diy solar

diy solar

BLUEPOWER IP6048 - The New SunGoldPower 48V Hybrid Competitor to the MPPSolar LVX6048WP

Right now my inverter says solar production is 39 W. It was running full speed withoutout grid. It seems as though the inverter numbers are way off

Right now my inverter says solar production is 39 W. It was running full speed withoutout grid. It seems as though the inverter numbers are way off
Correct. All inverters on the market have a hard time displaying accurate values, especially when at or near 0 load.

Crap …. I was looking at sgp 6048 sure glad didn’t buy it. They have been out of stock but was going for it when new stock came in. I liked the specs on it.
Thanks for the post.

Back to looking

I measured the solar production with a clamp meter and the solar production displayed on the inverter seems accurate. According to the inverter, solar production exceeds the inverter usage at around 140W. But the unit is fully functional when solar production is even under 100W when grid is disconnected. So I'm thinking that either something is increasing the inverter usage when back feeding to grid, or maybe the display is already taking into account the inverter efficiency losses. If this is the case, then the fans are using somewhere between 35w to 75w, which comes out to around 1-2 kwhr wasted by the inverter per day. This would make sense considering what you would expect an inverter to use.

(no battery connected)

Last edited:
I purchased an Ip6048 in Dec of 22, to run my well
Due to some issues I didn't get it installed until Dec of this year. It ran for 2 weeks and failed no voltage out error code f32, shop solar, that's who I bought it from sent the main board for me.to replace it. Replaced the board and it right up and ran for 2 weeks and failed again. After working with them via email since March, I am sending it back to them to repair. Confidence that they will be able to resolve this is very low. Any recommendations for a quality inverter? Only loads are a 220v well pump and a 110v pump to pump to the house from the storage tank.

I purchased an Ip6048 in Dec of 22, to run my well
Due to some issues I didn't get it installed until Dec of this year. It ran for 2 weeks and failed no voltage out error code f32, shop solar, that's who I bought it from sent the main board for me.to replace it. Replaced the board and it right up and ran for 2 weeks and failed again. After working with them via email since March, I am sending it back to them to repair. Confidence that they will be able to resolve this is very low. Any recommendations for a quality inverter? Only loads are a 220v well pump and a 110v pump to pump to the house from the storage tank.
That's awful. Thank you for update. Will remember this

My sgp ip6048 just died.
Purchased in Dec 2022 finally deployed Dec 2023.
Ran most of the house from batteries and solar.
About a month ago screen went dark, but inverter was working, charging batteries and running loads. All from just solar with grid breaker off.

Then something happened (maybe overload) amd it turned off. Was able to restart.
Yesterday similar thing happened:
car was charging about 1.25kw (5a)
+
Microwave about 1.5kw
+
Cooktop - god knows.
+
Lights and computers about 750w

So likely an overload.

But doesn't start anymore.
I can restart, enable AC out, can measure 240v.
But as soon as there is load it clicks off.

I have a second unit, bought 2 for redundancy.
Probably should have enabled parallel, was going to, but just didn't get around to it.
Now the second unit is running ok, with full fans for no reason.

But I'm kind of stuck, other models will not parallel with this. And PV is built with 600Voc.
Most inverters have 500Voc limit.

EG4 18kw hybrid looks good, but close to $5k

My sgp ip6048 just died.
Purchased in Dec 2022 finally deployed Dec 2023.
Ran most of the house from batteries and solar.
About a month ago screen went dark, but inverter was working, charging batteries and running loads. All from just solar with grid breaker off.

Then something happened (maybe overload) amd it turned off. Was able to restart.
Yesterday similar thing happened:
car was charging about 1.25kw (5a)
+
Microwave about 1.5kw
+
Cooktop - god knows.
+
Lights and computers about 750w

So likely an overload.

But doesn't start anymore.
I can restart, enable AC out, can measure 240v.
But as soon as there is load it clicks off.

I have a second unit, bought 2 for redundancy.
Probably should have enabled parallel, was going to, but just didn't get around to it.
Now the second unit is running ok, with full fans for no reason.

But I'm kind of stuck, other models will not parallel with this. And PV is built with 600Voc.
Most inverters have 500Voc limit.

EG4 18kw hybrid looks good, but close to $5k
How long is the warranty? Several SGP advertise 3 year warranty. Think you have some left if 3 year?

I think ppl are over loading inverters and killing them. Manufacturers should probably reduce the advertised loads but think it is a marketing thing so not going to happen. Electric air compressors use to claim 5hp 120volt 20 amp breaker. The only way they were broke from false advertising was a law suit. 😁👀

Most gas generators are really only rated at 1/2 output. The instructions often tell ppl that. Most get raggy on upper end - dirty power and dependability drops if run at higher rating plus they get hotter and fuel consumption goes way up. Ppl buy undersize generators and have same problems. Then they cuss the generator when it is the advertising marketing ppl at fault.

I think we are maybe seeing some of that with these inverters and maybe for longevity the loads should be significantly reduced. Despite the advertising. I would have had them in parallel if it were me if you wanted more. We all want more. The problem then becomes we will add more load.

I would contact SGP and inquire about warranty - look at your paper work.

I have found an odd quirk with this particular unit.

There seems to be a limit to how much solar power it can send to the load. If the load goes about something like 4800 watts then it'll limit whatever amount of solar power is coming in to about 1600 watts and draw the rest from the battery.

Not sure if this is a bug with the firmware or some kind of hardware limitation.

I have found an odd quirk with this particular unit.

There seems to be a limit to how much solar power it can send to the load. If the load goes about something like 4800 watts then it'll limit whatever amount of solar power is coming in to about 1600 watts and draw the rest from the battery.

Not sure if this is a bug with the firmware or some kind of hardware limitation.
Sounds to me like a setting for max charging current could need adjusted.

How long is the warranty? Several SGP advertise 3 year warranty. Think you have some left if 3 year?

I think ppl are over loading inverters and killing them. Manufacturers should probably reduce the advertised loads but think it is a marketing thing so not going to happen. Electric air compressors use to claim 5hp 120volt 20 amp breaker. The only way they were broke from false advertising was a law suit. 😁👀

Most gas generators are really only rated at 1/2 output. The instructions often tell ppl that. Most get raggy on upper end - dirty power and dependability drops if run at higher rating plus they get hotter and fuel consumption goes way up. Ppl buy undersize generators and have same problems. Then they cuss the generator when it is the advertising marketing ppl at fault.

I think we are maybe seeing some of that with these inverters and maybe for longevity the loads should be significantly reduced. Despite the advertising. I would have had them in parallel if it were me if you wanted more. We all want more. The problem then becomes we will add more load.

I would contact SGP and inquire about warranty - look at your paper work.
It well maybe under warranty, but how would you know? (they are not to be found on the site anymore, and the manual doesn't say)
I am corresponding with SGP, taking videos of the inverters not working etc.
Was able to connect a PC and get fault codes, the culprit seems to be "DC-DC over current".
also something about "Slow start" or was it "Soft" start.

And BTW, turns out both still can do PV and feed the grid or load. But once the batter is connected - they shut down.

Back