diy solar

diy solar

Code Compliant Off-Grid Hybrid Inverter & Battery Bank Details?

Stotts47

I try to do everything myself I am able. I am building a new home completely off-grid, no grid tie, but it has to be inspected by WA state labor & industries. I am told by local electricians that some inspectors are sticklers for every code detail and others just glance at stuff. So I have I'd like to have a set-up that will pass a fair level of scrutiny. I plan on purchasing an EG4 18kpv, with a Lifepower4 bank of 9 batteries, 2 racks, generator hooked to inverter to charge batteries, will add solar later (9kw-12kw). I plan to hook the system to a 100 amp panel in the shop initially then turn the 100 amp panel into a sub-panel after the house is built.

My questions are as follows:
I need a plug for the generator to feed the inverter. Do I need a fuse, breaker, or disconnect between the two?
Inverter connects to the two batter banks. Do I need a fuse, breaker, or disconnect between the inverter and the battery banks?
Do I wire each battery bank separately to the inverter or do I use a busbar to distribute the power? or connect the two banks together into one somehow?
Inverter connects to the main panel. Do I need a fuse, breaker, or disconnect between the two?
Do I need to use a wireway, or is conduit code compliant?
Do any breakers or fuses need to be in an enclosure?
Do I need to ground the wireway or other enclosures?
I recall something about equal wire lengths to the batteries, is this per bank, or should both banks be the same length?
Was thinking about getting the EG4 Communications hub, is this necessary/helpful?
Wire gauge recommendations?
Do I need emergency shut off buttons/switches/disconnects anywhere that the inverter doesn't already have covered?
Assuming 12k of solar, what additional components if any should I pre-install or make sure I have room for to lesson the headache later?
Any other code compliance considerations I should be aware of?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

With a off grid system the inspector may be lost

run the gen into a small breaker box then feed the inverter from that

only use class t fuses on the battery side for the inverter power cable

I would recommend a buss bar

correct size breaker for main panel for power from inverter

conduit is ok

breakers yes fuses dc side I don’t think so

any metal should be bonded to earth ground

equal cable length is best

not sure on the hub

size according to nec requirements

when you add the solar, input pv disconnect, lightning protection, combiner box depending on panel layout

these are my best guesses Washington st is a pita

Back