diy solar

diy solar

Anker 767 Solar Adapter Safety Question

json2001

I was planning on ordering the anker 767 along with the 2x 200 watt Anker portable panels. The main purpose for the panels for me is to give me SOME option for recharging the unit during a prolonged blackout or during a camping trip.

I'm concerned about the safety issue Will brings up in his video that the solar connector Anker provides could be dangerous, so I'm interested in using the XT60 connector/adaptor will recommends, however I'm guessing I would need an additional adapter for the anker solar panels to conver the solar panel to the input type that will recommends?

I'm an ultra beginner here on solar and battery backup systems and would greatly appreciate if someone could explain it like i'm 5 and lay out all the parts/adapters I would need to hook these 200 watt panels up safely to the Anker 767.

I'm eager to learn!

I think I may have answered my own question, but would still appreciate someone helping validate or correct my understanding:
Do I have that right?

Sure does seem like a lot of hops, but I'm definetly interested in having a SAFE system and Will's comment about shocking yourself with the exposed terminals on the included Anker adapter got me worried.

I you are over thinking the connection issue. The Anker system seems OK to me, provided you treat the panel connectors with respect and avoid foolish actions. Just use XT 60 connections from panel to the input. You are supplied with a 4 port input addapter and each panel has cable provided.
By having multiple connectors and extra cable lengths you will have a possible lower reliable system and increased power loss .
A final point is by using all Anker parts any warranty claim cannot be refused. (Hopefully!)

Note if you position the panels so no sunlight falls on the cells, for example face down, there will be no power at the connections.

Although you could use alternative panels, some care In selection would be needed to ensure compatability with the Anker, as a newcomer staying with Anker products is perhaps the best option.

Mike

Thanks @mikefitz!

Entirely likely I'm way overthinking it. I'm brand new to this world and seeing Will's video where he seemed somewhat alarmed about that connecter style being unsafe made me think it was a major issue. But you make some great points and sounds like if you do all the connections with the panels folded/out of sun you don't run a risk of taking a jolt.

Helpful! Thank you!

To cover up the unused ports you can get dust covers for the 5-in-1 adapter. Do a search in Amazon and eBay for "XT60 Connector Male Plug Dust Cap".

Back