diy solar

diy solar

Anyone have experience with heat shrink tube to wrap prismatic cells? I am getting wrinkles :-(

Terrapin

I picked up about ten feet of tube from Battery Hookup to wrap my Lishen cells before finalizing the 4S build using double sided tape and worm drive hose/ac duct clamp. I need this to fit in a std. battery box so a rod compression was not an option. The extra layer of protection seemed like a good idea. It's nice thick stuff.

I have wasted almost 1/2 of the tube wrap on attempts to get a flat finished surface. so the cells will sit flush. Nope. I tried starting at the middle of long side out horizontal, then vertical, then circular and finally short side.

I have enough left for four successful wraps or the rest is wasted... So I thought I'd ask.

If anyone has suggestions I am all ears.

Thx

Maybe you are using too much heat?

I've never done it, but this guy just used a regular hair dryer instead of a heat gun.

There are other videos on Youtube also.

I've never done prismatic cells. Cylindrical cells are hard enough.

+1 to hair dryer. Heat gun can overdo it.

It's a damn art form.

I wish I had thought to add a layer of that roll up cutting board on the sides, or even wrapped the whole thing before my shrink wrap.

output_image1617655573264.jpg.

Reactions: opi
Hmmm. First, that's WELL fitting shrink pre-shurnk.

That's similar to how I did cylindricals - get the ends shrunk up to secure the perimeter and "anchor" the edges, then shrink the middle. Just more edges with prismatic.

Hmmm. First, that's WELL fitting shrink pre-shurnk.

That's similar to how I did cylindricals - get the ends shrunk up to secure the perimeter and "anchor" the edges, then shrink the middle. Just more edges with prismatic.
Yeah, I would have added rollup cutting board if I'd thought of it, I had room to add some material. It looked way easier on that video with less space for things to move. My best results by: First one end, opposite corners so slack stays even. Then finish that end's other two corners like a tag welds. Next hit the opposite sides corners the same way while stretching it tight. Then the end's edges, then the lg sides from one end to the other evenly, and finally the small sides. YMMV. You can see on cell two a tiny bulge at the top edge side from trying to do the whole end at once. 3 and 4 were really better. All in all once I add the tape it will be a win. The big thing was not having folds pressing into the sides of the cells.

Last edited:
No, I just added a layer of wrap to each cell per photo in post #5. I would though but haven't found the right size.
Where did you get the shrink wrap to do a whole cell? I like the way it looks and your idea of including a cutting board within the wrap.

I also wonder about shrink wrapping four cells together to add some compressive force to the cells?

Back