diy solar

diy solar

Battery storage and set-up on a micro-inverter base feasability

Tostaki

Hello,

I am quite new on this forum and I am looking for information.
I have a working 12 panels array on my roof top. All's good.

In my set-up, all the power surplus is sent to the grid and paid. This seems ideal but from january 1st, the prices dropped by a 3 factor. This prevent me from acceptable ROI on the installation. This is where a battery storage idea came out.

To store energy, I just have to install a battery and this is done... But ... At what cost ?

My inverter is supporting a battery system but energy is sent back on a single phase. This is a bit weird on a 3 phases inverter. I made a mistake when choosing the model. I have 2 options : costly upgrading the whole system to support a real battery storage or DIY my own system to take care of the functionnality.

As part of my ideas, I wonder if using a micro-inverter is possible. The main idea is using hoymiles products. Plug a 48v battery on the PV sockets and driving the energy restitution using current limitation through OpenDTU. The battery is charged using a conventional spare LiFePo charger.

Do you know if such an usage has been ever made ?

Thank you

Last edited:

I would see if adding a battery to your current system would be enough. Put the battery on the phase with the biggest load. Can you move there load to that phase?

Thx @DIYrich Will crawl this part.
In the meantime, I did a bit of homework and this option seems feasable according to some Germans doing it using Hoymiles micros Inverters

About moving the energy hungry equipments to that phase would be challenging. I have to keep the whole system balanced (more or less). Moreover this depends on the season.

Back