diy solar

diy solar

BMS for DIY Powebamk Using Drone Batteries?

Nanook

I have about fifteen new 7.4v 1000ma lithium drone batteries that I would like to repurpose into a power bank.

I am looking to go 3s5p and am looking for a BMS. My intended use is to power a 12v source that prefers to be fed above at a “constant” 12v
3s gives me a little more operating time at needed voltage output.

So that configuration will need some kind of regulated 12v output on the BMS.

Can anyone share a suitable BMS for my diy built?

Thanks!

7.4v 1000ma lithium
I am looking to go 3s5p and am looking for a BMS.
Probably mean 5P and these 3 in series, 5P3S. This would also only need 1 BMS.

My intended use is to power a 12v source
3S 7.4V is 22.2V, methinks a tad high for "12V" which normally has 15V as the upper limit.
Depending on your battery voltage ranges, 2S might be too high.

What flavor lithium? The BMSs are usually designed for a specific lithium and its nominal voltage (LFP vs Li ion for example).
So that configuration will need some kind of regulated 12v output on the BMS.
BMSs don't do that.

Oops!!! Brain cramp - my apologies.

Yes 2s and run as many cells as I have in p.

I am also repurposing some 18650’s in a similar project and had 3.7v in my head.

I thought there may have been an all-in-one BMS with an onboard regulated power supply output.

Given I will have a separate part handle the voltage regulation - is there a “favoured” BMS for these types of diy’s? Amazon? Aliexpress? EBay?

Thanks

I thought there may have been an all-in-one BMS with an onboard regulated power supply output.
Those are 2 very different functions that i have not seen combined in a single product.

Given I will have a separate part handle the voltage regulation - is there a “favoured” BMS for these types of diy’s? Amazon? Aliexpress? EBay?
Those cells and battery types are outside my realm of experience in building (we have a bunch of 36V packs for our olive harvesting rakes). I suspect they have cheap BMSs but they are in shrink-wrapped blue packs that we've not had to mess with.

Search is your friend (quite a few hits on 18650store):

For regulating power, i'd look at some of the buck converters that accept a wide range and output a specific voltage.

Like these (have used these for telescopes with great success):

There are quite a few voltage range and wattage combinations. You may be more limited on the BMSs that you like and build a battery with that voltage and simply pick the converter to get to your desired 12V.

Back