diy solar

diy solar

Anker 767 NON Portable panel suggestions

There's a new CED location opening soon near me. I'll see if they're more willing to bring in some QCell stock.

There's a new CED location opening soon near me. I'll see if they're more willing to bring in some QCell stock.

The Qcells really like the cold and the snow and I'm typically making 400 watts before 9am.

Good to know about the cold performance. Just found some new 480's locally for $275! Winter isn't big for solar sales here, so I'm guessing they're eager to move inventory. Now i just need to fab a rack that will get them up above the 3 ft of snow we currently have.

Good to know about the cold performance. Just found some new 480's locally for $275! Winter isn't big for solar sales here, so I'm guessing they're eager to move inventory. Now i just need to fab a rack that will get them up above the 3 ft of snow we currently have.
I can’t wait to hear about your albedo results with snow!

-15F on a clear winter day. We're in the Utah mountains at about 6000ft.

-15F could technically produce a VOC just over 60V (60.75V by my calculations). These calculations tend to be a lil conservative for several reasons and IMO those panels would be fine. Ankers 531 portable panels have a 57.6VOC but they wouldn't provide me with a data sheet or temp coefficient beta. This leads me to believe they have a tad of headroom or some form of overvoltage protection. If someone wants to check my math.....

-15F=-26.11C
25C down to -26.11C is a 51.11C temp differential
51.11C X .27 temp coef=13.77/100= .1377
53.39VOC X .1379 = 7.36V increase
53.39+7.36= 60.75V @ -26C

Picking up panels Saturday. Any suggestions on sourcing ground rack components?
I don't want to over build, but these are some big panels, and once or twice a year we get crazy wind gusts that destroy trees and send trampolines into the next county.

Picking up panels Saturday. Any suggestions on sourcing ground rack components?
I don't want to over build, but these are some big panels, and once or twice a year we get crazy wind gusts that destroy trees and send trampolines into the next county.

I bought the Eco worthy rack for $125 off ebay. Added about $60 of wood and built a rack I can move around pretty easily. I anchor it down with "screw in the ground" dog leash tie outs and a strap. works awesome. Pics of it on my channel. Took a couple hours to assemble the rack and build the mount. In your situation, I'm not sure how it you can get your panels up above the snow and achieve good wind resistance. I'm not sure why it says "robot or human" but that's the tie outs

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll check that out on ebay. The Signature Solar rack that Will Prowse reviewed got my attention, but it's sold out.
For the snow, I may put in some concrete pilings in the spring to get it up a foot or two.

Doing some testing today with my new clamp meter and a 12awg vs 14awg XT60 to MC4 cable. Clearly the 12awg was superior and the Anker was able to pull more amps. Wish I had a 10awg laying around. Temp around 70 degrees and around 11:30 to 11:45 am so the panels were fully warmed up. I need a cold sunny day and more albedo! I’m kicking myself because I was using the 14awg cable when I got 918 watts last week.

Attachments

• 75A9D7C6-D77B-4C2E-BEAB-ED6F80A5AB9A.jpeg
    75A9D7C6-D77B-4C2E-BEAB-ED6F80A5AB9A.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 2EA9EE98-0A09-4B5A-B54F-13A47ACE11A5.jpeg
    2EA9EE98-0A09-4B5A-B54F-13A47ACE11A5.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 10
Just checked- our XT60 adapter cable is 10AWG.
If it ever stops snowing, I'll hook up the new 480s.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I'm new here and would be very appreciative of your support and time.

so I went ahead and bought the Anker 767 and at first was going to get their recommended panels. However, for my application semi permanent back up of my home i thought rigid panels would be best.
I think i am right in saying that for the non Anker panels, it is a hard task t get t the 1000w solar limit given the 60v and 20a capacity

for my application i would prefer smaller panels, 4x250w rather than two larger ones

would anyone here be able to advise if 4 of these would work well without having redundant panels that the Anker wont draw from?

here are the specs:

Panasonic 250 Watt HIT® N250 Slim Rigid Monocrystaline High Efficiency N-TYPE CELLS

• Peak power: 250W
  • Maximum power voltage: 44.3V
  • Maximum power current: 5.65A
  • Open circuit voltage: 53.2V
  • Short circuit current: 6.03A
  • Power tolerance: 0/+10%
  • Dimensions: 1,580 x 798 x 35 mm
  • Weight: 15 kg
  • Static load: 2400 Pa
  • Mounting holes for ease of installation
  • 2x 1m of high-quality 4mm2 single core solar cable
  • Male and female SMK waterproof connectors - compatible with MC4
many thanks in advance

You should be able to run 4 of those panels in parallel. Remember, in series.. you add of the voltage (VOC). In parallel, you add up the amperage. The Anker will only draw 20 amps. Those are really nice panels. Very expensive too.

Another alternative worth exploring is the JJN 200 Watt bifacial 12v 10BB panel. 6 of these panels could be wired 2S3P for 1200 watts and overpanel the Anker. I'm not sure how bifacial wattage gains affect voltage though. This setup would be cheaper than the NewPowa panels as well.
VOC 28.1V (2 in series = 56.2volts)
IMP 8.55 (3 in parallel = 25.65amps) *NOTE: the Anker can only draw 20 amps

The 56.2Volts is awefully close to the 60V max input rating but still less than Anker's own 531 200 watt panel at 57.6V.

Watchdoc,

I took a look at these and they seem good for the price. Could four of those be used in parallel for 800watts, or does that create an issue with too high of an amperage being that the 767 can only draw 20 amps?

Watchdoc,

I took a look at these and they seem good for the price. Could four of those be used in parallel for 800watts, or does that create an issue with too high of an amperage being that the 767 can only draw 20 amps?

The extra amps would be wasted and you're still talking about $1110 shipped for 6 panels. (2s3p) or $740 for 4 panels. If you want to take advantage of the bifacial gain, you would need to mount them appropriately. I wanted to try these myself or the NewPowa 250watt panels but the Qcells were just a much better deal at $288 a panel (they're cheaper now).

Rich solar also offers a 250watt 9bb panels that is $271 shipped on ebay with similar specs to the Newpowa

Ordered an Anker 767 last week and am expecting it soon. I have 3 Hyundai 305W panels here are the stats:
Nominal Output (Pmpp) W 305
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) V 39.42
Short Circuit Current (Isc) A 9.86
Voltage at Pmax (Vmpp) V 32.37
Current at Pmax (Impp) A 9.42
Module Efficiency % 18.4
Cell Type - mono-crystalline silicon
Maximum System Voltage V 1,500
Temperature Coefficient of Pmax %/K -0.417
Temperature Coefficient of Voc %/K -0.306
Temperature Coefficient of Isc %/K +0.046*
All data at STC (Standard Test Conditions).
I would like to run these 3 panels in parallel so I can get the 915W and stay below the 60V max however the 29.58A in this configuration has me concerned.
can I input the 29.58A with the Anker at 20A?
Thanks.

Ordered an Anker 767 last week and am expecting it soon. I have 3 Hyundai 305W panels here are the stats:
Nominal Output (Pmpp) W 305
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) V 39.42
Short Circuit Current (Isc) A 9.86
Voltage at Pmax (Vmpp) V 32.37
Current at Pmax (Impp) A 9.42
Module Efficiency % 18.4
Cell Type - mono-crystalline silicon
Maximum System Voltage V 1,500
Temperature Coefficient of Pmax %/K -0.417
Temperature Coefficient of Voc %/K -0.306
Temperature Coefficient of Isc %/K +0.046*
All data at STC (Standard Test Conditions).
I would like to run these 3 panels in parallel so I can get the 915W and stay below the 60V max however the 29.58A in this configuration has me concerned.
can I input the 29.58A with the Anker at 20A?
Thanks.
I wouldn't. Also, you're working voltage on those panels is very close to 32v and the Anker will likely stay in "10 amp mode" sometimes.

Back