diy solar

diy solar

Connecting the AC wiring from Inverter (Grid Tie) to the Meter

PoPoShoo

Alright - Panels Installed...DC Wiring connected to the Inverter...the 2-2-2-4 cable is buried and connected to the 240v Shut-off switch box.

Now, the AC power needs to go from Shut-Off box to the Grid.

Our Utility requires that a licensed Electrician makes the AC cable connection to the Grid. He's hired and will be here in a couple of weeks.

After work is done, the solar system remains shut off til' the Utility replaces the old meter with a net meter

I'm curious, how will this be done? Is the meter connected to the 240v Shut off box so that the solar generated electricity is tied to the grid?

They just change your existing meter. It remains in the same location. The new meter can record current flowing in both directions.
Hi Tim, you've been a lot of help on our solar project. Let me clarify my question: How is the AC (coming from inverter) hooked up to the Grid?
We've got the 2-2-2-4 cable hooked up to the AC Safety Shutoff Switch. From their, the AC needs to get to the meter. Will my electrican run wire from Shutoff Switch box to the Meter?

Is the AC from shutoff switch first ran to the Main breaker box?

I know afterwards, the utility will switch out meter with the new net-meter

Hi Tim, you've been a lot of help on our solar project. Let me clarify my question: How is the AC (coming from inverter) hooked up to the Grid?
We've got the 2-2-2-4 cable hooked up to the AC Safety Shutoff Switch. From their, the AC needs to get to the meter. Will my electrican run wire from Shutoff Switch box to the Meter?

Is the AC from shutoff switch first ran to the Main breaker box?

I know afterwards, the utility will switch out meter with the new net-meter
It should be tied into the main panel.
The breaker for it, should be located at the opposite end of the bus bar from the main feed. (This is to avoid overloading the bus in the main panel)

For example:
If your main panel is rated for 200 amps.
And the inverter is rated for 50 amps.
If the inverter is connected close to the main breaker.
There's nothing to stop you from drawing 250 amps through the bus bar.
But, if the inverter is at the opposite end.
And you managed to have a 250 amp load.
It would pull 200 amps from the end with the main, and 50 amps from the end with the inverter feed.
No part of the bus bar would see over its 200 amp rating.

here is a pic of the Main Breaker. Is there room to add a breaker for the Solar A/C ?

If not, could "Line Connection" be used...where you'd put a junction box out of the meter and hook A/C up there

Attachments

• House Breaker 2.JPG
    House Breaker 2.JPG
    598.6 KB · Views: 20
What are the 20 and 70 amp breakers feeding?
You may need to add another panel, and move one of them to it with the solar. Then feed the new panel from the main panel.

The other option would be to replace the panel in the picture, with one that has more spaces.

Had i known that you were going to an outdoor panel of this type. You wouldn't have needed the disconnect, at all.

What are the 20 and 70 amp breakers feeding?
I wondered that too. I was thinking these might feed 2 different sub-panels kind of because they are tandem breakers. Also, a 20A and a 70A sub-panel? And the 2 legs off the top of the bus going thru the back of the panel to a 3rd sub-panel?

Off of the top, and out the back. Is a 200a panel.
More than likely, for that building.
The 70a, could be another building. Maybe a garage or barn?
The 20a, could be a pump of some kind.
Well, pond, pool, or maybe sewage.

Hi Folks. Breakers:

200a - Main

70a - Shop (located about 100' from house

40a - Well pump

Tim, our Utility requires a single-throw Safety Switch for the Solar A/C

Hi Folks. Breakers:

200a - Main

70a - Shop (located about 100' from house

40a - Well pump

Tim, our Utility requires a single-throw Safety Switch for the Solar A/C
I had pretty close gueses, on what the breakers were feeding. lol
And yes, I remember now, you saying that your local utility company required a safety switch.

Simplest solution is to add a 4 circuit panel.
Put the solar and well pump, in the new panel.
And, feed the new panel with a 100a breaker.
From the existing well pump breaker location.

THNX, Tim...our electrician will be here this coming week.

PS - I could also have a 30 amp RV outlet added with an extra a new panel added :)

THNX, Tim...our electrician will be here this coming week.

PS - I could also have a 30 amp RV outlet added with an extra a new panel added :)
Yes
Make the new panel a 12 circuit, for future additions.

Back