diy solar

diy solar

Canadian Solar Modules - 48 volt?

Holly18

Hi there,

Super excited about this forum! Please excuse me if this question has been answered elsewhere, I wasn't able to find it.

I know that if I want to get solar panels into higher voltages you can wire them in series. I have a good lead on some used 300 watt Canadian Solar Modules. It looks like when I dig into them that the open circuit volatge is almost 40 volts already. How should I wire the panels to get them to 48 volts?

Sorry if this is a stupid question! I am still trying to learn.

In order to figure out how, you need to know what the maximum input voltage/wattage is of the solar controller they are going to be plugged into. If the max voltage of the controller is 100VDC, then you can wire as many panels in series to get near that voltage, assuming the total watts does not exceed the controller rating as well. In your case, the open voltage (VoC) of the panel is 40VDC, so assuming my example of 100VDC max, you could wire 2 in series for 80 VDC (VoC). 3 in series would be too much.

In the Learning section there are threads on how to calculate the proper panel setup.

Last edited:
Back