diy solar

diy solar

Combining battery cables?

tumbi1

Hello,

newbie question - I need to connect some batteries to an MPPT controller, which requires cabling rated to about 150 amps. I have a number of 100 amp cables on hand, so can you combine say 2 for each connection (positive and negative) to cover the extra amps?

Hello,

newbie question - I need to connect some batteries to an MPPT controller, which requires cabling rated to about 150 amps. I have a number of 100 amp cables on hand, so can you combine say 2 for each connection (positive and negative) to cover the extra amps?

Yes. Fuse each wire.

Yes, understood, always the active wire.

Also try keep the two POS & the two NEG wires the same length

If one is shorter than the other , it will take more of the load and possibly overheat

I think they'd have to be quite a significant difference to cause any issues but it's worth keeping mind

If one is shorter than the other , it will take more of the load and possibly overheat

I think they'd have to be quite a significant difference to cause any issues but it's worth keeping mind

To be clear , the neg and pos can be different lengths , it's the parallel cables that need to match (eg. Pos & pos both the same , neg & neg both the same)

Will do, thanks. The cables I am substituting are the same length.

Back