diy solar

diy solar

Cheap 4kwh LiFePO4 batteries from Battery Hookup

Great idea! I will need something bigger that I can walk into and stuff due to the size of my family and energy usage needs (I'll need quite a few batteries) but that's a very creative solution!

I have a whole house energy monitor (Sense product) and during the winter my highest usage per day is about 155kWh. Trying to decide how to size the battery bank if I wanted to take half the house off grid. Living in the midwest, heating via heat pump is the highest consumption during winter. We are dual fuel with propane based on where we live (no natural gas opportunities) but electric is still cheaper than propane.

Any ideas on how to calculate what was need in batteries at 24V?
Are you sure of the usage?
My MONTHLY average is 400Kwh... 155Kwh DAILY is huge... that’s over 4.6GIGAWATTHOURS a month!

This is awesome if affordable!
Plug and play BMS with multiple temp sensors! Included with the batteries!

"BYD has an external control box for the built in BMS so that it can talk to SMA and other inverters/chargers via rs485/CAN. These BYD modules are the first gen version as far as I can tell. MFG date is gonna be around 2013 I would guess. This is for the 2.0 version https://www.cclcomponents.com/byd-b-box-battery-management-unit "

Thanks for this link, Picasso. I did a quick search beginning with this information. Confusion: all I found refers to BY 2.5 Kwh modules, not the 5.6 nominal KwH modules we are buying. Is this version 1 vs version 2? Most interesting is that Victron has linked up with BYD to provide access to the interal BMS. See: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:byd_b-box . Notice the very informative wiring diagram contained on this site for an entire BD - Victron system. Can someone with more knowledge than myself analyze this new information? Q. Can we use the Victron link with our batteries to use the installed BMS directly without having to remove it and rewire? Q. Does the wiring diagram look good for putting an entire small home system together?

After a lot of searching today, I am at a dead end. I talked with a Victron technical support person and he said the Victron equipment communicates with the BYD BMU unit which communications with the BMS installed on each battery module. Picasso provided a link to a BYD BMU, unfortunately it is for the 48 v B-Box system not for our 24 v battery. A search for a BYD 24 v BMU brings up nothing. I called BYD north American division and they deal with automotive matters and had no idea what I was talking about nor could they transfer me to someone that might know. So, its a dead end as far as I can see.

After a lot of searching today, I am at a dead end. I talked with a Victron technical support person and he said the Victron equipment communicates with the BYD BMU unit which communications with the BMS installed on each battery module. Picasso provided a link to a BYD BMU, unfortunately it is for the 48 v B-Box system not for our 24 v battery. A search for a BYD 24 v BMU brings up nothing. I called BYD north American division and they deal with automotive matters and had no idea what I was talking about nor could they transfer me to someone that might know. So, its a dead end as far as I can see.
I reached out to a buddy that programs backup systems for a living, I will post here if he can make up a solution

Supervstech: glad you are getting 4 units, same as what I am getting. Cant wait to start working on them with you.

I found a bit more background history. BYD introduced the B-Box series of 48 v 2.5 KwH batteries in 2017 to replace the 24 v 5.6 Kwh batteries we are buying. See: https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/byd-brings-b-box-battery-battleground/ . But no closer to finding any technical specifications for this battery nor any hint of a BMU.

Supervstech: glad you are getting 4 units, same as what I am getting. Cant wait to start working on them with you.

I found a bit more background history. BYD introduced the B-Box series of 48 v 2.5 KwH batteries in 2017 to replace the 24 v 5.6 Kwh batteries we are buying. See: https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/byd-brings-b-box-battery-battleground/ . But no closer to finding any technical specifications for this battery nor any hint of a BMU.
Ok... now I want some 48v units...

View attachment 1994
They are back in stock (3000 units available), and after looking them over and asking Tom (owner of battery hookup), a daly bms is what most people are using. I should also add, that they do not have low temp cut, so you need a victron controller w/ battery sense (with low temp cut off enabled) if you wish to use it with solar.

Because I am getting a lot of emails about this, lets throw together a battery package so that you do not damage the batteries:
  1. Click Here for the Batteries. And use coupon code "SOLAR" (my affiliate code) for 10% off entire order
  2. Click here for a 200 amp Common Port 8S Daly BMS (if you need more than 200 amps, use a 500 amp relay, and trigger it with this bms)
  3. Click here for victron SCC's. Be sure to add a battery sense (click here) and enable low temp protection.
  4. If you want check the invidual cell voltages, click here for a balance lead and click here for a cell monitor
Attached below are pictures from Tom showing how most people are charging (ISDT or similar chargers). This works well for most people, but if you do not have a low temp disconnect, and your batteries get cold during the winter and it charges with solar, the battery will be destroyed. But for some of you, it will work well:
View attachment 1990View attachment 1991

They even make a 1000w charger now: click here, but it does not have low temp cut off protection.

So yeah, pretty simple battery to use at a good price. The next thing you guy's need to know is that the shipping charges are extreme unless you order more than one battery. So it is best to order multiple batteries, or pick them up at the warehouse (1375B Adams Road Bensalem PA 19020 )

Let me know if you guys want to know more about these batteries. Pretty simple to use and require your own low temp cut off, but crazy cheap!
Hi all. My first question here on the form. Very excited to develop my system. How would this work with using the MPP Solar 24V. After the BMS is installed, is there anything I would install between the BMS and MPP? This is where I'm not sure. I'm thinking a Victron Battery Protect, and a fuse on the battery or this that not necessary since the MPP has the Circuit Breakers/ Temperature Protection/ Custom Charge Profiles features.

So I'm new here, but I have a question, these are listed at 24v, but also claim to be good you for an RV which most run 12v.

I'm not seeing anything that would make these easily changed to 12v.. or am I missing something? Because the size to price seems amazing, Especially if split to 12v and I could pick it up to save shipping....

So I'm new here, but I have a question, these are listed at 24v, but also claim to be good you for an RV which most run 12v.

I'm not seeing anything that would make these easily changed to 12v.. or am I missing something? Because the size to price seems amazing, Especially if split to 12v and I could pick it up to save shipping....
Hi. New here too. There are videos on Will Prowse's YouTube channel on buildlng 24v systems where he uses a 24-12V converter and Blue Sea 12V fuse to allow you to use 12V appliances with 24V system. https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/2000-watt-24v-solar-system.html

This should do the trick unless you need more than 40 amps.

Thats the beauty of it. They are lifepo4, so they will work perfectly. Unlike tesla or any NMC pack. Those are cheap, but have a horrible voltage to work with. lifepo4 works perfect with 2424lv
I’m driving down from Toronto tomorrow morning to pick up two of these for my planned RV. @Will Prowse I’d asked previously about the LV2424 and inductive appliances (induction cooktop, microwaves. Any thoughts on that?

Last edited:
Can anyone advise if these batteries would be easy to convert to 12v. I currently have a 12v inverter / charger and all the boat electronics run on 12v.

I contacted the seller and they stated just cut the battery bridge between cells 4 and 5. But they were not able to advise how to make the connections.

Also, has anyone looked at unsoldering the bridges and removing the cells from the case.

David plz is using them on his channel, but he is banking them to 48v... I have watched his videos, but I’m not sure how hard it would be to change them to 12v... but running hem at 24v, gets you better options in inverters, lower wiring costs, and plenty of charger options... and a buck converter can power all your 12v loads.

In his video tear down of he cells, it shows them.
Looks simple enough to cut the center tabs, then tie the halves parallel to get it in the 12v range.

I’m driving down from Toronto tomorrow morning to pick up two of these for my planned RV. @Will Prowse I’d asked previously about the LV2424 and inductive appliances (induction cooktop, microwaves. Any thoughts on that?
Just picked up two of these batteries and am down the street at the local Cracker Barrel.
If any of you are thinking of splitting these batteries in two to get twin 12volt batteries be warned. Before you cut the two straps holding them together you should have already put new straps around each set of four with a board supporting each end. Yeah, I know it’s unlikely anyone will do this, but be warned.
Battery Hookup, the vendor, did split one just to investigate. These are soft-sides prismatic cells. If left to support themselves they sag, and as I was told, you can’t get them back to their original shape, no way, no how.
The batteries came from a solar farm in Arizona, and weigh 160 lbs (73kgs) each.
They have just received 350 more, which they are testing and cleaning up. Built like the proverbial brick outhouse.
They are going fast.

Last edited:
Back