diy solar

diy solar

Badly balanced LiFePo4 batteries after 6 months

TomPanning

We installed my dad's solar system on his RV about 6 months ago, and the batteries are further out of balance than I would expect over that amount of time.

He has 4 LiTime 12V 200 Ah batteries in a 2s2p configuration. All batteries were fully charged before installation although we can't remember whether we connected them in parallel to balance them initially. To connect the batteries in series, he has a copper bar connecting the positive and negative terminals. To connect the two series in parallel, and he has 2/0 wire going from the ends of the series to the rest of the system.

When he ran the inverter, it was shutting off because of low voltage. We checked the voltage, and when the system is resting it's reading around 28 V, but when a heavy load like the microwave starts on the inverter, the voltage at the batteries drops below 20 V. We turned off the battery disconnect switch so that there was no load on the batteries, and here are the voltages of the individual batteries (I adapted the image from Renogy's site because it is laid out exactly like his setup):
Unbalanced batteries.png

We're planning to manually rebalance the batteries, and then install an active battery balancer. Is there anything else that we should be checking? We already checked that all the terminals connections are tight.

Back