diy solar

diy solar

Battery Spot Welder advice

12VoltInstalls

life passes by too quickly to not live in freedom
I have some 20V Porter Cable tool battery packs that were fine until they get dropped. I have taken a couple apart and I get voltage some places, not in others. Conclusion: likely broken welds (circuits seem ok)

I’ve never welded batteries but I am looking at this portable welder which is a tad above the cost of a clone replacement battery or way less than one PC battery.
I’m thinking it’s not much of a gamble to spend on a tool to reweld them. Plus I could potentially weld my own solar battery bank should I have the whim.

Is there a better recommendation than above? Or should that be fine for what I want?

I have that model and it is not that good at welding. It just surface welded the strips onto the batteries and even a slight movement makes the weld come apart. Also it has a weird issue in that it drains the battery pretty fast even when it is off.
I tried welding each point like 3-4 times and it made zero difference. I suggest you look for a better tack welder.

have that model and it is not that good at welding. It just surface welded the strips onto the batteries and even a slight movement makes the weld come apart.
Can you suggest an alternate that would be good? I appreciate your sharing of
your experience with it.

Back