diy solar

diy solar

Conext XW+6848 and Gateway v1.17

extrafu

Hello,

I'm using a Conext XW+6848 (latest firmware at 2.07.00bn4) and I recently replaced my Combox with a InsightHome gateway which is running firmware v1.16b4.

I'm looking at upgrading the InsightHome firmware to v1.17b079 but in the release notes, it's mentioned in the known limitations for this build:

"For XW+, upgrade Gateway firmware to v1.17 is not recommended"

Any of you guys done it? Any issues?

I would like to get the fixes and I expect I'll need the new features especially around supported batteries when I replace my lead acid bank with an upcoming LiFePO4 build with the JK Inverter BMSes (which supposedly support Schneider).

Thanks,

@hogback Thanks for your answer. As for the JK BMS inverter features, unsure yet - I haven't investigated in details what could be done. Ideally, SOC to adjust my AGS's start/stop SOC levels.

I didn't notice any issues. 1.18 had big issues though. But I'm not sure what the benefit would be either over 1.16. I forget which I am running now.

Combox is for the XW+, can work with XW Pro but will not control/access all parameters

Gateway can handle the XW Pro and XW+

Last edited:
@dougbert I think the InsightHome gateway is more the successor of the Combox. The literature of the InsightHome gateway lists the XW+ as a Xanbus-supported devices.

I basically replaced by Combox (but still have it) so that I would have access again to InsightCloud. It used to work with the Combox but it stopped a few months ago. What I like with InsightCloud is that I can change some settings remotely - like starting/stopping the generator.

They just don't support it on the most recent firmware.

Yep, when you have a moment, if you don't mind let me know which version you use. It looks like they added a warning on XW+ usage in v1.17 and v1.18 - maybe they'll remove it in an upcoming version 🤷‍♂️

@hwy17 Thanks! Looks like you are using an unreleased version since the latest available from the Schneider website is v1.18-bn41!

I'm running 1.18 on insight facility with xwpros, and I can't remember what is on the gateway for the xw+, but it's at least four if not five years old. No issues with the +, but it's off grid, dc coupled solar, and I'm happy with open loop battery management.

I'm also fully off-grid with a XW+ and the reason I am interested in upgrading or keeping up with batteries is the potential support/integration with the new JK Inverter BMS.

I have six batteries connected to the xw+, and each has a jk inverter bms. I am not convinced that closed loop will work without excessive programming hacks. I'd love to be wrong. Programming and canbus architecture is not my forte. I tried looking via the jk desktop app at several of the batteries daisy chained, and nothing was intelligible. I do know that the latest xwpro (or maybe facility?) firmware is needed for mppt to chat with bms information, and this seems crucial to get much if any benefit from closed loop off grid. Just the way I see it anyways....

In futzing around with it recently I was having my XW+ not show up in insighthome on 1.17 so I'm going to 1.14 now. Maybe 1.17 is not as problem free as I thought for the XW+.

It showed up first time on 1.14. I don't have any desire to add BMS comms anymore so I might just be on 1.14 permanently now unless they release a new officially supported XW+ version.

@hwy7 From the release notes it only mentions that starting v1.17 it isn't recommend to upgrade so at least you should be fine with v1.16. I'm running that version and all is good.

On a side note, anyone thinking that putting those Operating / Standby buttons on the Devices screen is plain stupid? First time I was navigating in the InsightHome I put all my devices into Standby with a single click. What a mess it was.

Back