diy solar

diy solar

Best gas generator for a backup battery charging?

what about Avgas with a double-dosage (storage) of Marine Stabil? Would that store well? I’ve always meant to do that, never have gotten to it
avgas will last a very long time without Stabi. There was a military aircraft that landed on the Greenland ice cap in the 1940's. It was rediscovered and removed for restoration about 1990. The avgas in the tanks was still good, albeit in cold storage.

we run avgas in our generator, shredder, chain saws, weed eater. Never have a problem that's fuel related. Unleaded avgas availability in increasing... spect lead phaseout in a couple years. But stability won't be affected.

A note on storing gas. I worked in a power sports shop for many years, so cleaning and rebuilding fuel systems was something I did daily.

Modern gas is not like gas of 20 years ago. A generator/motorcycle/jet ski sitting since the 1990s, would have a little buildup of deposits in the carb, but it was an easy clean and get it back up and running.

The same engine sitting for 3 years, would have a complete mess in the carb due to the newer fuels. Just complete green tar like mess. It was a real pain to clean.

On modern fuels, how long you could let the fuel sit in engine, with gas in the carburetor depends on the type of fuel used, and the size of the carburetor. Smaller carburetors like on small generators, weed whackers, small dirt bikes, would plug up in about 3 months to the point they would run poorly, or not at all. Fuel stabilizers added to the tank would tend to extend that out to maybe 6 months.

Bigger carburetors would hold out until the 6 month mark or so, before the varnish would build up too much and the fuel would adsorb too much moisture. Basic older engine designs with low compression might do OK with this. Adding a bunch of SeaForm to several tanks of gas could help remove the deposits, assuming one of the passage ways of the carb is not fully plugged up. High compression engines like 250/450cc dirt bikes did not like this old fuel at all and a full rebuild was needed.

None ethanol fules like TrueFuel/Avgas/racing fules, did much better. The gas did not start to go bad in the tank until about the 2 year mark. But once it did go bad, it went really bad. Thick tar like goop in everything. It was an extra $100 charge to clean anything that had been sitting with racing fuel in it past the 2 year mark.

Now out of that profession, and not ever wanting to clean a carburetor again, I now take the following actions.

What I do for my gas generators to "summerize" is empty all fuel out of it, including draining and removing the float bowl. I let it air out for several hours. I then fill the float bowl up with ATF and reinstall, along with adding some ATF to the tank and swishing it around. The ATF keeps the seals in the carb and other rubber parts lubricated along with absorbing fuel and displacing dust and insects. When I need to use it, I remove the float bowl drain screw, train out the ATF, fill the tank with fuel, and it starts right up.

For weed whackers and small engines, when I am done for the week, I drain the normal fuel out of them, and fill with TrueFuel, then let idle for a few minutes to flush out any normal fuel. I then drain the TrueFuel back into the can, and let it run until it's out of fuel. Then leave the gas cap loose while it's in storage.

Since doing this, I have had zero fuel related issues. No carb cleaning, nothing. Stuff just works now.

Last edited:
I wouldn't run avgas in anything that's exhausting where I'm breathing. 100LL is only low lead when compared to high lead avgas. Even the low lead avgas is still much more lead than previous leaded car fuels were. Generator, maybe. Chainsaw, weed wacker, any handheld device, no way.

Right now the (2) gasoline gensets that we are allowed to use (once a year us folks in the field all vote nationwide and choose 2 of them so we don't have 100 different gensets we have to learn to maintenance) is the CHAMPION and the WESTINGHOUSE brands ... Champion is really like Honda's ugly sister but still gets the job done pretty well. It is my go-to genset to through in a back of the truck to go and do a site visit ... WESTINGHOUSE is what we use for the bigger "we need to run a small building" type generator. Kinda noisy - but really strong - cranks every time - and you can run gas and propane in them ...

of course out here we use pure 94 octane non-ethanol fuel which does make everything run pretty much better - we just can't afford to have fuel sitting around that's going to get gummed up during an emergency ...

Champion has EXCELLENT service support as does WESTINGHOUSE ... and I mean like if they can't send you a part to fix it - they just send you a new generator ...

Al
I wouldn't run avgas in anything that's exhausting where I'm breathing. 100LL is only low lead when compared to high lead avgas. Even the low lead avgas is still much more lead than previous leaded car fuels were. Generator, maybe. Chainsaw, weed wacker, any handheld device, no way.
Also people don’t realize that aviation fuel has no cooling agents Since it’s meant for air planes At altitude. If you run it in terrestrial based engine‘s they will fail prematurely unless jetted correctly. I use to run 100LL in motorcycle and ATV drag racing applications. Works great if jetted super fat. Worked for a guy that owned an airport. He burned though more lawn mowers using up his outdated AV fuel. I tried explaining it to him. But what do I know I’m not a rich airport owner.

I use this Generator with a Victron ip22 30 amp blue charger. at 15amps it runs at a quarter load and at 30 amps a little over half load. I can get around 40 hours on a 20lb BBQ tank. ALP generators are coming out with an electric start stop 1k generator also. Propane is the only way to go.

people don’t realize that aviation fuel has no cooling agents Since it’s meant for air planes At altitude. If you run it in terrestrial based engine‘s they will fail prematurely unless jetted correctly
Avgas’ “cooling agent” is octane. Octane increases provides resistance to igniting. So in operation avgas may actually be harder to start when cold, and the octane side benefit of higher performance will never be realized in lower compression engines.

While “the blend” of chemicals used to formulate various iterations of gasoline jetting may be required for high-performance and perhaps other applications for optimal performance, I have never seen anything scientific that suggests any remarkable difference between various ‘gasoline’ varieties base formula.

Your post made me do some reading. I’m confident that avgas is a good storage fuel in full containers with moderately stable storage environment temperatures, and adding stabil will not harm the fuel.

I’ve often wondered about the ‘true fuel’ and other brands: why does it smell differently than 91 or 93 no ethanol pump gas? Why does expensive retail-canned fuels store long term (like avgas!) while no lead 91 E-free gets colored and gummy in carbs after 6 months to a year?

I’m ok with avgas and additive for emergency moderate-term fuel storage.

Really I’m not seeing a problem with old fuel .
I use stable sill in the gas
I do have a plow truck that just sits in the garage all year and comes out to push snow .
I use 1/2 a tank of fuel a year .
Ive been trying to come up with a better plan for storage .
I don’t like to leave the tank empty but I ive been letting it sit on half tank till fall then fill it for winter .
If I could drain the tank I would suck the fuel out and refill every year .
I rotate 50 gallons of fuel every fall for the generator .
I leave all my saws and other stuff filled but they don’t sit for mor then a few months
Any thoughts on the plow truck?

I’ve often wondered about the ‘true fuel’ and other brands: why does it smell differently than 91 or 93 no ethanol pump gas? Why does expensive retail-canned fuels store long term (like avgas!) while no lead 91 E-free gets colored and gummy in carbs after 6 months to a year?

I’m ok with avgas and additive for emergency moderate-term fuel storage.
"modern" gasoline is a mix of all kind crap, notably olefins from thermal or catalytic cracking
"Trufuel" base component is alkylate but on MSDS it has also some added crap, most notably aromatic hydrocarbons xylene and toluene :
Aromatic hydrocarbons have "aroma" like name suggests and they are exellent octane boosters but they are also some sort of health risk.

What they sell here as alkylate gas is low aromatic, low-olefin alkylate:
https://www.neste.be/sites/neste.com/files/attachments/brochure_alkylate_gasoline_final.pdf (page 5)
(doesn't smell like gas of any sort)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkylation_unit

Funny thing is that they had "fuel crisis" already 100 years ago when fuel contained too much olefins (the same crap we are battling now)

I’m going to try to drain it this weekend I’m not sure if I can get a hose down the fill hole to siphoning.
I was hopping I would use more fuel over winter i plow twice a week all winter but most of the time it a few passes down the road and I’m done.

I’m going to try to drain it this weekend I’m not sure if I can get a hose down the fill hole to siphoning.
I was hopping I would use more fuel over winter i plow twice a week all winter but most of the time it a few passes down the road and I’m done.
If new enough (fool injected not carborundumindated) you
can disconnect a fitting under the hood and pump it out with the fuel pump…

Champion makes a nice affordable propane/gasoline inverter generator.

I'd second this as an economical choice. use the factory oil for the first thirty minutes, and then switch to a high-quality synthetic -- it's worth the $8. I've run mine daily for ~2h (to charge the batteries in my worksite tent, using a 24v multiplus) for the last 8 months and it's super rare that it doesn't start on the first pull.

If it’s been working this long, just stabilize it and save the back ache of draining the tank.

I’ve never done anything more then 87 pump gas and stabilize, haven’t had an issue. Oldest engine is the lawn mower at a 2007. I do try and run the carbs dry with fuel shut offs.

Back