diy solar

diy solar

Crimping cable creates 'wings', a better/proper technique?

norcom

First time crimping using a 12 ton crimping tool and these types of lugs. Tested converting the 6AWG cable that comes with the EG4 batteries and M6 lugs to ones that use M10 for the bus bar I plan to use in the future. (I also plan to use larger wire gauge)

On the first attempt the lug developed "wings". On the second attempt I started with a larger crimping die to attempt to create the shape and then went to the 6AWG die. The wings happened again but slightly smaller. I rotated the lug and compressed the wings down.

The final results aren't pretty but I can't pull it out by hand as hard as I try. I tried to fix the first attempt by compressing the wings but some sharp edges developed, so I filed them down.

Questions:
Is there a proper/better way to do this?
Am I just using wrong lugs with a wrong crimping tool? (SELTREM lugs, AMZCNC 12 ton crimping tool)
Is a single crimp enough or do I need to make sure the whole thing is crimped as much as possible?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Attachments

• crimping_wings.png
    crimping_wings.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 64
  • finalresult.png
    finalresult.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
The problem with these cheap hydraulic crimpers is the dies are not designed for AWG but for mm^2. So the die is either a bit big or small. Sometimes you get lucky and the die is close enough. What you are experiencing is when you use the next smaller die than is called for (or they have deliberately labeled the smaller die as the correct one, because the next larger one won't actually crimp enough to do the job).

What has worked for me:

• Use the appropriate die, which will be a bit big
  • wrap the lug and cable with one or two wraps of blue painters tape (or a 3rd wrap if needed, will take some experimenting)
  • Crimp the lug
  • Test the crimp by pulling hard and steady on the cable, try to separate the lug from the cable
  • If you're still in doubt, then use a hacksaw or dremel to cut open the crimp and confirm it's a true cold weld (looks like solid metal instead of individual strands)
The only real downside to this method is it can be a bit tedious to remove the painter's tape from the crimp as it gets really pressed on. Not impossible, it just tears off in little bits.

If you have a LOT of crimps to do, then pony up the money for the $176 Temco one, which has true AWG-sized dies.

The problem with these cheap hydraulic crimpers is the dies are not designed for AWG but for mm^2. So the die is either a bit big or small. Sometimes you get lucky and the die is close enough. What you are experiencing is when you use the next smaller die than is called for (or they have deliberately labeled the smaller die as the correct one, because the next larger one won't actually crimp enough to do the job).

What has worked for me:

• wrap the lug and cable with one or two wraps of blue painters tape (or a 3rd wrap if needed, will take some experimenting)
  • Crimp the lug
  • Test the crimp by pulling hard and steady on the cable, try to separate the lug from the cable
  • If you're still in doubt, then use a hacksaw or dremel to cut open the crimp and confirm it's a true cold weld (looks like solid metal instead of individual strands)
The only real downside to this method is it can be a bit tedious to remove the painter's tape from the crimp as it gets really pressed on. Not impossible, it just tears off in little bits.

If you have a LOT of crimps to do, then pony up the money for the $176 Temco one, which has true AWG-sized dies.

Thanks! I'll give the tape idea a try and see what happens.

Even with the Temco one it may take some experimentation because all lugs are not created equal. You can have two same gauge lugs that requires two different dies because one might be heavier duty/thicker than the other. The Temco kit has + sizes for that case such as 2/0+ to handle that. Otherwise if you don't have that you'll need to use a size larger like 3/0 to get the lug to crimp slightly then step down to the 2/0 die and crimp again. That will help prevent creating wings.

What has worked for me:

• Crimp the lug

I have the Temco and it will create wings also. Doesn't matter if + sizes are used.

The way to fix it is to crimp lighter, then rotate the lug so the die halves can compress the wings.

Had exactly the same problem. You can buy multiple lugs and some are made from thicker material than others.
I bought thicker lugs and now crimps are perfect.

Can the tape be left on? Then, put a heat shrink over it?

Red Bull should give you wings, not chinese wire crimps

I had exact problem happen with the cheap crimps. Wrong size wire or die. I ended up using the larger die and it did seem tight enough. But next time I plan to shave a hair off the larger die so it will crimp farther down and resolve any potential problem of connection being loose. I guess enlarging the smaller die would get the same results too.

I have the Temco and it will create wings also. Doesn't matter if + sizes are used.

The way to fix it is to crimp lighter, then rotate the lug so the die halves can compress the wings.

I never get the wings with the Temco as long as I use the Temco or marine grade power lugs or other lugs with the proper shell thickness.

Using the cheaper ones off amazon is just a roll of the dice and will result in wings 1/2 or more of the time.

I never get the wings with the Temco as long as I use the Temco or marine grade power lugs or other lugs with the proper shell thickness.

Using the cheaper ones off amazon is just a roll of the dice and will result in wings 1/2 or more of the time.
You will always get a small little squeeze out where the dies meet, doesn't matter the lug. I don't like the looks of it so I just rotate the lug and run the crimper closed again.

I've used Temco, Selterm, just about lug brand out there.

Seconding (thirding:)) what’s been said.

I use a high quality Greenlee crimper. Used they are $300.

This makes great crimps, but will leave wings when using very heavy duty lugs, like those from CEAutoelectric.com

I get wings with the slightly thinner walled lugs from PolarWire too.

Super quality crimper as well as best quality lugs.

I turn the crimped lug 90 degrees in the crimper and crimp the wings down.

Apparently there exists lugs that fit the Greenlee crimper perfectly…I just haven’t found them yet.

Back