diy solar

diy solar

Battle Born Battery (NEW) Terminal Tarnished? Need Advice

Santa

I received 2 BB's and one of the neg. posts looks partially tarnished. I called the company and he asked me to send him a pic. My video cam is broken. I still use a flip phone out of choice. I just realized I could take a pic with that phone. I don't know how good the quality is, but I just snapped a few photos. I would like expert opinions on this battery and I will send it to them too. Please let me know what you think. Thanks for your help! P.S. the lower left has a small black goop?

Attachments

• BB terminal 2.JPG
    BB terminal 2.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 35
  • BB terminal.JPG
    BB terminal.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 39
  • bb terminal3.JPG
    bb terminal3.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I turned the flash off the phone and used a flashlight to try to get better pics here:

Attachments

• bb 4.JPG
    bb 4.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 33
  • bb 6 this is prob best.JPG
    bb 6 this is prob best.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 34
  • bb 7.JPG
    bb 7.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 30
  • BB terminal 2.JPG
    BB terminal 2.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 30
  • BB terminal.JPG
    BB terminal.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 31
  • bb terminal3.JPG
    bb terminal3.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 35
  • bb5.JPG
    bb5.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 32
Hmmm the little bit of black goop isn't anything to be worried about, they were just a little sloppy in the factory when pouring the epoxy around the terminal (see attached photo from our display unit, with red epoxy on the POS terminal). As for the defect on the brass of the terminal itself, I'd say that it's nothing to be overly concerned about (there's a bit of similar defect in the attached photo) as it's most likely the result of heat when they were drilling out the hole in the terminal or other factors in handling before the terminal was actually installed into the battery... but, as a consumer it's entirely understandable to be concerned about such things and I fully support your decision to contact your distributor. If they tell you it's nothing to worry about, however, I'll go on record as saying that they're probably right.
20191126_094510_HDR.jpg

Contact patch it *Might* be an issue when dragging a heavy load.

Use an ink pin eraser (yes, there are erasers for ink pins) or scotch Brite and clean it up.
I buy the cheapo ink pins with erasers when I see them just for cleaning terminals.
The ink pins are so cheap they don't write well, so often times I just pull the ink guts out and throw them away.

There is something called a 'Rust Eraser' that works pretty well for large terminals,
Scotch Bright pads work well.

I avoid sand paper since it's mostly aluminum oxide grit and I'm not crazy about the grit getting imbedded in my copper/brass,
And since it's conductive, I don't want little pieces of conductive grit in my electronics since I have a tendency to blow off grit and it gets everywhere, including into air vents over circuit boards...
(Ask me how I learned that the expensive way...)

Contact patch it *Might* be an issue when dragging a heavy load.

Use an ink pin eraser (yes, there are erasers for ink pins) or scotch Brite and clean it up.
I buy the cheapo ink pins with erasers when I see them just for cleaning terminals.
The ink pins are so cheap they don't write well, so often times I just pull the ink guts out and throw them away.

There is something called a 'Rust Eraser' that works pretty well for large terminals,
Scotch Bright pads work well.
**"Contact patch it Might be an issue..."? What does that mean please?

(I used to have pens with erasers, but they get brittle...)
**Do you mean a COPPER scotch brite (I use them when making colloidal silver) https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scotch-Brite-3-Pack-Copper-Scouring-Pads/50277215
or a Scotch bright sponge with a rough side? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-...avy-Duty-Scrub-Sponge-3-Pack-MMMHD3/205609747
**What about using Magic Erasers like these? https://www.mrclean.com/en-us/shop-products/magic-erasers/magic-eraser-original

My main concern is whether or not it will function 100% as it should...they haven't responded via email, but I understand it's the holidays.

Epoxy sealer is non-conductive, limits the amperage that will transmit from battery terminals to cables.

Contact patch or surface area contact is required for amperage to conduct.
A small contact area won't conduct full amperage, big cables and small contact surface area is like using small cables.

Tarnish is corrosion and will get worse.

Clean it off.

us-220-heavy-duty-scour-pad-1-pk-ip1-jpg.jpg

Contact patch or area, look at the skinny material around the ring hole, and consider how thin that material is...
Then look at the material at the wire barrel and consider how thin that is.

IMG_1330.JPG

Then look how narrow & thin the material is between the ring & barrel,
That thin & narrow strip can't possibly conduct the amperage a battery can dump, so there is no way that amperage can get to the wire/cable.

That thin/skinny strip is an amperage limiter, and if you attempt to pull full amperage through it, it will overheat and burn like a fuse.

-------

Now, look at this lug, the MUCH thicker material conducts more amperage, the wider connection between ring & barrel conducts more amperage, the wider material around the ring contacts more of the battery terminal which transfers more amperage.

IMG_1331.JPG

There is a reason I recommend the big, heavy, SOLID lugs for batteries and high amperage inverters, they will conduct full amperage simply because of the VOLUME of material in the lugs,
Flattened tubings lugs are still thin wall, but at least they aren't cut away like the flat strip terminals on top are.

You have a big, high volume conductor wire in the cable, you NEED a big high volume conductor on the ends when transmitting 100 to 300 Amps from battery to inverter.

I can find the 'Weak Links' when I full on load test,
I throw full amp load at the cables/terminals and look for heat (resistance makes heat) and sometimes the terminal ends just melt off simply because they can't handle the amp load.

Epoxy sealer is non-conductive, limits the amperage that will transmit from battery terminals to cables.

Contact patch or surface area contact is required for amperage to conduct.
A small contact area won't conduct full amperage, big cables and small contact surface area is like using small cables.

Tarnish is corrosion and will get worse.

Clean it off.

us-220-heavy-duty-scour-pad-1-pk-ip1-jpg.jpg
Thank you.

I finally received a response from Battleborn Batteries. (12-1-19 at 9:00 pm - five days after sending them an email)

"It looks as though a bit of epoxy got on the negative terminal and this should in no way effect the battery. If you would like to take some steel wool to the brass terminal it should remove it but again this is purely cosmetic and will not cause any difference in battery performance what so ever." I said they didn't address the tarnishing,

"From the quality of the pictures I didn’t notice any tarnishing, please send us better quality photos and we will have our engineers and safety advisors look more thoroughly at the issue."
I sent the same pictures AGAIN and asked for a better response. I am waiting....the pictures I sent them are the same ones I sent here...

EDITED 12/2/19: I didn't know which set I sent them until AFTER I sent them because they all look alike. (You will see I took 2 different sets above.)

Last edited:
Can you all see the tarnish, because battleborn claims they don't see it.

Can you all see the tarnish, because battleborn claims they don't see it.
Santa, I can definitely see the dark marks but when I click on the images everything is a bit blurry. I suspect that's why BB asked for higher quality photos. I think they are assuming the dark area is epoxy and they don't consider it tarnished based on the photos submitted. Do you have access to a higher resolution camera via a friend or family member? That may be the way to go to submit more pictures to BB. Good luck!

Santa, I can definitely see the dark marks but when I click on the images everything is a bit blurry. I suspect that's why BB asked for higher quality photos. I think they are assuming the dark area is epoxy and they don't consider it tarnished based on the photos submitted. Do you have access to a higher resolution camera via a friend or family member? That may be the way to go to submit more pictures to BB. Good luck!
Or use the macro feature of your camera/camera app has one.

Sending the same photos again when asked for higher quality is just rude. The quality of the photos is poor enough that it's impossible to tell what is what.

Sending the same photos again when asked for higher quality is just rude. The quality of the photos is poor enough that it's impossible to tell what is what.
If you look above you will see I took 2 different sets of pictures. I didn't know if they received the 2nd set after sending them the first set in my initial email. I don't think anything I did was rude. I DO think your answer is rude and ignorant though. Do you work for them?

I don't understand why you all can see them, but they cannot. I will check the phones settings and see if I can make them better and try again. ty

If you look above you will see I took 2 different sets of pictures. I didn't know if they received the 2nd set after sending them the first set in my initial email.

You wrote:

I sent the same pictures AGAIN and asked for a better response.

Customer is wrong most of the time.

Do you work for them?

Nope. And I'm very glad I'm not in a customer facing role at all.

If you look above you will see I took 2 different sets of pictures. I didn't know if they received the 2nd set after sending them the first set in my initial email. I don't think anything I did was rude. I DO think your answer is rude and ignorant though. Do you work for them?
Santa.
The pictures you have posted here are quite out of focus. Both sets.
I am sure the resizing this forum does automatically has exacerbated it but plainly, the pictures are not clear.

The thumbnails look better than the zoomed in shots.

If you were asked to send pictures that were better in focus or detail... why did you resend the same ones?

please refrain from making snide remarks.
I don't understand why you all can see them, but they cannot. I will check the phones settings and see if I can make them better and try again. ty

We all see something, but it's just a blur. There's no way of telling what we're seeing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back