diy solar

diy solar

Budget racking option: metal fence

Will Prowse

Forum Owner
Staff member
Just saw this article posted:

Would be fun to see how many sun hours I could collect in a day during summer versus winter.

I suppose it's good if you have piles of used panels and lots of fences. But I would still prefer laying them flat on the ground with a steel tether.

I see this being great until the wind starts blowing...the article pretty much suggests having a system like this engineered. I imagine the first engineer to get a request for this would literally laugh out loud.

Hanging the panels vertically in a snowy area may not be all that bad of an Idea, especially when one can not be there to physically wipe away the snow. I have considered mounting a panel or to to to a south/ facing wall to help keep thongs charged when I am not around. I can be autonomous for a good 60 days in the winter without any charge if I am not there however the small usage from the SCC's and a few essential loads do wear down my batteries slowly. So having a few watts a day could be enough to get me through December and January.

If one were to use a fence as a rack it could possibly be a good idea to back the panel with plywood or something in case of high winds. I'm thinking to sandwich the fence between the panel and plywood or some other wind blocker. IDK

Just saw this article posted:

Would be fun to see how many sun hours I could collect in a day during summer versus winter.

I suppose it's good if you have piles of used panels and lots of fences. But I would still prefer laying them flat on the ground with a steel tether.
Reminds me of Andys' "solar pool fence' on offgridgarage.
Not going to be a good option in open Prairie and page wire fencing...but could work with residential wood fencing, chainlink fencing that is taller, and stiffer.
I have several dairy farmer neighbours with 20kW ground mount racks - set up high enough for the cows to shade under, they seem to love the cooler spot to lay down in the sunny afternoons. Where is that @EastTexCowboy - what do you think of solar panel cow shade structures/ground mount solar combinations?

Yep nothing but weeds under them there panels. They are quick pack flat (tm) for if I need to lay them flat for a hurricane
It's a temporary lash-up until we move later this year.
I did the same thing when I first got my panels.
Grass still hasn’t recovered.

Hanging the panels vertically in a snowy area may not be all that bad of an Idea, especially when one can not be there to physically wipe away the snow.
I have had one 440W panel attached to a vertical wall facing due West for about a year, it never has any snow on it, and it catches late day solar for my small 12v system. No where near the production level of the regular panels facing South and tilted (30-degrees summer, 60+ degrees winter), but it works and uses up some otherwise un-used wall space. I am pretty sure Ian (from Watts 24-7) has a bunch of panels mounted flat on a shop wall IIRC).

Reminds me of Andys' "solar pool fence' on offgridgarage.
Not going to be a good option in open Prairie and page wire fencing...but could work with residential wood fencing, chainlink fencing that is taller, and stiffer.
I have several dairy farmer neighbours with 20kW ground mount racks - set up high enough for the cows to shade under, they seem to love the cooler spot to lay down in the sunny afternoons. Where is that @EastTexCowboy - what do you think of solar panel cow shade structures/ground mount solar combinations?
Cows will get under any shade, especially when it's hot like this. It would certainly work. The ground mount needs to be sturdy cuz they're gonna rub on it. And don't leave any wires where they can get to them. Cows will find a way to get in trouble every time.

Build them higher and make a covered hay feeder solar array. Now you're talking. Lol

Of course it still needs to be close enough to reach your SCC or inverter. Chances are if you have have cows you have a barn. Put them on the barn.

Chances are if you have have cows you have a barn. Put them on the barn.
You know this sounds super funny - !.. :ROFLMAO:
(but my cows are scared of heights!)

I don't have cows, but I do have a couple hogs, and I wouldn't put them near any wires, even inside EMT those suckers will find a way !

I think it is great that people are trying new solar applications, like re-using existing fence lines, even if some of these applications are not going to work, at least they are trying to think up new ways to make double use of existing infrastructure. This seems so much better than taking a 100 Acres of farm pasture and covering it all in solar panels, then spraying it with herbicide to keep the weeds down.

I have read some interesting reports on Agrivoltaics crops like lettuce benefit from partial shade.
Some of these test sites indicate a three fold "win win win" better crop yield, better water use, plus solar energy collection.
And a forth "win" a less obvious benefit: it is more comfortable to work under the PV than in the direct sun.

I think it is great that people are trying new solar applications, like re-using existing fence lines, even if some of these applications are not going to work, at least they are trying to think up new ways to make double use of existing infrastructure. This seems so much better than taking a 100 Acres of farm pasture and covering it all in solar panels, then spraying it with herbicide to keep the weeds down.

I have read some interesting reports on Agrivoltaics crops like lettuce benefit from partial shade.
Some of these test sites indicate a three fold "win win win" better crop yield, better water use, plus solar energy collection.
And a forth "win" a less obvious benefit: it is more comfortable to work under the PV than in the direct sun.
I"ve seen some stuff on creative ways farmers and ranchers are deploying solar and getting side benefits. Definitely a win win. Another option would be enclosed climate controlled spaces powered by solar for raising food crops, especially if you go vertical with the crops. I was just talking with the boss lady yesterday about putting some peppers in the garage with grow lights now that it's climate controlled. I might have to raise the temp in the garage but peppers don't like this Texas heat so we get great peppers early then these little runt peppers when it gets hot then I usually try to get some started for a fall crop, but they take a long time to produce so that's iffy depending on first frost. I'd probably have to raise the temp in the garage from 77F to maybe something like 82F but I think the inverters would be okay with it.

On the flip side, we have tomatoes running out our ears. Preserved enough for a year and still have tomatoes piled everywhere. I've been giving them away but I can't keep up. Tomorrow I'm going to drop by the vet's office unannounced and leave them 10 or 15 lbs. Not that I'm really whining. It's one of those good problems to have. Way better than not enough food.

1689039810748.jpeg

Back