diy solar

diy solar

Can anyone recommend a good guide for a DIY whole house, auto switching UPS system that is grid tied; no solar? Thanks!

dhotz

Can anyone recommend a good how-to guide for a DIY whole house, auto switching UPS system that is grid tied; no solar? Thanks!

Have you looked at the Sunsynk inverters? lots of you tube videos available and then add your own batteries?

the Sunsynk are also available as DEYE inverters. i dont know if Sunsynk have additional features but they seem very keen on development

Last edited:
I am interested in this topic as well, but with one variation. Does anyone have details and information that would help in deciding if buying a Tesla Power Wall is worth it? I would like to compare a power wall to many of the other designs suggested here, and also to understand the insurability and viability for code with any of these kinds of project.

Unless they changed it, the powerwall is li-ion, not LiFePO4. I have a sol-ark 15k with batteries, but no solar. It is basically a whole house ups. Will add solar next year after remodeling is done.

Eg4 18kpv will also work.

You can diy a sol-ark 15k and 15kWh of batteries for under $10k, about the cost of a powerwall. Eg4 even cheaper. It will outperform the powerwall, and cheap to add batteries.

Can anyone recommend a good how-to guide for a DIY whole house, auto switching UPS system that is grid tied; no solar? Thanks!

Hi,
First thing you should do...its to calculate your loads... see how much energy your consuming monthly...
And then...with those numbers...start sizing your system... when I started I runned up a webpage that got me started with everything( curiosity about solar, ups etc) ...has its calculator for loads...to size your system...its a bit old..but good basic info( freesunpower.com) then you look to the victron page for diagrams for wiring etc...

But first step...its to know...your loads and monthly average of energy consumed in your household....from there...starts the calculations....
(y)

Last edited:
viability for code with any of these kinds of project.
Anything in the same or adjacent class as PowerWall is going to be code compliant, otherwise it doesn't make sense for the manufacturers to charge such a premium for them. I would classify the PowerWall as a very simple turnkey friendly install, of a UL9540 ESS.

Then starting from there from most broadly code compliant to less broad are:

De jure better due to direct alignment with code
- UL9540 paired listing inverter and battery
- UL9540 separate listing for inverter and separate listing for battery

The PowerWall is obviously (if you are familiar with its internal architecture) a paired listing because it comprises a battery inverter in the same package as a battery

Perhaps de facto better than lower options, but who knows. None of the ones below are not a high enough certification level to be code relevant.
- Factory assembled battery, non UL version of a UL listed product. EG4 has pre UL version of their batteries
- Maybe UL9540A or 1973 batteries

The main advantages are easy insurance (because you have permits) and permission to grid tie in all jurisdictions.

Back