diy solar

diy solar

crimp vs solder in miliohm

conquistador

Today I ran a test crimp vs solder.
I used 4mm² copper which translates to 10AWG and cheap brass lugs. The cheap crimping tool is from Aliexpress.

To measure the resistance, I feed 1A through the wire via a bench power supply, limited at 1A. Then I measure in the 200mV setting on the Multimeter. This translates to 1mV= 1miliohm, so basically the Voltmeter shows in miliohm in the 200mV setting.
Here are the results:

crimped only in the 4-6mm² slot of the tool:
1.0 and 0.8 mOhm

crimped in the 4-6mm² slot and then in the 2.5mm² slot
1.7 and 3 mOhm !!

These ones i re-crimped in the 4-6mm² slot and got
0.7 and 0.8 mOhm after recrimp

After measuring, I soldered all of them with a 100W iron and 40/60 tin, rosin flux:
IMG_20220101_183003.jpgIMG_20220101_182931.jpg
the recrimped: 0.5 and 0.6 mOhm
the crimped in the 4-6mm² slot and soldered: 0.5 and 0.5 mOhm

While I acknowledge that my tool and my lugs are crap, soldering after crimping seems to improve resistance significantly.

interesting, I would love to see this experiment done with larger wire size like 2/0

Last edited:
If you actually did a proper crimp, no solder would penetrate the crimp since it does a cold weld of the joint. Basically, your test proves that you need to buy a better crimping tool.

If you actually did a proper crimp, no solder would penetrate the crimp since it does a cold weld of the joint. Basically, your test proves that you need to buy a better crimping tool.
Is it possible that the solder covered for a bad crimp? I don't know, just throwing that out.
Even if I love my Aliexpress crimping tools, I have to agree with you guys here. Per definition, the crimping is something like wire wrap in the old days, which should leave a gas tight connection. Apparently it is not in my case.
Are there any good crimping tools out there for small lugs like the ones in the pictures?

You didn't show how that test was made. There can be a lot of error even in a four wire connection. I have one of these, a HYPATIA 309 which can test and automatically calculate the ohms at any current. At over 100A max HYPATIA_309.jpgit will melt alligator clips.

Even if I love my Aliexpress crimping tools, I have to agree with you guys here. Per definition, the crimping is something like wire wrap in the old days, which should leave a gas tight connection. Apparently it is not in my case.
Are there any good crimping tools out there for small lugs like the ones in the pictures?
I bought mine trough Rod Collins on the Marine How To site. Unfortuantely Rod had a stroke so his store is down. For 22AWG through 10AWG, they are the best crimpers out there and that's saying something since I am an EE in a production environment.

This is what they looked like:

They also aren't cheap...around $140

This is them also but for much more:

Rod's how to site is still up. This is the best I have ever seen about crimping.

I use these for small terminals.

Iwiss 3220M

Attachments

• 6B9CE2E1-F068-4A16-9B98-CBF31113179C.jpeg
    6B9CE2E1-F068-4A16-9B98-CBF31113179C.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 5
Back