diy solar

diy solar

Amp size for 2 lead acid batteries

mtt04

We are adding another battery to our forestry camp setup. (2 batteries now)

It's 12 volt and we are adding another to make a parallel Battey bank for more storage.

They 120AH each. Any idea what inline fuse size would be between the controller and the batteries ?best?

Also wire size recommendations.

They are attached to a 40A pwm charge controller.

Thanks

Awesome thanks
We were gonna use 0 gauge but I thought I would check with you guys.

It's got a 40 amp now.

What are you powering with the batteries? First figure out what the load is, then size your wire appropriately, then size your fuse based on the wire and load. If you have multiple things connected (E.g. inverter, PWM Controller, etc.) that have different amp requirements, you may need multiple fuses.

I suggest you read this post below as this is covered pretty extensively in the electrical code and can be difficult to grasp:

^^^^^^This thread should be pinned^^^^^ @Will Prowse

What are you powering with the batteries? First figure out what the load is, then size your wire appropriately, then size your fuse based on the wire and load. If you have multiple things connected (E.g. inverter, PWM Controller, etc.) that have different amp requirements, you may need multiple fuses.

I suggest you read this post below as this is covered pretty extensively in the electrical code and can be difficult to grasp:

He was asking between PWM and battery not load side , I'm pretty sure . The load size would be a completely different issue.

He was asking between PWM and battery not load side , I'm pretty sure . The load size would be a completely different issue.
Yeah it's just 3 - 5 watt LED DC lights. We have inverter for a few ac things. Very vary basic.

Thanks

Yeah thanks Will. It's a rough country forestry camp with a few rv DC lights. Less than an amp or two

Missed those couple words, whoops ?

On another note. Since we are gonna add another 12v 130AH battery I'm curious about battery cabling.

Total is 260Ah.

We have a crapload of 2/0 welding cable here in the shop. Would this work between the batteries or is strands an issue?

Welding cables have far more strands than typical battery cables.

Does anyone use welding cable for battery connections?
It's whitetail season soon and my workers are getting cranky. So I have to get moving
Thanks in advance

Back