diy solar

diy solar

Can you introduce an isolater into the All-in-One system?

gdpetti

I was thinking of setting up a 24volt All-in-One system, but was wondering about isolater use. Can it be utilized with 12v to 24 volt converter or something, as they all seem 12v for van use that I've seen... as they are reading the coach battery charge levels which wouldn't match a 12v spec. So, I was wondering if the 12 volt alt flow could be sent into the All in One system like the solar or hookup... again, different voltages, unless you get the 12volt All-in-One, right? Or, you would have to get a second alternator like most of the companies put on, right? Seems they go to a much higher volt alternator Is that the only way to go? Putting in a second alternator, if you don't use a 12volt All-in-One and 12v battery setup? Staying 12v seems the only way to make use of the 12v alternator... seems a waste not to utilize it... if the skies aren't friendly for a while. Since I'm in the planning stage, it seems a good idea to think of these issues now. Any thoughts?

I had the same question....utilising an All-in-one unit to control the charging profile of a 48v lifepo4 battery bank. I was thinking that perhaps a voltage sensing relay from the alternator, which would only send power when the vehicle battery is full, but connecting it to a 12vdc to 240vac inverter, which should then be able to connect to the 'genset/utility' connection on the all in one unit. Thus the relay protects the vehicle alternator charging system and the all in one unit protects the battery bank. Just trying to confirm my theory though, as im new to this myself. A lot of losses in my proposed system, but if it was only needed to trickle charge during a long drive to the destination, it might still be worth it???
Sorry i cant give you a definative answer. :)

Last edited:
The only other thing I've heard from a van forum is to use a basic rely switch to send the alt feed to the batteries.. a battery monitor near the rely solenoid switch and your driver's seat... shut it off when it nears full or you near your destination or after 30 minutes as some of the isolaters are configured. Depending upon your battery setup, you would still need a convertor to transform it unless it's 12v... hard to get away from that. I was thinking of the 24v AllnOne, less of a conversion than a 48v... but essentially the same. I don't know if you could send it directly to the grid feed terminals on the AllnOne or not in a 12v format, would it have to be converted to mains 110v or campground 30amp/50amp? I don't remember any mention of that. Does the AllnOne take various formats from 'the grid'? and then convert it to charge the batteries or for direct use?

thanks, didn't see that one before... so not everything is on Amazon afterall.... yes, it does look like what I'm looking for if I go with the 24v All-n-One unit... a wee bit more than I wanted to pay, but does fit the puzzle. Thanks.

PS..... I wonder what the 'wholesale' or membership price is? Would it be worth joining just for this? Membership fee is $99, would likely not save enough to make it worthwhile unless they had everything else I would need.

But if you get the All in One, you wouldn't need the separate units they sell, and I didn't see any of the All in Ones on their site.... thus the 'membership' issue for a possible one time only purchase.

Back