diy solar

diy solar

DALY BMS %$&@

Offgriding

Hi all,
This is my first post on the forum.
Thanks for having me!
Unfortunately I'm not a happy camper ATM.
I purchased a Daly 150 amp 4s bluetooth BMS in 2021 from aliexpress and just getting around to connecting it now.
Probably one of the most frustrating exercises I've ever undertaken!
I'm using 4 x winston 100 ah Life cells.
The BMS connects to the app fine when a higher than pack voltage charge is applied. The moment I go to connect to inverter and discharge I get nothing.
I've done a lot of searching here, on the Tube and googling but can't seem to get it to work.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
😊

Could you elaborate or further explain what you mean by "I get nothing". The BMS shuts off or its just that current doesn't flow to the inverter but the BMS stays connected to Bluetooth and you can see the set up menu, batt voltage and cell voltage ETC.
Any error codes, faults, warnings?

Yes, sorry and thanks for your reply.
The BMS disconnects from the app, the DL- number is still listed but won't connect.

The voltage at P- seems to fluctuate between 2-9 volts.
Cell voltages around 3.45.
Pack voltage 13.75.
No error codes, faults or warnings that I'm aware of.

If the inverter was pulling too much current and the BMS shut off due to Over Current Protection one would expect a warning code. If there are none, it sounds more like a bad BMS.

I can't even get sufficient voltage to P- for the inverter to start or to power a small dc load.

The BMS connects to the app fine when a higher than pack voltage charge is applied.
This is leading me to believe the battery is dead or the BMS is receiving no current from the battery. Checking battery voltage at the battery terminals will confirm a dead battery.

When I set my BMS up on my big battery pack, I mis wired it and my BMS was reading completely off. Recommend double checking the wiring. Ended up I had the first BMS lead disconnected. Quite embarrassing. This is the thread of my bad setup if it helps. I did not try to run the inverter, but if I had the BMS would have tripped giving me a lower voltage.

Also double check the individual cell voltages and compare to a multimeter to BMS data.

Hi
The battery is definitely ok, as mentioned above the pack voltage is 13.75v.

Wiring checked and rechecked.

When the bms was connected and charging, voltages and current we're correct.

The issue appears when trying to discharge the battery. The app won't connect and voltage is between 2-9 volts at P-

I will look at your thread. Thanks

The biggest problem with Daly, and particularly from Aliexpress, is the high percentage of counterfeit products. I’m not saying you have a cheap knockoff, but many have used Daly products without incident.

The only BMS I’ve used is the Overkill offering of the JBD product and they have been rock solid.

Are you pre charging the inverter right before you connect? If not the bms might be going to over current protection. Do you see a fault alarm in the app? Do you have the discharge mos switched on?

The biggest problem with Daly, and particularly from Aliexpress, is the high percentage of counterfeit products. I’m not saying you have a cheap knockoff, but many have used Daly products without incident.

The only BMS I’ve used is the Overkill offering of the JBD product and they have been rock solid.
Totally agree!
I have 2 x JBD units. 1 58v on an ebike and another 12v on portable battery power station.

I also have batrium on my 48v system which I'll be recommissioning soon.

I've never had issues with bms before this.
Has turned me off Daly that's for sure.

I purchased it from the daly store on aliexpress.
They have been communicating with me as I was going to upgrade the firmware, given I purchased it in 2021.
Can't even get it to work now. Seems like a waste of money at this point.
I should have just got another jbd but the red shiny case of daly sucked me in, that and the fact I do like to test different products.

Think I'll get another JBD or try a JK
Thanks

Are you pre charging the inverter right before you connect? If not the bms might be going to over current protection. Do you see a fault alarm in the app? Do you have the discharge mos switched on?
Hi
Yes I am pre- charging the inverter.
No fault alarm, no nothing.

I might try reconnecting the charger to see if it will connect to app and check discharge mos. I thought I checked it but won't hurt to double check.
Thanks

I just connected the charging and bms connects to app straight away.
It looks like discharge switch is on

Attachments

• 20240420_153914.jpg
    20240420_153914.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240420_153509.jpg
    20240420_153509.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240420_153949.jpg
    20240420_153949.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 13
Hi guys
I watched the above vid which describes not receiving 3.3 volts across green and black wires of usb plug.
Mine has voltage here but none across the other two wires, red and white.
Would you think the fix described in the video could work but with the white instead of green.
When I test red and black, pins 1 & 6, I get 3.3v
Hope this makes sense

Pics below

Attachments

• 17136872426517305445084228652597.jpg
    17136872426517305445084228652597.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 1713687282269531949993971078642.jpg
    1713687282269531949993971078642.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 5
Quick update.
The app connection issue seems ok now after shorting two pins as described in another thread. Pic below
The discharging issue remains. I'm starting to believe this bms is a dud.
Any further suggestions very welcome. Thanks
1713701913921.png

I foresee in your future, a Daly doorstop and JK bms install.
Can’t say you didn’t try.

Thanks everyone for all your replies and advice here.

Skypower, you read my future correctly. I have a jk inbound. 🤣

If anything changes and I get this red piece of crap working I'll be sure to let you all know ✌🏼

LOL, yeah mine came in a couple of weeks ago. Wait a month and forgot to order a bag 6AWG 1/4(6mm) lugs. My window to work on it is passed for a while. Have 4 JK’s in use, this is just because I have spare cells that need a job. Using flat smooth flange nuts instead of conical/serrated for jam and lug. The bms is threaded, I just wanted a bit more.

IMG_1380.jpegIMG_1378.jpeg
IMG_1382.jpeg

Thanks for the photos.
I'm looking forward to testing the jk.
Do you use the switch to activate them?

Back