diy solar

diy solar

Automatic Transfer switch in lvx6048 flawless on grid to battery, but blips battery to grid

vampwat

I actually have a SunGoldPower Bluepower TP6048 hybrid inverter, but it is the same machine as the MPP LVX6048 that I see talked about a lot more here. When it transfers from grid to battery, it is flawless. Not so much as a dim light or blip in any electronics. But when it switches back to grid power from using the battery, I get quite a bit more delay. Enough to make the lights flash and restart some devices like the TV. It also causes my hue bulbs to all turn on which is not ideal in the middle of the night.

Because I primarily use my system for peak power arbitrage (storing energy during off-peak and then using the energy during peak), it switches every day, so it is kind of an annoyance.

Does anyone else have a similar issue? Is this a common problem with any hybrid inverter? I haven't really seen any settings or much talk about this.

I actually have a SunGoldPower Bluepower TP6048 hybrid inverter, but it is the same machine as the MPP LVX6048 that I see talked about a lot more here. When it transfers from grid to battery, it is flawless. Not so much as a dim light or blip in any electronics. But when it switches back to grid power from using the battery, I get quite a bit more delay. Enough to make the lights flash and restart some devices like the TV. It also causes my hue bulbs to all turn on which is not ideal in the middle of the night.

Because I primarily use my system for peak power arbitrage (storing energy during off-peak and then using the energy during peak), it switches every day, so it is kind of an annoyance.

Does anyone else have a similar issue? Is this a common problem with any hybrid inverter? I haven't really seen any settings or much talk about this.

Before we all start guessing -- have you asked the Supplier if there has been any issues or maybe a firmware fix?

Before we all start guessing -- have you asked the Supplier if there has been any issues or maybe a firmware fix?
I sent them all the details yesterday. I will post it here if they get back to me with any useful information.

I suspect it takes a little longer to switch back to grid due to either syncing output to grid or the time it takes the relays to pull back in.
Might be the other way round, I don't know if the relays are normally open or normally closed, but you get my drift ?

I have a Sol Ark and I see something similar during our weekly generator exercise cycle. Only a fraction of what you are experiencing but flawless on transfer to battery but on the way back off battery if I’m looking real hard I might see a slight flicker. Clocks and other electronics no issues.

First time I tested I did experience a 30 second blackout before it switched back. Very concerning. Sol Ark Tech stayed on the phone while we ran through another test and it worked fine and ever since.

SunGoldPower support has suggested that I set it to Utility priority and then cut off utility power to the unit to engage the battery then reconnect grid to switch back. So I will be trying this as soon as I get a chance to rig up a contactor.

Ok, so setting the priority to Solar/Grid/Battery and then disconnecting the inverter from the grid to force battery usage and then reconnecting in order to return to grid (rather than changing the priority mode on the inverter) does work (y).

I think it would be ideal if the unit included a way to remotely switch to battery and I'm sure this could be a software update, but this will do.

I wired up a relay and set it up to control it via an esp32 with esphome and home assistant/node red, so now when I switch the incoming grid back on, the TP6048 switches back to grid flawlessly, no blips and no clocks to reset!

Ok, so setting the priority to Solar/Grid/Battery and then disconnecting the inverter from the grid to force battery usage and then reconnecting in order to return to grid (rather than changing the priority mode on the inverter) does work (y).

Damned if this didn't work! This has been driving me crazy for a couple weeks now and I tried your suggestion. Cut the breaker to the inverter, switched the unit back to SUB, and then flipped the breaker on. There was a tiny flicker, but nothing in the house reset or was affected! I know this is an older thread, but thanks!!!!

I think it would be ideal if the unit included a way to remotely switch to battery and I'm sure this could be a software update, but this will do.
This would be a nice firmware upgrade. Once I have more solar (5k right now, but 15k planned) I will probably just let the batteries run full time, but for now flipping the breaker is not a deal breaker (pun intended) ....

Damned if this didn't work! This has been driving me crazy for a couple weeks now and I tried your suggestion. Cut the breaker to the inverter, switched the unit back to SUB, and then flipped the breaker on. There was a tiny flicker, but nothing in the house reset or was affected! I know this is an older thread, but thanks!!!!

This would be a nice firmware upgrade. Once I have more solar (5k right now, but 15k planned) I will probably just let the batteries run full time, but for now flipping the breaker is not a deal breaker (pun intended) ....
No problem. That's why I like to post when I figure something out. Nothing worse than finding someone else with your same problem but no answer posted.

I have come across one other option, but I haven't yet tested it. There is a setting for the inverter to set a time to start and time to stop using AC grid power. So in cases for people that want to force it to use the battery at a certain time every day, you could set it so that AC grid power stops being used at a certain time. I want more flexibility, so I haven't set mine up that way. But I do have my home assistant setup to cut off grid power by triggering a contactor in order to force battery usage every day 4-9pm during peak billing.

Back