diy solar

diy solar

Cost of grid tied vs off grid?

solarHandyman

Hi friends, setting aside the cost of batteries, having checked the prices of friends gird tied system vs my DIY system, I feel like hiring solar installers is at least double the price for the same amount of solar generation and hardware. Has anyone gone through the process of being grid tied, including having a net metering agreement, for their own DIY system? What additional costs did you accrue that were unexpected? Did you have to hire an electrician, or were you allowed to pull your own electric permit?

I have done it more than once ;) actually 3 different homes in the last 20 years.

Solar is no different than any other trade, if you do turn-key, one just write a check and it is done. That covers much more than material costs and a rule of thumb is 2X-3X material costs for a business to stay in business working for clients.

If your going to do a DYI permitted system, you have the parts costs, labor is zero but engineering can have costs as permit packages require PE ( professional engineer ) to validate the system design being submitted meets all codes which are both electrical and mechanical.

Nothing was unexpected in my case, it requires substantial reading, learning codes, finding vendors for the parts and the PE service ( GreenLancer is whom I last used ) to provide content for the permit package.

Forums such as this has just about all the answers one would should need or pointers where to go.

In the end, you either can earn a wage which is then traded to another company ( money ) or your labor is used on your project at no compensation for doing what they would do, probably 95% just write the check as they make more in wages for the hours, this is true for just about all trades, solar is not special in anyway in this regard.

If you want power when the grid is down go grid assist with a critical loads panel, less hoops to jump through and the sell back value is not what it was you are better off using it

If you want power when the grid is down go grid assist with a critical loads panel, less hoops to jump through and the sell back value is not what it was you are better off using it

Doing a ESS for your first permitted solar system is a whole nother level of learning and can be a real cluster **** learning all about low vs high voltage systems , codes and compatibility that just don't exist with pure grid tie. Sure it can be done, but go in eyes WIDE open.

The details are going to very based on your locality, but in most of the US there is no problem DIYing your own system at your own home. Grid tied or off grid are going to be similar, you will likely need to pull permits, and get inspections, and follow zoning, building and electrical codes. For grid tied you will need to also work with the local electrical utility as well. You may need to pay professionals for assistance in completing plans for permitting, including possibly engineers if you project or locality requires it. Also you may need to hire a electrician or other professionals if there are certian jobs you aren't able to yourself.

And therefore a "batteries optional" inverter can let you kick the can down the road, maybe never confront it (on the record.)

Some of these are grid-interactive, allow export or zero export.

It is much easier to get the full benefit of PV by blending its power with grid AC, rather than trying to take just some loads offgrid.

Depending on your jurisdiction, DIY GT PV can be straightforward.

I'm eyeing the new Sunny Boy Smart Energy for that application. Batteries are optional (but not cheap). Still waiting to learn the off-grid/backup details.

Others like SolArk available today do what is wanted.

Easier to add a sub-panel after inverter than to insert a larger inverter between inverter and main panel, unless they are already split and have breaker at meter.

Recently, 7.7kW GT PV inverters were available for about $1800.
Don't think that triples the price of a system.

Off-grid implies batteries and inverter able to start motors. I think that's the one triple the price.

Of course, dirt cheap stuff is available without so much as UL listing.
Is the question which has cheapest bottom of the barrel hardware available? Or comparing apples to apples regarding quality?

Separate issue, turn-key GT PV system is triple the price of parts, ergo DIY.

For me the hybrid method worked well. But I don't have all of the regulations some people in some states have.

I doubt I would fool with solar in California for instance in any kind of grid attached fashion. Just wouldn't be worth the hassle. If I was going to do solar there it would be strictly off the grid.

Back