diy solar

diy solar

Connecting AIO with NEMA 14-50 pros and cons

Siamac

I've seen Will Prowse do this. He used a NEMA connection to connect his inverter to his electric panel. He wired the end of a NEMA plug into the inverter and then just plugged it in

I like this idea because it will give me flexibility to move my inverter to different subpanels based on how I change my grount mount configuration. Essentially it will be like a solar generator. I think the rules for solar generators are a little looser than rooftop solar.

Any ideas? Recommendations? NEC police?

wired the end of a NEMA plug into the inverter and then just plugged it in
If the current draw of the aio is less than or equal to the outlet rating I do not see a practical concern.
Maybe the NFPA provision against using temporary cords being utilized as a permanent means of power might be considered.

If the current draw of the aio is less than or equal to the outlet rating I do not see a practical concern.
Maybe the NFPA provision against using temporary cords being utilized as a permanent means of power might be considered.
But I think the whole point is to not be "permanent." ;)

like this idea because it will give me flexibility to move my inverter to different subpanels based on how I change my grount mount configuration. Essentially it will be like a solar generator
But I think the whole point is to not be "permanent." ;)
Ya, but just being thorough since his intent sounds semipermanent

As long as it is portable it should be ok from a code perspective. If I were to do that I would use a pin-and-sleeve connector, but they are stupid expensive. An L14 is a reasonable compromise for most, but I would avoid straight plugs for anything but testing.

I have wired inverter ouputs to a "portable generator" hookup as if the inverter were a generator.
Just make sure breakers in subpanels are used and where necessary interlocked.

In addition the "hot end" of the power cord must be female.

One of my current setups which is temporary has the 10kw inverter outpout going through a 60 amp breaker to a range outlet, the same outlet you will find on many 10kw or better portable generators. I use a generator cable to connect this to my generator connection and of course have to open the breaker to the grid in order to close the breaker for the generator connection.
No fires or smoke and no tripped breakers (so far)

This is what I use for my generator or inverter:
Generator cord and power inlect box

That's for my inverter. I already have a NEMA 14-50 receptacle connected to my subpanel
The inverter needs to be a female. And the panel needs to be a male.
What you are trying to do is referred to as a suicide cord.
Your friend evidently doesn't know what they are doing.

The inverter needs to be a female. And the panel needs to be a male.
What you are trying to do is referred to as a suicide cord.
Your friend evidently doesn't know what they are doing.
Hmm
I took it that the post was referring to the 120VAC In not the output side. He said inverter but was referring to an AIO or inverter/charger.
But I’ve been wrong before

Use a breaker and female range receptacle on the output of the inverter. Install a generator power inlet box for each subpanel with a breaker in the subpanel for the generator power inlet box and interlocked with any breaker that provides grid power to the subpanel.

This way you can plug a standard generator cord into the inverter range receptacle and thegenerator power inlet box for the subpanel you wand to power. A standard generator extension cord for larger generators has a male range plug that plugs into the generator/inverter and a female end that plugs into the generator power inlet box. (not a suicide cord)

Since each subpanel has a generator power inlet box you can use either the inverter or backup generator to power the subpanel. If you have a "grid" breaker in the subpanel you could also power the subpanel from the grid, just ensure the generator/inverter input breaker is interlocked with the grid breaker so only one can be closed and any time.

I have an AOI. I have space for only one connection, so it's either in or out into subpanel.

So I was planning on wiring that cord into the input of the AIO. I can run it on grid tie mode.

Marion brings up a good point too. When I flip the interlock and turn off the grid, I have to have a connection to the output of the AIO. So I have to either manually rewire that cord into output and change to off grid mode (which isn't realistically feasible) or I need the option for the 2 connections. Maybe I need to wire that cord I linked on the input of AIO and wire a 14-30 generator inlet cord on the ouput of AIO? (so I would have it plugged into NEMA 14-50 regularly on grid tie mode, then swith to off grid mode and plug into generator inlet and flip interlock)

I hope you guys understand what I'm saying. And of course, every connection is going to have it's own breaker.

But live suicide cords are fun! Especially if you have some wet floors.

I know you guys are trying to be funny, but beginners might see this later and get the wrong idea

I know you guys are trying to be funny, but beginners might see this later and get the wrong idea
Well sparky was funny, a kind of hyperbole.

But I don’t think “I” was being funny. There seems to be confusion on how to get the thread goal done regarding the terms ‘inlet’ and ‘outlet.’
I’m offgrid, have a generator that inputs to an AIO, and no suicide cord or unsafe/exposed cord ends anywhere. Never been shocked by my system.

The problem with shocks is sometimes they’re lethal. Lights out, and dead. Heart stopped. Never to breathe again. Not knowing how and why you can arrive there is what kills you.

Well sparky was funny, a kind of hyperbole.

But I don’t think “I” was being funny. There seems to be confusion on how to get the thread goal done regarding the terms ‘inlet’ and ‘outlet.’
I’m offgrid, have a generator that inputs to an AIO, and no suicide cord or unsafe/exposed cord ends anywhere. Never been shocked by my system.

The problem with shocks is sometimes they’re lethal. Lights out, and dead. Heart stopped. Never to breathe again. Not knowing how and why you can arrive there is what kills you.

Can you please explain the difference and extra dangers of wiring an AIO to the subpanel hardwired into a breaker, vs doing the same thing except with an extra step of going through a receptacle and then to the breaker?

Can you please explain the difference and extra dangers of wiring an AIO to the subpanel hardwired into a breaker, vs doing the same thing except with an extra step of going through a receptacle and then to the breaker?
It has to be the right receptacle. Never should there be live exposed prongs anywhere. So an inlet socket should have prongs so that the inlet cord is a socket. Like this (example, not this specific one).

1704723841694.jpeg

Back