diy solar

diy solar

circuit breaker spark

Yes, it looks like the glass fuse is blown. The continuity test failed and I am unable to tell if the filament inside is cut near one of the ends. I will have to use my CEN-TECH that I got for free at Harbor Freight. :)
I suspected as much.
The fact that is was able to burn off the tip of the probe faster than it burned out the fuse is surprising.
I would not trust that meter for reading Amperage again unless you can reference it against a new meter and verify it's reading right, meaning nothing else inside of it got fried.
Yes it is a right of passage and it has happened to me with a low cost meter. After that incident it never read current properly again. It has also happened again with an expensive Fluke meters but in all cases the fast acting fuse saved it.
Fluke meters are fairly bullet proof.

Ahh, ok. I will not be doing this again! :)
Should I replace the circuit breaker?

I will open it up and see if the fuse has blown.

Next purchase will be a clamp on Meter. I have one on the wish list on amazon.

thanks again.

When you buy one get one with an 'inrush' setting.

edit - DC inrush - that means it has a high sample rate to catch the leading edge. For Ac it doesn't need the high sample rate - I found several on amazon that do it for around $100ish ... or you can get the Fluke-393 FC meter for $900ish :) Or the Fluke-375 FC for $350ish much less if you trust aliexpress

NOTE - I love Fluke meters and they are wonderful, but expensive and intended for folks that use them all the time on the job - Bulletproof as mentioned above and they cost it.

But - if you look at the specs on the Fluke and compare it to the $100 version you will see the cheaper meter is good enough for anything a DIY person is going to do. The extra accuracy is only good on a test bench when it matters. In the field it doesn't matter if you are .1 amps off when measuring 100amps.
The higher sample rate means you chops the incoming voltage waveform into more parts and then does averaging so you get a more accurate reading. This is really more important than the number of digits on the screen or the stated ± accuracy.

Last edited:
Could someone translate this please.

Chatgpt says -

User

You
the topic is a DC breaker with a burned contact on one side translate this to what the user meant?
I found a crimped on wire feral sold the issue. I am perusing a come commercial bullet breaker resolution

It seems like the user is discussing a situation with a DC circuit breaker that has a burned contact on one side and they've identified a solution. Here's a clearer interpretation of their message:

"I discovered that a crimped-on wire ferrule solved the issue. I am pursuing a commercial circuit breaker solution."

This means they found that properly attaching a wire ferrule (a metal band used to consolidate stranded wire to ensure a reliable connection) resolved a problem, likely related to the burned contact. Now, they are looking into a professional or commercial-grade circuit breaker as a more permanent solution.

edit - DC inrush - that means it has a high sample rate to catch the leading edge. For Ac it doesn't need the high sample rate - I found several on amazon that do it for around $100ish ... or you can get the Fluke-393 FC meter for $900ish :) Or the Fluke-375 FC for $350ish much less if you trust aliexpress

NOTE - I love Fluke meters and they are wonderful, but expensive and intended for folks that use them all the time on the job - Bulletproof as mentioned above and they cost it.

But - if you look at the specs on the Fluke and compare it to the $100 version you will see the cheaper meter is good enough for anything a DIY person is going to do. The extra accuracy is only good on a test bench when it matters. In the field it doesn't matter if you are .1 amps off when measuring 100amps.
The higher sample rate means you chops the incoming voltage waveform into more parts and then does averaging so you get a more accurate reading. This is really more important than the number of digits on the screen or the stated ± accuracy.
I am leaning toward the $100-ish range. It would be easier to get approved. 😁

I may have done something similar once, and I may have needed to replace the fuse in my meter a while back. And, being an analog meter at the time, the needle may have slammed itself momentarily to the far right peg...

I am leaning toward the $100-ish range. It would be easier to get approved. 😁

Yeah, I am leaning towards the Fluke-393 meter now and will ask forgivness. Wanna buy a slightly used Fluke 323? It will do 400amps DC, but not inrush. You only need inrush for measuring startup current. Condition is "like new" no scratches, dents, dings or discolorations - no leads or accessories but you can get a good set for $25 or a cheap set for $10. PM me with an offer - I got it as part of a kit and have no use for 2 clamp meters.

If you aren't interested I'll post it in the for sale area (or if the moderator doesn't like this post I'll withdraw and post there.)

EDIT:
No DC current

Last edited:
As for the Fluke 393,

"
DC Current
Range999.9 A
Resolution0.1 A
Accuracy2 % RD + 5 digits[1]
"

100 mA resolution.
One of the reasons I bought Harbor Freight Ames 1000A for $100, it has 10 mA resolution.
Better for comparing PV strings.

o_O

I am sorry - not a DC current meter - just AC - very very sad - I really do need a different meter - will post it in for sale.

1715626392682.png

I use an Ames 1000A AC/DC clamp. Carefully read the instructions before use :)

How well has it held up over time? Is the case solid? i.e. if you drop it from working height would it break? Is it accurate when checking against another meter?

Seems I am in the market for a new meter and in light of the spendy prize of the Fluke-393. So these are serious questions.

I bought several of those meters to make gifts to friends. All of the meters were wildly inaccurate when I tried to measure 12v. I tesetd the eters against my other accurate meters.

This has been my experince with any of the meters I have gotten from harbor frieght - The freebies/$5 especially but also more expensive ones, I stopped at $30 on one and that was a mistake the first time I dropped it there was no putting it back together again no matter how much bailing wire and duct tape I used.

I will put one on order today.

I am looking at this clamp meter. It shows that it can measure 40amps DC up to 400amps. Amazon clamp meter
View attachment 215021
. I’ve got one and other ppl tried one liked it too.

The meter works well ….. I’m amazed your meter is not fried. Watch some videos on youtube or better get someone local to hell you. DC will burn the crap out of you. AC will kill you. Zero shame in asking for help. Everyone had to learn. Electricty needs utmost respect you and I - everyone needs to do our best to learn. I’ve been working with electricity since stuck a fork in outlet about 5 yrs old. It tingled so good.

This is the replacement:

IMG_6434.jpeg

You can use min/max for most things we do. Used it for years had all kinds of meters. Leaving battery in and it leaking kills meters loaning out meters mean they never come back too.

With dc amp the should be arrow on clamp it points to the dc source aka battery. Dc current measuring is bit different then ac.

Now after that this is what use …. It works good enough. Other ppl here have 1 too.

True rms cat3

IMG_6435.jpeg

Suggestion if you want to spend more…
IMG_6436.jpeg

How well has it held up over time? Is the case solid? i.e. if you drop it from working height would it break? Is it accurate when checking against another meter?

Seems I am in the market for a new meter and in light of the spendy prize of the Fluke-393. So these are serious questions.

This has been my experince with any of the meters I have gotten from harbor frieght - The freebies/$5 especially but also more expensive ones, I stopped at $30 on one and that was a mistake the first time I dropped it there was no putting it back together again no matter how much bailing wire and duct tape I used.
They have a decent reputation. I use mine casually for my own projects and have only had it for about 6 months. Its a good affordable clamp meter, you can get them for 89-99 USD (more expensive on amazon).. The klein tools are similar and cost a few bucks more. I didn't do any drop tests, but its well built, the only issue I have experienced is the clamp some times needs slight adjusting when closing. As far as accuracy I'd say it's accurate enough for my needs but I don't have a fluke to test it against. You can find some comparisons on youtube. As with professional equipment, you are supposed to have these calibrated once a year for accuracy.

Here's one I melted a while back when some idiot thought it would be a great idea to measure current of the panels hooked up to a 24V 100Ah bank...
Surprisingly the meter still reads voltage accurately, amps don't work...

Edit - this is the clamp. meter I bought. It doesn't have DC inrush.
I've been very happy with this meter, unfortunately it's not available. https://a.co/d/4EP9P5d

Attachments

• IMG_20240513_160832.jpg
    IMG_20240513_160832.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back