diy solar

diy solar

any favorite inverters for 48v battery bank?

Jeremiah

Solar Breakdancer
I'd like to get 2.5kw - 3kw for under $200 or a hybrid situation with MPPT for under $350.
I've found solutions but it's hard to know if they'll hold up.
My load won't usually be 2.5kw on it; I'm adding some room just in case someone hits the 1.3kw blender while the washing machine is going.
Also would like to be able to power a small window Air conditioning unit not at the same time as those other things).

specs: 48v LifePO4 battery bank (to be built), 220v AC system. Thanks in advance.

I'd like to get 2.5kw - 3kw for under $200 or a hybrid situation with MPPT for under $350.

I would like to see a unicorn jumping over a rainbow! :cool:

You can get a Reliable brand 1500W, 48v inverter for $162 and a Victron 100/20 48v MPPT for $166. That's the closest to your dream deal I can get.

I've found solutions but it's hard to know if they'll hold up.
My load won't usually be 2.5kw on it; I'm adding some room just in case someone hits the 1.3kw blender while the washing machine is going.
Also would like to be able to power a small window Air conditioning unit not at the same time as those other things).

specs: 48v LifePO4 battery bank (to be built), 220v AC system. Thanks in advance.
The problem with your pricing desires is, mostly severely overrated specs there...
if you buy an inverter with those specs for that price point, unless you find one that is used, it will likely not come close to the needs you have.
Often, when a low priced option has huge capacity, it isn’t going to output anywhere close for a measurable period...

best is to save, and get quality components that have proven abilities.

That said, the all in one units in European voltages are plentiful... in the $450 range.

That said, the all in one units in European voltages are plentiful... in the $450 range.
Yes the voltage here is 220v within the European range.
I have been seeing many hybrids in the range you mentioned.

The problem with your pricing desires is, mostly severely overrated specs there...
if you buy an inverter with those specs for that price point, unless you find one that is used, it will likely not come close to the needs you have.
Often, when a low priced option has huge capacity, it isn’t going to output anywhere close for a measurable period...

best is to save, and get quality components that have proven abilities.
This is what I was concerned about.
When I noticed that most of the chinese companies list their inverters as the surge spec instead of the rated spec. I thought well there may be other areas where exaggeration may catch on. Does it help if I adjust my system to a lower "more common" voltage i.e. 24v to 220v?
I can juggle my usage to make it more like 2kw. I haven't built the new battery bank yet so I'm flexible on the design.
I was gonna go for 48v to reduce loss but if it means I can't have power then nuts.

The Giandel pure sine wave inverter line WIll recommended for a budget inverter seemed close to my budget when I checked the ebay listings but seems they only make American voltage versions (110v) (though my blender, espresso machine, coffee maker, and instapot all run through a step down transformer on 110 v).
On my 12 volt system I ran everything on a nice modified sin. inverter but of course the Air conditioner I didn't use and the refrigerator I left on the mains. Applying KISS I wanted to avoid having 2 inverters in my setup but maybe I could get a cheaper mod. wave inverter for most things and just get a decent 1.5 kw pure sinewave inverter for the other stuff.

At the moment I use an APC computer ups inverter, pue sine. You can get them cheap second hand. The smart ups 3000 will output 2.5kw, and they are happy at 14s for nmc chemistry. I think the minimum voltage is 31.5v although I obviously don't ever reach that. Upper is 58 or so. They seem to be good with a surge, my 3k used to kick my 1500w compressor into action. Maybe worth a look..

At the moment I use an APC computer ups inverter, pue sine. You can get them cheap second hand. The smart ups 3000 will output 2.5kw, and they are happy at 14s for nmc chemistry. I think the minimum voltage is 31.5v although I obviously don't ever reach that. Upper is 58 or so. They seem to be good with a surge, my 3k used to kick my 1500w compressor into action. Maybe worth a look..
I had wondered if it would work to hook a big batt bank to a UPS; your experience confirms it thanks!

Had good success with mine. 3k seems to be the biggest @48v, 5k is at 96v. As they are designed for vrla batteries, it's fairly easy to work out the max and min voltages based on the expected charge /discharge profile. The only slight draw back is they are slightly hungry on no/low loads. Also beef up cooling if you have a constant heavy load. But the surge capability is good as is the avr.
Good luck

Had good success with mine. 3k seems to be the biggest @48v, 5k is at 96v. As they are designed for vrla batteries, it's fairly easy to work out the max and min voltages based on the expected charge /discharge profile. The only slight draw back is they are slightly hungry on no/low loads. Also beef up cooling if you have a constant heavy load. But the surge capability is good as is the avr.
Good luck
I have a BEST brand 5Kw 48v unit...

If you find one let me know!
I've found some Hybrid solutions for this price range but who knows how reliable they are. If someone is willing to go PWM there are plenty of 48v Hybrids pushing 2.5kw or more for around $350. For folks who want 24v systems it's easier to find. Some of the companies have decent feedback ratings on Alibaba but who knows if that can be trusted. I'll try to come back and post some of those today or tomorrow.

I'd like to get 2.5kw - 3kw for under $200 or a hybrid situation with MPPT for under $350....

If you find one let me know!
I would like to see a unicorn jumping over a rainbow! :cool:
Hehe well not sure if any of these qualify as "unicorns jumping over a rainbow", maybe just as stallions near a pretty waterfall :p

OK for those interested, here is an inverter that fits the bill. CE, ROHS, looks solid, free shipping, and lots of great feedback from buyers.
it's $213 shipped for true 2.5kw (5k peak) pure sine, you can choose 12v-48v for the input (they can do higher per request 60v 72v etc) and 120-240v for the output.
SWIPOWER 2500kw pure sine inverter for $213 free shipping on AliExpress.
So that fits the bill if just a solid 2.5kw inverter for $200.
Now for the finds in the area of Hybrid with MPPT 2.5kw-3kw 48v for under $350:
$345 (listing says $370 but agent quoted me $345, lemme know if you need agent name). 48v 5kw MPPT high voltage in allowed (up to 500v) batteryless possible comms: usb, rs232, WIFI optional, warranty: 2 years certs: CE/RoHS, CE ISO9001:
Soo that's 5kw, double the power I was looking for with good certifications and 2 year warranty. I like the idea of running at 1/2 power of the rating especially since the quality of these finds are questionable.

Same company has $302 unit: 48v 4kw MPPT

different company - I owned a couple of 12v grid tie inverters 1kw from these guys that worked well.
$365 48v 230v 5kva Hybrid MPPT, usb/rs232 wifi optional
warranty 1 year

Thread is about 48v+ systems but worth mentioning: They have a very cheap 24v PWM system, $240 24v 230v 3kva PWM

different company:
$280 48v 220v 3 kw Grid Hybrid Solar Power Inverter System Hybrid Solar Air Conditioner Inverter
warranty: 18 months. They also offer a 24v and 12v model. Certifications: CE ISO9001
Brand: Sinovo

I've got other bookmarks may add more listings later.

Last edited:
Hehe well not sure if any of these qualify as "unicorns jumping over a rainbow", maybe just as stallions near a pretty waterfall :p

OK for those interested, here is an inverter that fits the bill. CE, ROHS, looks solid, free shipping, and lots of great feedback from buyers.
it's $213 shipped for true 2.5kw (5k peak) pure sine, you can choose 12v-48v for the input (they can do higher per request 60v 72v etc) and 120-240v for the output.
SWIPOWER 2500kw pure sine inverter for $213 free shipping on AliExpress.
So that fits the bill if just a solid 2.5kw inverter for $200.
Now for the finds in the area of Hybrid with MPPT 2.5kw-3kw 48v for under $350:
$345 (listing says $370 but agent quoted me $345, lemme know if you need agent name). 48v 5kw MPPT high voltage in allowed (up to 500v) batteryless possible comms: usb, rs232, WIFI optional, warranty: 2 years certs: CE/RoHS, CE ISO9001:
Soo that's 5kw, double the power I was looking for with good certifications and 2 year warranty. I like the idea of running at 1/2 power of the rating especially since the quality of these finds are questionable.

Same company has $302 unit: 48v 4kw MPPT

different company - I owned a couple of 12v grid tie inverters 1kw from these guys that worked well.
$365 48v 230v 5kva Hybrid MPPT, usb/rs232 wifi optional
warranty 1 year

Thread is about 48v+ systems but worth mentioning: They have a very cheap 24v PWM system, $240 24v 230v 3kva PWM

different company:
$280 48v 220v 3 kw Grid Hybrid Solar Power Inverter System Hybrid Solar Air Conditioner Inverter
warranty: 18 months. They also offer a 24v and 12v model. Certifications: CE ISO9001
Brand: Sinovo

I've got other bookmarks may add more listings later.
Yup, waterfalls and all!

The wild part is how inexpensive that is. And exciting is that quality is getting better. Now at those prices you can kiss a cast aluminum communications grade chassis out the window along with some of the things i take for granted, like beefy insulators on terminals and bus standoffs, buses...... i mean alot of the available stuff has a chassis like a knockoff coleman camp stove or a cheap toaster..... nix that. I have seen worse chassis than a cheap toaster. In a toaster its the cord, switch, and chassis that is expensive, nichrome wire too, but that chassis is probably the expensive part.

In power-electronics the circuit components and computing are expensive so the chassis, terminals etc suffer even it it will do it and man i cant believe how nice some of the inexpensive inverter displays are....displays alone cost more than that. Heres an inverter charger attached, high voltage dc to boot.

Im sure you know these characteristics.

The inverter i use runs 250ish but has no features. Modified sine wave. 8 watt standby and high efficiency, heavy surge capable, can be left on to equalize.

Rf noise/yup. charger/nope. And im happy with it. Now, if it were to die unexpectedly id look to something like the hybrid mppt versions.

The items you posted really are almost cheap enough to buy and let fry.

"If he dies. He dies." Swartzenegger or lundgren, cant remember which.

Last edited:
Back