diy solar

diy solar

Building 3-4kWh battery bank, is this reasonable?

krby

Solar Enthusiast
I'm would like to build a sort-of portable power bank. This idea started out as way to power the fridge for a few days during PG&E's scheduled blackouts. But now that I've decided to build one, I'm finding more and more things I would use it for both in and out of the house!

From my research, I think the components are basically an battery bank, an inverter, an AC charger, and some supporting electronics. No solar charging. Given what I'll be powering, I'd like to be able to deliver ~1600W for about 20-30min. I'm sizing for 2000W to give some headroom. I'd like at least 3-4kWh of usable capacity. This won't see every day use. Maybe a hundred cycles over a few years. I'm familiar with the tradeoffs between AGM vs LFE and I've decided to go with LFE because of the size, weight, and discharge rate. Because I'm not expecting a lot of cycles, I've been assuming a 90% DoD when sizing. I do want it portable, even if that means it's the size of luggage with wheels.

Reading the mobile-solarpower.com website's guides on building a LFE pack I recognized the concepts and gear from things I've been doing in the R/C flying hobby for years. About 15 years ago, I put together a 100W solar powered wifi access point with a AGM battery backup. Hopefully, my confidence isn't misplaced, but I think I can do this with help from you all.

Finally, the questions!

* Is this whole ideal reasonable? Is 2kW and 3-4kWh of capacity a reasonable goal? A 24V system 200Ah pack would do it (assuming 90% DOD).

* 12V vs 24V?
I understand the voltage drop and wire gauge vs current issues. Given this is all going to be in one box, how much does this matter? I'll have bars across cells to make series connections, and lets say no more than 2-4 feet of wire to the inverter, I'll use 2ga wire in either case. To me, the only reason not to build a 24V system is that I feel like there are more components choices in 12V. In general it feels more flexible but I can't put my finger on anything specific. Does this really matter?

* Inverter/Charger or separate items?
All the inverter/chargers I have seen seem built for a whole-home backup, with an automatic tranfer when the AC input goes down. I don't really need that feature, but I do like the idea of one less thing to wire up in my box. Is there a reason to get split these out?

* Dedicated LFE charger?
All the inverter/chargers I have seen seem to have their charging side built for lead acid batteries but many can be configured to work with LFE voltages. Is it better to get a charger that is dedicated to LFE? I'm used to the computerized mulit-chemistry chargers from the R/C hobby, where the LFE profile is a CC phase followed by a CV phase, no absorb or float.

One I get some feedback on the big questions above, I'll dig into specific questions about components for the battery pack, bms, balancing, etc (I'm thinking about two Sinopoly 12V 200Ah packs) Thanks!

Yes your plan sounds reasonable. I like 24 volt systems it makes chsrging easier and inverters are a bit more efficient as well. You can get cheap buck converters for the 12v loads. Most good inverter chargers can be programmed to your needs. Look at victron,samlex, or magnasine if your budget allows

Thanks for the reply @Craig. As I have more questions about this project, which sub-forum is the right one to use? It's sorta like a DIY Powerwall, but without the need to tying into the house panel or anything but the occasionally AC socket to charge.

Yes your plan sounds reasonable. I like 24 volt systems it makes chsrging easier and inverters are a bit more efficient as well. You can get cheap buck converters for the 12v loads. Most good inverter chargers can be programmed to your needs. Look at victron,samlex, or magnasine if your budget allows

I agree that the plan is reasonable and I also agree with 24V. I did almost exactly what you're describing over 7 years ago with something I affectionately refer to as the "crash cart". It's a 12V system (4 parallel Trojan AGM 100Ah), but was built for precisely the type of situation you are describing. I recommend you look at the blueprints @Will Prowse provides so you have all of the appropriate components, wire sizing, safety protections (fuses etc.). I've attached a picture of the cart in action on October 29, 2012 (Hurricane Sandy). It ran my fridge, heat/hot water (natural gas boiler, forced hot water), coffee pot (probably most important), some lights, kept phones charged etc. for about two days.

I look forward to you sharing your progress and the result of your build.

IMG_0256.JPG

I used this fuse holder connected directly to the battery terminal out of convenience and space savings. (Thanks @Rider for the Amazon link).

I also used this cable with Anderson SB50 connector as the input for the wall charger (Samlex 30A with the same SB50 connector on output) so I could do a quick connect/disconnect and store the charger separately from the cart.

And I put a knife switch on the battery to negative inverter cable to disconnect the inverter when not in use.

I live off grds, 2kw solar, midnite classic 200 controller, Samlex EVO-4024 Inverter/Charger (dual AC input grid/genny) and 8 Rolls S-550's being replaced by 24V/400AH LifPO4 pack. I have a thread going on the battery pack if your interested. Both the Solar Controller & Inverter can be programmed to charge the LifePo pack without issue, although a BMS which has signalling would be better. The Pack I ordered comes with external chargers which can be used to charge the pack but I will use them as a backup, just in case.

BTW: Various options for disconnecting batteries and being safe, I am a fan of the heavy duty Blue Switches such as shown below, they are a smart way to disconnect safely.

PS: A Lessons Learned exp to share. If you estimate that a 3KW Inverter will do what you need, very seriously consider the next step up. Not only because it is better to have the extra capacity when running things, the unexpected "always happens" and you'll need & want more. buying new wires and gear when under planned is unpleasant and costly. Cheaper to buy "one step up" when starting than to have to upgrade. IE My Samlex & New LifePO Batt's represent such an upgrade, in excess $5,000 ! I started with a 3kw inverter/charger as it "was enough" & FLA's.

REFS:
Classic 200: http://www.midnitesolar.com/product...ctCatName=&productCat_ID=21&sortOrder=2&act=p
Samlex EVO 4024: https://www.samlexamerica.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=575
Thread on new Pack: https://diysolarforum.com/index.php?threads/shunbin-battery-packs-12v-24v-100ah-and-up.1304/

That kart setup is genius Bob!! Very nice. Dead simple and you can load it up with batteries. Very cool!
Thanks Will. The actual cart itself wasn't cheap, I think about $160 back then. But I needed something heavy duty given all that lead made it about 260lbs! Ugh.

I'm in the pondering stage for a cart redo using Battle Borns and other upgrades using info from everyone on here. We'll see where it takes me and I'll share when I'm done.

That's a great cart! That might be my version 1 "enclosure" if I can scrounge one up from work. I'm hoping for something a bit more contained in the end with a few AC ports, but also Anderson Power Pole or banana posts to just DC for R/C charging or radio gear.

> ...If you estimate that a 3KW Inverter...
My max draw right now is measured 1300W AC , MAYBE 1400W (wife's hair dryer), so I figured the 2000W inverter should cover it.

As I have questions, what sub-forum is the right place for this?

Back