diy solar

diy solar

Are Signature Solar refurbished items a bad idea?

Bryn Thomas

I found some great-looking refurbished items on Signature Solar's website, but noticed that the 5-year warranty they offer on new products is reduced to only 2 years on refurbished items, which seems concerning. For context, I will not be using the items very often. I'll be building a simple DIY solar generator that will only get used in emergency situations, although I want to be able to build it out in the future and use the components in a solar-powered tiny home.

I am curious if anyone has purchased refurbished items from Signature Solar and can offer advice

2 years give you plenty of time to find issues. Use it often, long enough for infant mortality.

"refurbished" probably means returned a short time after purchase. Doesn't mean it is aged and has less life left.

For a 20-30% discound likely worth it for EG4 products people don't complain too much about. Not sure if I would buy Growatt refurbs from them though, but that might be partly just my bias against Growatt.

IMO it depends on what you’re buying and who pays for return shipping if there is a problem.
I might buy an Inverter but batteries that’s a whole other thing.
I do not like not knowing exactly how hard they were charged and discharged by the previous owner.

Last edited:
Don’t quote me on this, but a Victron dealer (who sells open box and used Victron stuff) told me that the warranty goes with the serial number for Victron. So if the device was built in 2015, the 5 year warranty expired in 2020, but if it was built in 2022, then it still has 4 years left on the warranty. They said they don’t sell anything old, but the lower priced items labeled “used” might be a bit older (usually a year or less but sometimes more) and will have a shorter warranty left.

So if SS sells Victron stuff, and the refurbished item is only a year old, I would certainly question them about the reduced 2-year warranty when it should be 4 years in that case.

Dam sold out of the refurbed 24v eg4s already. The V1s are on sale and tempting me...

I would think the refurbished item might be better than new because there going to be checked out to make sure they work the right way first and may also been updated, verses a new product in the box from factory not checked out or updated.

I spoke with them over the phone, and unfortunately, they can't give any kind of guarantee on the number of cycles their refurbished batteries have already been put through or how old they are, so I'll be skipping them for now.

Would BMS report the data? Something like a BatteryFax report ...

With specs like 6000 cycles, very difficult to put a dent in that in a short time.
The question would be what abuse could occur.

Modest discount, though. Depends on appetite for savings/risk.

I bought 2 x 48V EG4-LL V1 batteries refurbished back in April to fill the 2 empty slots in my rack.

I have had no issues, and am 80 miles from SS if I need to return something.

I was about to ask this question but found this thread from a search.

Interested in any experience with SS Refurbished Eg4 invertors and/or batteries.

Not sure exactly what a refurbished battery is in any case.....probably just simply 'used' and cleaned up with Armor All?

Thanks in advance!

Apparently I was too slow pulling the trigger....sold out of the reconditioned batteries....still tempted by the reconditioned EG4 6500ex....

Apparently I was too slow pulling the trigger....sold out of the reconditioned batteries....still tempted by the reconditioned EG4 6500ex....
If you were one of my close friends or relation and I had 1 for sale, I would not sell it to ya. I had one, put it up for sale here and no bites at all. It ended up going back for a credit. There are mixed opinions on this unit. I'd save up a little more for some thing better. I hear theirs going to be a little brother to the 18kpv about the 6kw size. I'd be looking to some thing like that as I have the 18kpv now and it's been good to me. Unless you like having to fiddle around all the time with a unit.

If you were one of my close friends or relation and I had 1 for sale, I would not sell it to ya. I had one, put it up for sale here and no bites at all. It ended up going back for a credit. There are mixed opinions on this unit. I'd save up a little more for some thing better. I hear theirs going to be a little brother to the 18kpv about the 6kw size. I'd be looking to some thing like that as I have the 18kpv now and it's been good to me. Unless you like having to fiddle around all the time with a unit.
Thanks for the input!

Yeah, I've seen a number of complaints.....I've also seen many pleased customers (perhaps they didn't have any problems/issues or minor issues).

I'm still on the fence but leaning more positive than negative, but regardless of that, reconditioned equipment is a whole different matter....

We'll see....have not purchased anything from them at this point.

Last edited:
Back