diy solar

diy solar

Battery Charge Parameters

Simpleone71

I have finally powered up my battery bank (6 eg4 ll-s) batteries on my Victron system. I see the battery pack in my Cerbo GX, do I need to set the battery specifics (charging rate, float rate, etc) or does the BMS handle it via the Cerbo? If so, where do I go on the Cerbo interface? I dug around a bit and could not find it.

Also, I want my system to prefer battery over grid. I am not able to do that so far. When I unplug the grid power, everything on my inverter shuts down and does not seem to know there is 30.72 kWh of batteries to support it.

I feel these are simple questions and seem to have seen where to set these things, but can no longer find them.

I thought I was at the end of my journey to get this working and now have this setback.

Last edited:
I have finally powered up my battery bank (6 eg4 ll-s) batteries on my Victron system. I see the battery pack in my Cerbo GX, do I need to set the battery specifics (charging rate, float rate, etc) or does the BMS handle it via the Cerbo? If so, where do I go on the Cerbo interface? I dug around a bit and could not find it.

BMS handles it all.

The only thing you can do is impose more restrictive limits in DVCC - max voltage and max current. It will only respect these if they are LOWER than the BMS values. BMS values are visible in VRM advanced tab with the battery monitor (512) widget that indicates control limits.

Also, I want my system to prefer battery over grid. I am not able to do that so far. When I unplug the grid power, everything on my inverter shuts down and does not seem to know there is 30.72 kWh of batteries to support it.

Is your battery connected to the inverter's DC terminals?
Is your inverter on?
Are all batteries on?
Have you done ANY custom configuration?

If yes, yes, yes, no, then there is no reason for the inverter to shut down. Something is wrong with your connections, wiring or the hardware, or you have changed a setting.

I invite you to share your VRM portal (mine is in my signature) and use VEConfigure3 to share all your inverter settings tabs.

Here is where I shard it on the VRM portal.

I measured the voltage at the inverter and it is 57.0v. My EG4-LLS batteries show in Standby. I'm not sure if that is what they should show or not. The Cerbo GX says they are at 100% charge. This is a brand new setup and I have not done any custom configurations that I am aware of. I will use VEConfigure3 to share the inverter tab.

My batteries at the terminal are 53.8v. It says charging is absorption. My batteries say SOC is full.

To start it up, I turn on the BMS of all batteries, then flip each battery breaker on. Then I power on the inverter. It only powers on when I plug in the AC in side. I would have thought it would power up with just the batteries on also. During the inverter power up, it blinks and low battery and the Cerbo GX warns of low battery, but then it clears itself once up and going. The inverter side of the lights are all off, nothing flashing.

From the batteries I go to a Lynx Shunt and then a Lynx distributor, they all show fine and that the fuses are good.

In the pictures, I just have two batteries on, but I have had all 6 on also.

Another few questions, it says the batteries are in absorption, should they not be in float as they are 100% charged?

Should my Lynx shunt show up as a device in the device list?

Attachments

• PXL_20240511_220026508.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240511_220026508.MP.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20240511_220039322.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240511_220039322.MP.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20240511_220044660.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240511_220044660.MP.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20240511_220050100.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240511_220050100.MP.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Inverter Tab.png
    Inverter Tab.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I figured it out and it was a stupid oversight on my part. I had not put the fuse on the lynx shunt. It was showing orange not red but I finally pulled the cover and figured it out.

I've been slowly building this system out and thought I had put the fuse in a month back.

Anyway, I appreciate the help.

I figured it out and it was a stupid oversight on my part. I had not put the fuse on the lynx shunt. It was showing orange not red but I finally pulled the cover and figured it out.

I've been slowly building this system out and thought I had put the fuse in a month back.

Anyway, I appreciate the help.

Sorry. Busy day yesterday, and today was Mother's Day... I dared not sneak onto the forum if she was lookin'...

Glad you got it sorted!

Back