diy solar

diy solar

Can Solar & Wind Fix Everything (e.g., Climate Change) with a battery break-through?

Chris Packham’s BBC Series Warning of “Mass Extinction” by CO2 is Propaganda, Not Science​

Last year, Chris Packham hosted a five-part series on the BBC called Earth, which compared a mass extinction event 252 million years ago to the small rise in atmospheric carbon dioxide seen in the last 150 years. He said he hoped the “terror factor” generated by his programme would “spur us to do something about the environment crisis”. But as we shall see, the only terror factor is having to sit through an hour-long film consisting of cherry-picked science data and unproven assertions in the hope of persuading us that the increase in global temperatures in the last 150 years or so is comparable to the rise in temperatures over a considerable swath of geological time. Great play was made of a 12°C rise in average global temperatures 252 million years ago as CO2 levels started to rise, although Packham fails to report that CO2 levels were already at least four times higher back then than in modern times. The ‘science’ that Packham cloaks himself with on every occasion is hardly served by terrorising the viewer with what is little more than a highly personal political message.

Think of all that suffering and wastage, he says about the fourth great mass extinction. I don’t think we want a comparable extinction to the one that happened 252 million years ago on our conscience, he adds. Of course, Packham is not the first person to politicise the end-Permian extinction when most plant and animal life disappeared to be replaced eventually with what became known as the age of the dinosaurs. As we can see from the graph below, even though that extinction event coincided with an uptick in CO2 levels, the general trend over a 600-million-year period was downwards ending in the near denudation currently experienced today. But scientists note that the rise started some time before the extinction event, with most of the Permian characterised by very low levels of CO2.

image-2.png

It is obvious why the three other great extinctions are of little interest to modern day climate alarmists. The Ordovician extinction 445 million years ago occurred when CO2 levels were 12 times higher than today, the Devonian wipe-out happen 372 millions ago when CO2 levels were falling, while the later Triassic/Jurassic event 201 million years ago occurred at a time of stable CO2. Hard to see a pattern there suggesting rising CO2 levels equals a mass extinction event. The disappearance of the dinosaurs 66 million years ago is generally attributed to the impact of a giant meteorite, while the current sixth mass extinction exists only inside the head of the Swedish doom goblin, and need not detain us at this point.

Since Packham was essentially making a BBC political film promoting Net Zero, he inevitably started with the fixed view that all our current environmental problems are the fault of CO2. An intense period of volcanic eruptions that led to huge coal deposits catching fire increased CO2 levels and almost instantly sent temperatures soaring at the end of the Permian period. About 20 million years of rain subsequently followed, he observed, taking some of the CO2 out of the atmosphere and order it seems was restored. Certainly, CO2 resumed a small descent but levels remained almost as high, or for some periods higher, as those at the end of the Permian period for another 120 million years. Packham does not provide an explanation of what happened to the average global temperature at this time.

ximage-4.png.pagespeed.ic.pNda-wAiYq.webp

The graph above shows why he avoided the subject. Temperatures did rise at the end of the Permian period after a long decline, but only as far as previous highs recorded 200 million years earlier. They then stayed at those levels for most of the next 200 million years, throughout the age of the dinosaurs. Helped by the increased levels of CO2, this is considered one of the most verdant periods in Earth’s history.

Is it likely that volcanic eruptions triggered the substantial rise in temperature around 252 million years ago, as Packham claims? In a paper published in 2022, a group of European scientists said their data showed seawater temperature began to rise at least 300,000 years before the main volcanic eruptions. “Gradual warming by approximately 12°C was probably responsible for initial environmental degradation that eventually culminated in the global and Permian extinction,” they wrote. The scientists reviewed much of the published evidence and concluded “a temporal link between volcanic activity, environmental changes and biological impacts remains controversial”.

Carbon dioxide, of course, is the main cause of global warming in Packham’s world. Promoting his film to like-minded activists at the Guardian, he said it was the “urgency that makes me despair”. As we can see, this “despair” is the result of comparing events hundreds of millions of years ago with a small temperature rise in the past 150 years or so of around 1°C – and this after a short-term period of global cooling. You can of course argue about all this, but it is a bit rich to claim the science of recent global warming is ‘settled’ and refuse to debate anyone who disagrees with you.

From such a shaky base, Packham claims we’re all becoming far too complacent about pumping CO2 into the atmosphere. “It’s an experiment we have been running for over 100 years,” he told the Guardian. “The more the CO2, the more the heat is locked in and the hotter our Earth becomes.” But if Packham really believes that, how does he explain those geological periods when temperatures fall as CO2 levels rise? And if a rise in temperatures and mass extinction is inevitable when CO2 rises, how does that work in the current period when CO2 levels are as low as they’ve ever been?

Could it be that the end-Permian extinction was actually caused by CO2 starvation? During the Permian, it was the first time in Earth’s history that CO2 concentrations fell below 1,000 parts per million, perhaps as dangerously low as 200 ppm at some points. This may well have started to stress plant life since 1,000 ppm is a concentration that supports maximum photosynthesis productivity. This is the view of Jim Steele, Director Emeritus of San Francisco State University’s Sierra Nevada Field Campus. In a recent paper, he noted that many researchers have pointed to competition between different plant species for declining CO2 during the Permian period. This was said to result in “severely reduced photosynthesis, the collapse of primary productivity and a significant malfunction of the global food webs”.

The truth is that the scientific jury is still out and the ‘science’, as with most climate science, is unsettled. Perhaps inadvertently, Packham has simply drawn attention to all the observational evidence that suggests CO2, the gas of life, ‘saturates’ at around 300-400 ppm, and its warming effect is greatly diminished beyond that concentration. But “fear is motivating” he claims, and in the BBC he seems to have a compliant megaphone for whatever green propaganda he cares to promote.

pull from aeync's link.
climate change issue was very skillfully transformed by the left into an assault on the capitalist system from a new angle in the name of saving the planet.
aeync, as you can see from svetz's last post green energy is a good fit for a capitalist system, would like to see more
from US manufactures and engineers in the near future. I have spent $3000 is US dollars in the last year on batteries.(that's capital)

with the introduction of EV cars I would expect to see a number of new auto manufactures started, each of which supports
a large number of smaller businesses. textbook capitalist system

Last edited:
pull from aeync's link.

aeync, as you can see from svetz's last post green energy is a good fit for a capitalist system, would like to see more
from US manufactures and engineers in the near future. I have spent $3000 is US dollars in the last year on batteries.(that's capital)

with the introduction of EV cars I would expect to see a number of new auto manufactures started, each of which supports
a large number of smaller businesses. textbook capitalist system

You have to do more research.

Start here

(PS: Most batteries are made in China or are sourced from China)

PPS: Most of the stuff Svetz posts on "new battery tech" is complete pipe dream, still in research/development phase/not commercially viable. In other words its "flying cars" and "mr. fusion" that are just around the corner right TommySr?

PPPS. Na+ batteries have terrible energy density. They are not applicable for EVs and there are still many problems that need to be solved. Nothing can replace Lithuim for now, and Lithium has all the problems we have been talking about for a long time

Last edited:
Most batteries are made in China or are sourced from China
aenyc, that's on us, but I got them form a US importer who made money so they can eat
, the driver of the truck that got them to me made money to pay his rent, the list goes on.
capitalism at work for a large number of people here in the US even thou they got made
someplace else.

PS: I'm a glass half full kind of person 🤪

PPS: Most of the stuff Svetz posts on "new battery tech" is complete pipe dream
aenyc, that is what excites me the most, new innovations (which is sweet IMO).
still in research/development phase/not commercially viable
yet.
when I was 10 I wanted to be an inverter when I grow up, and today not all of my ideas are commercially viable
but some turned out to be, I found niche markets easiest to get a foot into. like paper converting industry and
Lapping industry are two niche markets that are still growing here in the US
PPPS. Na+ batteries have terrible energy density.
you are talking to the wrong person, I just got rid of my old tech batteries(flooded lead acid), and love the
energy density I get from the new tech lifeP04 batteries. day and night difference between them.
just waiting for the next advancement in battery tech, hope it come from here in the US.

Last edited:
PS: I'm a glass half full kind of person 🤪

It does not matter if you think its half full or half empty once you realize that there is piss in your glass.
Sorry mate

PS. I am still waiting on Mr Fusion too. Exciting tech man!!! And i want my flying car! Svetz keeps telling me its just around the corner (powered by electric unicorn fartz)

And i want my flying car!
aenyc, you may want to try hanggliding, I know people that can go hundreds of miles(most I ever got was 60 miles)
with just using solar energy(thermals) . can't get more efficient then that.

Capture468.PNG

once you realize that there is piss in your glass.
I hope I know better then to let myself think that way, nothing good could come from it (IMO).
I ended up in a stroke unit in a hospital one time, I can see how a person could come to that conclusion(piss in your glass).
but for the grace of god go I

but I did get grounded from hanggliding :cry:

Last edited:
with just using solar energy(thermals) . can't get more efficient then that.

View attachment 213014

I hope I know better then to let myself think that way, nothing good could come from it (IMO).
I ended up in a stroke unit in a hospital one time, I can see how a person could come to that conclusion(piss in your glass).
but for the grace of god go I

but I did get grounded from hanggliding :cry:

What does THAT have to do with batteries or EVs?

What does THAT have to do with batteries or EVs?
aenyc, could be the next big advancement, put a big spool of cable on the shaft of a generator
attach a real big kite to the cable and put the kite in a thermal, I've seen over 1500ft per minutes climbs
from thermals, and have gone up to 10000ft.

Capture469.PNG

just think of all the energy you could get from the jet stream :unsure:

Capture470.PNG

aenyc, keep your eyes, ears and mind open.

Last edited:
Courts strike down Britain’s inadequate climate action plan
The judge agreed ... that proposed policies would [not] achieve their intended emissions cuts. This breached section 13 of the Climate Change Act, which requires the secretary of state to adopt plans and proposals that they consider will enable upcoming carbon budgets to be delivered.

Summer heat hits Asia early "extreme event" in climate history
At the beginning of May, severe heat waves were already blamed for nearly three dozen deaths across the vast region. Schools have been forced to close weeks ahead of summer vacations and huge swaths of new crops have withered in parched farmland.

How kelp farms, an 'environmental powerhouse,' can help

Phasing out coal power in two major Southeast Asian thermal coal economies: Indonesia and Vietnam

Plans
Master Plan 3 was interesting... but Elon might be pie-in-the-sky, are there other plans that might not be so controversial?
You can find my Synopsis here on MP3. Yes, there are lots of other plans... finding one not controversial might be a challenge ; -)
  1. MRSC - Comprehensive Planning & MRSC - Climate Action Plans
  2. Planning for Climate Change Adaptation | US EPA
  3. United States - The Long-Term Strategy of the United States
  4. China
But a lot of big cities have their own climate action plans. While Florida doesn't believe in climate change and is removing all reference from state documents; Dade County has a Climate Change Action Plan and Miami has a Climate Action Strategy. A lot of counties and states have them, I'd say google around for your state/county to see what's what. If you do, tell us about it!

but I did get grounded from hang-gliding :cry:
:cry:

Hopefully not too much longer until someone hooks something like the Jetson (a flying EV you can buy today) up with a kite or electric paraglider or dirigible (Natural or turquoise hydrogen) for lift-assist to get 1000 miles per charge.
Next we just need to make them tow vehicles ; -)
Oh, and full self flying/landing (no one will see you flip it off pilot ;- )
maxresdefault.jpg
Still waiting for someone to DIY the Millenium Falcon dirigible ;)

Last edited:
Hopefully not too much longer until someone hooks something like the Jetson (a flying EV you can buy today) up with a kite or electric paraglider or dirigible (Natural or turquoise hydrogen) for lift-assist to get 1000 miles per charge.
Next we just need to make them tow vehicles ; -)
svetz, I get it (y):love:

IMO we are still closer to the Flintstones then the jetson because of our collective closed mind.

Capture471.PNG

Last edited:
Back