diy solar

diy solar

Dakota batteries and Victron settings question

xavpil

Hi all.
I am wondering how people set up the preferences in the MPPT and BMV712 as far as
Charged voltage
Absorption voltage
Float
I have 2 Dakota 200Ah 12v

Thx all!

Last edited:
Hi all.
I am wondering how people set up the preferences in the MPPT and BMV712 as far as
Charged voltage
Absorption voltage
Float

Thx all!

Obtain the “Charge Profile” or Specs from the Battery Manufacturer & then program the settings for your specific battery & setup.

Hi all.
Charged voltage
Absorption voltage
Float

Thx all!
From Will's link on preferred battery chargers page, Victron. The link goes to The CurrentConnected page for setting correct Lifepo4 settings on Victron 12v ip67 charger. These are what I use and set into my Victron for 12v lifepo4 battery charging:

LiFePO4 Parameters​

Victron’s Li-Ion profile is NOT sufficient for non-Victron LiFePO4 batteries. Enter configuration and turn on “ADVANCED” switch, then select “Custom” charge preset. Then click “Advanced Battery Settings”.

The battery preset should be set to “User Defined”. Turn on “Expert Mode” switch.

Charge Voltage Settings:
Absorption Voltage: 14.6v
Float Voltage: 13.8v
Storage Voltage: 13.6v
Recondition Voltage: Disabled
BatterySafe: Disabled

Voltage Compensation:
Temperature Compensation: Disabled

Bulk:
Bulk Time Limit: 24 Hours
Re-bulk Current: Enabled, set to full output current of charger, typically 25A

Absorption:
Absorption Duration: Fixed
Absorption Time: 1 Hr
Repeated Absorption: Every 7 days

Recondition:
Recondition Stop Mode: Fixed time
Recondition Duration: 15M (This is the minimum allowed setting. It is already disabled in charge voltage settings, but set to this as a safety precaution)

Keep in mind that Dakota changes the upper shutdown limit on their marine batteries from 14.8v to 15.8v and that when charging with an alternator from an outboard motor or any boat motor without a smart alternator you will need the voltage regulated before the battery.

Dakota sells a Victron dc/dc unit to get the voltage regulated for the lithium batteries. It depends on whether your motor is an outboard or an inboard. Balmar makes a regulator for it too. You have to control that voltage spike that occurs when the lithium reaches full charge.

Dakota sells a Victron dc/dc unit to get the voltage regulated for the lithium batteries. It depends on whether your motor is an outboard or an inboard. Balmar makes a regulator for it too. You have to control that voltage spike that occurs when the lithium reaches full charge.
oh ok. I do have a DC to DC but my electrician lost the "switch", the green insert H/L switch ....

oh ok. I do have a DC to DC but my electrician lost the "switch", the green insert H/L switch ....
It has to be one that you can set the parameters for the lithium battery and it's nice if you can start it from an ignition on signal so that it doesn't waste energy idling. It's not hard to do if you have an inboard motor. You either change to a smart alternator or add the Victron or Balmar regulator. I have yet to find a way to do it with an outboard motor because the alternator has an internal regulator and is harder to tap for the device. What they have been doing is using an agm battery for the starter battery and then adding the Victron to that to charge the lithium house battery. Dakota just raises the shutdown voltage but that does nothing to help the outboard motor alternator. If the diodes aren't high enough voltage, it burns them out. I have heard that some outboard motor manufactures are now using 400v diodes to keep from burning out.

Back