diy solar

diy solar

Anybody familiar with this 16s 6A balancer?

Maast

Compulsive Tinkerer
I need a good value solution for six 16 cell 200AHish packs in a 16s6p config and I came across this. I dont need a monitor or under or over voltage shutdowns, I have other things for that I just need a balancer and it looks like this'll fit the bill. Initially I was going to go with a two of the 8s Deligreen balancers daisy chained but they're expensive at $160 a pop and I'd need 12 of them.

Any thoughts?

I suppose I could aggregate them like Poz did, which would also keep all of them all in-line with each other in their cell group and balance between each cell group. I'll have to think about the pro/cons of that arrangement though.

If your building your own packs and using a BMS, why not invest in a better BMS that can do the balancing and interact with each other ? Are you not complicating something that does not need to be ? I have discovered over the decades that the KISS rule applied is usually the best solution.

These devices look at adjacent cells to detect "imbalance", normally 0.1 volts to trigger. Good or bad, they work locally cell to cell without knowing what the overall pack looks like.

If your building your own packs and using a BMS, why not invest in a better BMS that can do the balancing and interact with each other ? Are you not complicating something that does not need to be ? I have discovered over the decades that the KISS rule applied is usually the best solution.
I tend to prefer to have functions separated out, it allows me to repair, replace, or upgrade just that function without having replace everything - and I already have a low voltage disconnect and a couple 400A NC DC contactors. Also, I dont trust the longevity of any of the value priced chinese BMSs and I dont want to be left in the lurch at an inopportune time. I'm going to trust the Radians and flexmax overvoltage protection and I dont need freeze protection.

Besides, I'm having a heck of a time finding a 6 channel 16s battery monitor that'll talk to a PC and to find one that also does more than a 1A and not break the bank is going to be impossible. IMO with used batteries individual cell monitoring is mandatory.

Back