diy solar

diy solar

Anyone have a wiring diagram for an Enphase system I can modify for my power company?

Integraolig

Hi all,

Working on getting my system approved from my electric company so that I can order everything and install. Of course the couple of places I was looking to order the parts from WILL do a wiring diagram AFTER I purchase... but I can't purchase anything UNTIL it's approved first.

So I'm trying to find a wiring diagram that anyone has used and given to their electrical company for approval... that I can use and modify for my specific install.

The planned system is as follows:
28 - 410 Watt Jinko PV Modules
28 - Enphase, IQ 8+ Micro Inverters
1 - Enphase IQ8 X-IQ-AM1-240-4 Combiner
1 - Enphase Energy System Shutdown switch
1 - IQ System Controller 2
1 - Communications Kit

When I worked for Verizon designing the flight recorders and network stations (black boxes) for aircrafts, I had a program to easily create schematics... that was 20 years ago. All I have handy now is Photoshop so getting a good starting point with most items in there would be great!

Thanks everyone for the help!

Using photoshop to do drafting will be a real pain. have you considered buying something? Even Visio would be better. you can get Visio on a subscription for a few dollars a month. Then end the subscription after you are finished with your project. It has a bunch of electrical engineering templates built in that would really simplify your efforts

I lifted the above from a proposal. It was not thoroughly reviewed. I noticed the cable ID in the chart at the top is off by one.

Just a couple of comments. Suggest showing connection to the load center at the bottom of the buss rather than the top. Also CHECK the box rating. I have a 200A service with a Square D load center. It has a 200A main breaker BUT the panel/busses are rated for 225A. That extra 25 amps means a lot when derating. A 200A bus with a 200 ampere main breaker has a maximum allowed solar breaker of (120%) X 200 -200 = 40A. A 225 ampere bus with a 200 ampere main breaker will allow a huge solar breaker---- (120%) X 225 - 200 = 70 ampere maximum breaker.

EDIT:----SORRY--- I did not notice or at least pay attention. Your connection is a line side, not through the main load center.

Just a couple of comments. Suggest showing connection to the load center at the bottom of the buss rather than the top. Also CHECK the box rating. I have a 200A service with a Square D load center. It has a 200A main breaker BUT the panel/busses are rated for 225A. That extra 25 amps means a lot when derating. A 200A bus with a 200 ampere main breaker has a maximum allowed solar breaker of (120%) X 200 -200 = 40A. A 225 ampere bus with a 200 ampere main breaker will allow a huge solar breaker---- (120%) X 225 - 200 = 70 ampere maximum breaker.
This setup is a supply side setup.
It is hooked up between the meter and the main panel breaker and it needs/must have it's own fused disconnect with a minimum of 60 amps.
This setup (supply side) does _not_ derate the busbar so everything you wrote is not applicable in this particular setup!

This setup is a supply side setup.
It is hooked up between the meter and the main panel breaker and it needs/must have it's own fused disconnect with a minimum of 60 amps.
This setup (supply side) does _not_ derate the busbar so everything you wrote is not applicable in this particular setup!

You type faster than me : )

Thanks all! Looking at Visio per suggested but something has to be better suited for this specific industry? After some searching I've found multiple Windows apps that help with building and selling the system, but not one of them have line drawing capabilities which is astonishing. Why not have everything included? I've not found a single schematic software tailored to solar at all.

I drew mine up using a .pdf file, but. It was the pro version- not worth it if you have to buy the program.
Worst case is to print out something that is close, then use white out or taped paper covering the part that yours is different; then pen and ink the changes ( you might even initial/date to look like official red-lines) , then scan as a .pdf file and presto.

Oh yes , enphase has .pdf files on their website technical sections.

Back