diy solar

diy solar

Converting Existing Grid Tie System to Off Grid

RoyGBiv

I have two separate solar panel systems on my house. The one in yellow is on a string inverter (SMA) I recently replaced (Old one died after 13 years) with the help of the good folks on this forum. The other existing system (outlined in blue) on the garage uses Enphase M215 micros. Some of those have gone bad on me. I could replace the bad micros under warranty but Id rather just convert that system to an off grid one with battery backup. I will use this mainly for charging my two PHEVs. Im wondering what I will need to provide the building permit folks since the panels are already mounted. Im just going to be rewiring them to a EG4 6000xp inverter mounted on the back wall of the garage, with a EG4 PowerPro battery mounted on the wall below that. Would they just need the wiring diagram? Obviously new conduit would be run to the garage interior. HOA has already approved the change with the stipulation of acquiring any needed permits from the county. Guidance is much appreciated.

Plan.png

Last edited:
The only thing you are keeping the same are the panels. I would do it like you are doing a new system. You need:
Rapid Shutdown
Wiring able to handle the strings in DC mode, although if sized for 240vAC, it may be ok.
New inverter and Battery

I would grid connect and get PTO. What happens if there is not enough juice in the battery, and you want to charge?

The only thing you are keeping the same are the panels. I would do it like you are doing a new system. You need:
Rapid Shutdown
Wiring able to handle the strings in DC mode, although if sized for 240vAC, it may be ok.
New inverter and Battery

I would grid connect and get PTO. What happens if there is not enough juice in the battery, and you want to charge?

Yes, panels and mounting equipment. This is more a tinker project for me so I can learn how to setup an off grid system. I am not worried about not having enough juice to charge up my PHEVs. I just want everything to be square with local code compliance. I could quickly hook all this up, its a simple setup. But I want to make sure I learn how to do it the right way.

Your HOA needs to approve a change in your wiring? All you are doing is re-stringing the blue, pulling the micro inverters, tying in the wire.

Your HOA needs to approve a change in your wiring? All you are doing is re-stringing the blue, pulling the micro inverters, tying in the wire.
Do you guys not have HOAs? My HOA is insane. The only thing new (in their eyes) will be the EMT conduit. It will run to the garage vs the north side of the house. Not a long run at all but they will notice new conduit. Heck, these assholes complained about existing conduit from my 14 year old system, had to explain to them that it had been there for over a decade.

Do you guys not have HOAs? My HOA is insane. The only thing new (in their eyes) will be the EMT conduit. It will run to the garage vs the north side of the house. Not a long run at all but they will notice new conduit. Heck, these assholes complained about existing conduit from my 14 year old system, had to explain to them that it had been there for over a decade.
Dirty deeds, done dirt cheep, dirty deeds, done dirt cheep... I do flyouts and can solve your HOA problem ;)

Fire code will be your main issue. RSD for the panels. Battery, if UL 9540 is required.
RSD requirements are an absolute racket. Been reading about this crap and its bumming me out. There seem to be a lot of people on youtube, and in these forums just ignoring the RSD code requirements with roof installs and TBH I can’t blame them. Talk about a solution in search of a problem.

Last edited:
Im wondering what I will need to provide the building permit folks since the panels are already mounted.
I had a somwhat similar situation in that my existing system was permitted three years earlier and noted in the plans for the new inverter. Interpretations vary for each jurisdiction but the only thing the inspector might be concerned about is that DC cables need to be in conduit whereas your old Enphase micros being AC could have been Romex.

honetly I would not have said jack nor shit to anyone... Nosy Neighbor AKA limp wristed male (we think) karen lookalike..."what you doing on your roof?" "repairing my permitted solar install... got a bad doodad or two...have a nice day tranny Karen"

then when tranny James asks why you are working on wireing... "gotta replace some wires a mouse chewed through them"

and that would have been the end of that BS... but then i refuse to buy into an HOA.

We literally have a paid, full time, professional Karen that drives around the neighborhood and reports every damn thing imaginable. Our HOA dues pay for this “service”. It’s insane. There was no conceivable way I could alter either system without getting a talking to and possibly fines from this HOA. It wasn’t always like this here, it used to be our fellow neighbors throwing each other under the bus… still kinda is but now we have a full time, official Karen.

We literally have a paid, full time, professional Karen that drives around the neighborhood and reports every damn thing imaginable. Our HOA dues pay for this “service”. It’s insane. There was no conceivable way I could alter either system without getting a talking to and possibly fines from this HOA. It wasn’t always like this here, it used to be our fellow neighbors throwing each other under the bus… still kinda is but now we have a full time, official Karen.
refer to my first post in this thread... I do fly outs. heck I will even take care of Karen's other half, (at a discount of course) ;) to ensure that the DNA pool is cleansed... good business is where you find it, and the only way to survive in today's business environment is to DIVERSIFY!

RSD requirements are an absolute racket. Been reading about this crap and its bumming me out. There seem to be a lot of people on youtube, and in these forums just ignoring the RSD code requirements with roof installs and TBH I can’t blame them. Talk about a solution in search of a problem.
If your house catches on fire, and there is no RSD for the solar, don't be surprised if the firefighters just let the house burn. Sure they can pull your meter, but they don't know if your house (or criticsl load panel) can island. If so, water and electricity doesn't mix well.

If your house catches on fire, and there is no RSD for the solar, don't be surprised if the firefighters just let the house burn. Sure they can pull your meter, but they don't know if your house (or criticsl load panel) can island. If so, water and electricity doesn't mix well.
I will understand if they don’t want to put it out but they would really, really have to be grabbing at exposed conductors with both mf hands and a death wish to even have the slightest chance of electrocution. I respect firefighters 100%, so I get the emphasis on safety, but RSD for residential is 100% retarded. It just is. They don’t even bother with it in other countries, and please let me know if any firefighters have ever even been injured due to electrocution from residential PV system.

Back