diy solar

diy solar

Best wiring solution for 10 230w solar panels

Wiring configuration

• Total voters

Jcain

If you had (10) 230w solar panels (48.7 voc / 5.99 isc) how would you configure them in regards to victron smart charge controllers feeding a 12v battery bank.

A: 5 groups of 2 series, and (5) 100/50 victrons

$1619 total. Most hurt by shading losses, a lot of wiring

B: 2 groups of 5 series, and (2) 250/100 victrons

$1864 total. Easiest/least wiring, lots of shading losses, possibly.

C: 3 groups of 3 series, 1 solo, (3) 150/70 (1) 150/20

$1776 total, middle grounds to both issues

D: 2 groups of 5 parallel. (2) 150/100 victrons

$1570. Resilient to shading losses or a hurt panel, heavy gauage wiring to controllers

E: 5 groups of 2 parallel (5) 100/50 victrons

$1619 total. Most resilient to shading in clusters. still smaller wire gauge

I'm sure I'm missing some different cluster sizings. Let me know.

Attachments

• solar panel.jpg
    solar panel.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 10
I'm voting D for the highest resilience to faulty panel / shading / etc. It's also the most cost-effective solution that I see but that's a bit of an afterthought, I mostly just think that this configuration will yield the most dependable results across a wide variety of possible conditions.
I don't like option A because with two of these panels in series on a 100/50, you're running dangerously close to the 100v input limit and it could cause a problem on a cold morning. Option B is too dependent on the series connection (ie, shading or a defective panel is gonna be a FUBAR) and ditto with running too close to the voltage input limit. Remember that on a cold morning you could potentially see higher than the VOC rating of the panel... briefly, but it doesn't take much for the controller to be super unhappy. C is a similar problem: overly sensitive to shading issues, uncomfortably close to the input limit; D is good; E would also be fine in my book.

I picked C because it is statistically the most correct answer in a multiple choice question. Then I saw you had text descriptions for the options in a post.

Looking back, I don't know the requirements of the Victrons, such as max Voc and Vmp. Assuming all are valid configurations, including temp, B is the clear winner if you can remove your neighbors trees without them noticing.

Last edited:
odd, I can only see the ABCDE choice without description.

There are many ways to configure solar arrays for optimal use to maximize the power generated. Your Solar Controller is the CONTROL - The Arbitrator if you will. The Solar Controller choice will decide what you can do by how many Volts & Amps it can accept. If it cannot accept more that 150VDC then that is the limit of "that" controller. If you can "stack" controllers you can increase that capacity in increments with future growth potential. If you over-panel because you have a fixed mount and want to max potential generation, it must fall within the acceptable limits of max input. Some controllers can handle a percentage of excess (but that is quite limited) See Midnite Solar controllers, Victron, Outback (1st Tier Products)

Things are different if your using Grid Tie inverters of course and also if you are using micro-inverters, as their operations and how they handle voltage & amperage is different from a central solar controller.

Back