diy solar

diy solar

Avoid this so your EG4 6500 EX will not get fried.

Proyecto_Calaveras

So I have installed a EG4 6500 EX with 15kWh of EG4 48V batteries and 4kw of solar.

The other day a carpenter visited us to install a closet. I had a portable air conditioner, computer and the frigde running (about 2000W).

So the carpenter starts an old makita circuar saw (14A) and a soon as they cut into the wood the inverter was fried. The DC inputs got shortcircuited and the battery overcurrent protection kicked in. Inverter dead. Apparently the surge was so big that the mosfets/IGBTs from the DC input got burned. Too fast for the system to react.

Call signature solar and send some pictures from my setup and have gotten no answer.

For me this is an absolutly no go. You never know who will connect what on your AC outlets. I mean they see a plug, whay not.

I will switch to low frequency inverters like the EG 6000. I hope the tranformer will save me from those big surges frying the inverter. I will have to live with the high idle consumption.

Any thoughts if I am doing right or wrong? Been in a similar situation anyone?

That should not have happened. That circular saw shouldn’t have been able to do that. The inverter is rated at 108 amps for a very short surge and 54 continuous (not that it’s a good idea). That Makita isn’t going to do that. I use two of its older cousins LV 6548 and start table saws, big shopvacs and air compressor(120V) all the time for a year and a half now. Not a peep of a problem. No warning no tripping. I think you have a warranty issue.

You got a bad inverter, my SP6548 brothers have taken far worse than that and keep coming back for more. Water heater, dryer and then AC compressor kicking on without an easy start for 6 months.
I’ve run the LG dryer and an old 2-1/2 HVAC at the same time by accident and it had no problems with it but I try to avoid it because someone could also start a coffee maker, microwave or dishwasher and put it over the top. No sense in pushing my luck.

Waaay back a few years ago, David poz had a problem with his reliable inverters and a chop saw the latest would instantly brick the inverters.
Something about high amp chop saws and the backemf fries inverters with poor voltage control filtering.

So I have installed a EG4 6500 EX with 15kWh of EG4 48V batteries and 4kw of solar.

The other day a carpenter visited us to install a closet. I had a portable air conditioner, computer and the frigde running (about 2000W).

So the carpenter starts an old makita circuar saw (14A) and a soon as they cut into the wood the inverter was fried. The DC inputs got shortcircuited and the battery overcurrent protection kicked in. Inverter dead. Apparently the surge was so big that the mosfets/IGBTs from the DC input got burned. Too fast for the system to react.

Call signature solar and send some pictures from my setup and have gotten no answer.

For me this is an absolutly no go. You never know who will connect what on your AC outlets. I mean they see a plug, whay not.

I will switch to low frequency inverters like the EG 6000. I hope the tranformer will save me from those big surges frying the inverter. I will have to live with the high idle consumption.

Hello everyone, I’m new here, but I have a similar problem, I have 4 EG4 6500 inverters that were going like a old Singer sewing machine, then one went kaput, was running split phase I have 44 460 watt blue sun panels, called signature solar took about 80 pictures done numerous tests on inverter and no reply from them, hope you get better results than I’ve gotten, from the reviews of the BBB S/S is very hard to get warrenty work done, I will probably have to buy another inverter in order to get my system up because you sure can’t get any help from S/S

It’s possible the contractor was using a worm drive circular saw. Some of the older ones basically present a short circuit for a couple hundred milliseconds while starting. Way worse than a standard circ. saw.
I can tell when the neighbor behind is using his by the effect on my grid supply.
The initial load is short enough that breakers don’t respond.
Typically they are used for framing work and not cabinets.

That should not have happened. That circular saw shouldn’t have been able to do that. The inverter is rated at 108 amps for a very short surge and 54 continuous

I'm going to
(not that it’s a good idea). That Makita isn’t going to do that. I use two of its older cousins LV 6548 and start table saws, big shopvacs and air compressor(120V) all the time for a year and a half now. Not a peep of a problem. No warning no tripping. I think you have a warranty issue.

Perhaps your breakers or lines were undersized. It seems to this under-educated layman that your breakers should have tripped and prevented the damage of which you speak.

Hello everyone, I’m new here, but I have a similar problem, I have 4 EG4 6500 inverters that were going like a old Singer sewing machine, then one went kaput, was running split phase I have 44 460 watt blue sun panels, called signature solar took about 80 pictures done numerous tests on inverter and no reply from them, hope you get better results than I’ve gotten, from the reviews of the BBB S/S is very hard to get warrenty work done, I will probably have to buy another inverter in order to get my system up because you sure can’t get any help from S/S
Post your issues here:

I know what dealer to avoid:

That sucks. Especially as I see SS sunsetting the 6548. Harder to replace or get warranty work.

Back