diy solar

diy solar

Can it be done? Bluetti + Redodo + BougeRV + Bus

RedbirdRidge

What have I done?!
Two years ago, I bought a 38 ft. "skoolie" with most of the seats out of it. Considerably cheaper than a Class A motorhome. I watched a plethora of videos, realizing that to cool the big steel can, I needed some serious energy. I decided that the KISS method was my best option (I can change a light bulb and an outlet), so I bought the following:
Bluetti AC500; (2) Bluetti B300s batteries;
(4) Redodo 12V 200ah Plus batteries;
(8) BougeRV 200 W CIGS solar panels.

I have the Pioneer Diamante Ultra 12,000 BTU H 22 SEER2 / 12.5 EER2 Efficiency Ductless Mini Split Cooling (90 W soft start)
Heating capacity: 12,000 BTU/H with 9.0 HSPF2 / 3.5 COP efficiency.

I will need DC for the water pump.
I will need AC for an Avanti 4.4 cuft. refrigerator that uses 31 wh/day;
Danby 3.5 cuft. freezer that uses 23 wh/day;
Rechargeable LED items i.e. lights, phones, and occasionally a gaming headset, and a 1450 W Fast coffee maker (1 cup in 50 seconds).
My aim was to reduce the constant AC needs.
I have a propane instant hot water heater, and a portable propane two-burner cooktop.

If anybody can tell me IF and the HOW to put these components together, it is you all on this forum! I have not seen anybody do this jigsaw puzzle before. My idea was to use the Redodo batteries during the nighttime for the A/C if needed or cloudy days. Designing for Off-Grid private land during the summer months. The sun hours range from 5.4 - 6.15. Ideally, the skoolie will sit under trees to help with the heat and use the BougeRV CIGS out in the sun.
HELP! & THANK YOU!

For your sake I wish you’d asked first!

To do what you are attempting and interconnect non-system batteries might not be able to be done. For the money you spent, however, it could easily be done at less money and more capacity.

What does Bluetthi CS say about using non-proprietary batteries? Or your documentation. I’d start there.

Or, if hassle free returns is possible I personally would return the bluetthi equip and buy an AIO and 10kWh of battery bank. You’ll have money left over and a good performing system. Fwiw LV6548 has an 8A (or is it 10A?) 12V service built in which should handle the water pump, and idle consumption is moderately low.
Those cigs panels, too, are rather pricey per watt!

Don’t mean to be a wet blanket - sorry I can’t help otherwise. I just see what you are attempting and there’s better, more spatially efficient, and less costly ways to do it. Fwiw I have been offgrid for ~5 years running successfully on about the same monetary investment as the AC500 alone.

For your sake I wish you’d asked first!

To do what you are attempting and interconnect non-system batteries might not be able to be done. For the money you spent, however, it could easily be done at less money and more capacity.

What does Bluetthi CS say about using non-proprietary batteries? Or your documentation. I’d start there.

Or, if hassle free returns is possible I personally would return the bluetthi equip and buy an AIO and 10kWh of battery bank. You’ll have money left over and a good performing system. Fwiw LV6548 has an 8A (or is it 10A?) 12V service built in which should handle the water pump, and idle consumption is moderately low.
Those cigs panels, too, are rather pricey per watt!

Don’t mean to be a wet blanket - sorry I can’t help otherwise. I just see what you are attempting and there’s better, more spatially efficient, and less costly ways to do it. Fwiw I have been offgrid for ~5 years running successfully on about the same monetary investment as the AC500 alone.
Thank you for your time and consideration with my situation. I wish that I had found this forum before I bought these components. YouTube and a Skoolie forum only confused me. No two contributors that I saw followed a duplicate best practice scenario. We pay for what we don't know, and I've paid out a lot because of my ignorance.

Information on Bluetti.
The AC500 is a 5000W pure sine wave invertor with 10,000W surge capability. It is a lithium generator that is dependent on their B300s batteries. The AC500 is stacked atop the batteries using Bluetti's short connectors. The AC500 has the ability to be simultaneously charged and discharged using AC and DC inputs/outputs. The B300s' can be charged via their PV and AC adapters. They have a single cigarette lighter port, USB-C, and USB-A ports for discharge.

My intention was to use the AC500 as the brain of my system. They have adapters for grid, solar, and lead-acid battery inputs, but as of today they still do not have an adapter between a lifepo4 bank and the AC500. I think that is long overdue. Searching for any updates on an adapter today, I came across an individual in a Bluetti forum asking questions on how to bridge that gap. A minimal 24V battery set up is required to meet the AC500's SOC (I am not sure if this is the correct term.) for charging. I know that I will need breakers, fuses, and the like, but I don't know the best / safest ones to use. I need it idiot proof!

Does anyone have a set up between a Bluetti AC500 and a Lifepo4 battery bank? How did you do it?

You are right about the CIGS solar panels!! I looked at rigid panels and how they needed to be permanently mounted on top of the bus. That means my steel box bus would be permanently in the sun. That seems counterintuitive if I'm trying to cool the space to a comfortable temperature. There is the fold out panels, but I would need way too many to supply my needs. They are even more expensive per inch. Rigid panels are easily damaged. Dummy here needs parts that will outdo my dumb moments ... lots of opportunity for lots of dumb moments.

12VoltInstalls, my reality of space in an 8 ft. x 34 ft. interior limits my set up to keeping the Bluettis inside and the battery bank outside in a fabricated box. Most skoolie people put the components under an extremely uncomfortable looking box with a 3" foam cushion on top and call it a couch. I will make my couch / bed to function as a couch / bed. That sort of stuff I can do.

I look forward to any more information that you or others could provide. Your comment has already caused me to search for the idle consumption of the AC500. Thanks.

minimal 24V battery set up is required to meet the AC500's SOC (I am not sure if this is the correct term.) for charging
“Nominal Voltage”
Rigid panels are easily damaged
I think of rigid panels as being less easily damaged… and much longer lasting.
reality of space in an 8 ft. x 34 ft. interior limits my set up to keeping the Bluettis inside and the battery bank outside in a fabricated box.
FWIW my camper is ~8’ wide 24’ long.
I used to have my lead acid batteries outside but I have 5kWh inside to not get too cold to charge. They don’t use that much space up imho.

Back