diy solar

diy solar

Connecting Solar Controller

benjamintylerr

I have a burning question that I can't seem to find the explanation to. My sister-in-law is installing a solar system on her RV and when it comes to connecting the solar controller it needs to he connected to the batteries first. I understand the reasoning behind that. What I don't understand is why does the negative terminal of the solar charge controller get connected to the battery first, and then the positive? I apologize if I'm being dense, but that seems incorrect to me. Just looking for an explanation as to why it is that way. Thanks.

I have a burning question that I can't seem to find the explanation to. My sister-in-law is installing a solar system on her RV and when it comes to connecting the solar controller it needs to he connected to the batteries first. I understand the reasoning behind that. What I don't understand is why does the negative terminal of the solar charge controller get connected to the battery first, and then the positive? I apologize if I'm being dense, but that seems incorrect to me. Just looking for an explanation as to why it is that way. Thanks.
What model controller? A Victron only needs battery connected first to detect voltage on first power on, but otherwise theres no damage or anything like that

The manual does show it that way.

On my system there is a fuse and on/off switch on the positive wire to the battery, but the negative wire is always connected to the battery. The positive is switched off to power down the Rover when working on the solar system and then switched on to power up the Rover when work is complete.

So there does seem to be some logic to connecting the negative wire first to power up the Rover.

It's a Renogy Rover.

Suggest clicking the link below and reading the post on this forum about setting the parameters and more on a Renogy Rover.

Then read the entire thread the post is in for more information and discussion on the Renogy Rover Solar Charge Controller.

Back