diy solar

diy solar

Backup Generator Charging LifePo4

I’m trying to build my first system and have a question I can’t find the answer to. I have a Yamaha 2000 inverter generator but I also have a No-name 5000w non-inverter generator. Can I use the non-inverter generator (larger gas tank) to power my LiFePO4 enabled charger? I’m guessing it depends on how well the charger handles the “dirty” AC output from the generator and therefore how stable the DC output from the charger is.

Doing the math, it may be irrelevant. My charger can output 50 amps at 24VDC (1200w). Even at 100% efficiency that is less than the output of the Yamaha (1800w = 15 amp at 120VAC).
I have a 4700/3800 Gas - 4300/3600 - Propane, dual fuel generator that I power my small 1988 class C with. I've been using the current from this generator to power my LiFePO4 battery bank charger when needed for some time now and have had no problems. inverter generators are too expensive for what you get in the output in my opinion, and everything that might be affected is going through my inverter anyhow. I just use the generator to run lights, charger, and the big 15K BTU rooftop A\C. I have a 6K BTU window unit hooked through a thermostat off of my batteries. It does a good job at night. I'm looking to buy some of those $50 used solar panels Will P. just did a video about a week ago. Looking for someone who might be interested in going in together to save on shipping. You would have to be in the Houston area though.

I’m looking at doing something similar. Please give me feedback. I was thinking of using either a MPP or Growatt 3K off grid inverter. I would not tie the AC out into my off grid panel. I’d just put a receptacle for testing. My plan was to use it basically as my battery charger. The Generator would / could be anything up to 5kw. You want to run the generator no more than 60% load so that you have clean power from it.

My system has (3) 5kw inverters in parallel and I don’t want the AC from the generator messing with them.

Back