diy solar

diy solar

Battery Replacement

Just a quick rough list of requirements...

-Turn off or disconnect all loads and chargers (via power switches, then breaker or fuse disconnects).

-Take a few pictures of the cabling layout, understand that layout (series/parallel combo).

-On series battery systems (or even series solar strings), I always prefer to break the pack or string down (remove serial bus connections), starting from the center/middle of the pack or string, moving out towards the pack absolute positive and negative, this removes any potential dangers of higher voltages by the time you get to the ends of the pack or string connections.

-Replace batteries.

-Assemble pack series bus connections starting from absolute ends of pack or string, eventually meeting back in the middle, noting that once you connect the last cable or bus bar in the middle, your ends of pack string are live with full voltage potential.

-Check voltage at ends, make sure it's at expected nominal voltage range.

-Decide if you need or want to fuss with precharge resistor when connecting end devices like inverters which can spark upon connection.

-Perform precharging and connection of those devices, closing the breakers, installing the fuses back, etc.

-Turn on chargers, and loads, test.

Someone can proofread my above steps and refine as necessary, I threw it together in about 5 minutes, but is a basic overview of what I think are the general steps that I do on something like this.

Back