diy solar

diy solar

DC-Solar trailer: ponzi scheme. The backgound story

fromport

Solar Addict
I found this story about the dc-solar trailers that some of us here have acquired.
I have one.

Some interesting new info.

I do question the one fact where the IRS valued the product at only $13,000.
When I did the calculations I thought it would come about to $30,000 to build.

Last edited:
Ahh I always thought this would make a great documentary. Right up there with FTX collapse.

DC Solar folding hit the NASCAR community pretty hard too, lots and lots of sponsorship money disappeared. They used a lot of tracks parking lots for warehousing those trailers.

The trailers are still around here on craigslist, still asking $15k+

Funny that the most valuable thing on them is the ones with a Kubota Lowboy of course.
There's an auction right now ends today in MI in 2 hours

They were such a great idea on paper too, just not in practice. If it weren't for the huge up-front costs it would be a great hobbyist project or small business opportunity that could be run with.

I do question the one fact where the IRS valued the product at only $13,000.
When I did the calculations I thought it would come about to $30,000 to build.

Two Sunny Island and two GNB batteries at MSRP would blow through $13k.
(Don't know the prices they were able to negotiate).

Unfortunately, similar things have extended into the Ukraine war as we speak.

I was approached about similar projects and the people involved were not even aware that Li batteries might be a winter problem, nor that overcast would affect solar output.

God I wish I had gotten in on those trailer sales. Was about a year too late on them. I bought two trailer takeoff Sunny Islands, but I didn’t get a crazy deal.

Unbelievable prices, at least for now. $3k to $8k for complete trailer Kubota included, closing in 20 minutes.
At the low end you're getting Sunny Island near what I paid, plus everything else for free.

Unbelievable prices, at least for now. $3k to $8k for complete trailer Kubota included, closing in 20 minutes.
At the low end you're getting Sunny Island near what I paid, plus everything else for free.
I'm bummed. I let my passport lapse, so I'm ouy of luck.

Sold! $6300 to $9000 for the page I had open.

Batteries are toast. 2400W of PV panels worth $1200. Midnight SCC. 2x SI 6048US. Enclosure and 125A Homeline panel. Good trailer, and some people have use for the lights.
Kubota 11kW generator!

The Sunny Islands have been on eBay for as low as $2500 lately. Less weight and bulk to just order them.
Not sure what the generators are worth, but they're nearly brand new so great deal for someone who wants those and the inverters.

Sold! $6300 to $9000 for the page I had open.

Batteries are toast. 2400W of PV panels worth $1200. Midnight SCC. 2x SI 6048US. Enclosure and 125A Homeline panel. Good trailer, and some people have use for the lights.
Kubota 11kW generator!

The Sunny Islands have been on eBay for as low as $2500 lately. Less weight and bulk to just order them.
Not sure what the generators are worth, but they're nearly brand new so great deal for someone who wants those and the inverters.
Don't forget the 15% auction cost on top of the highest bid

I bought the entire rack system with no panels from one. Then placed it on a $300 used boat trailer. With a few modifications for larger panels (8-3.5'x7' bifacials) , I have an awesome 3.2kw/ portable array with full adjustability.

I bought the entire rack system with no panels from one. Then placed it on a $300 used boat trailer. With a few modifications for larger panels (8-3.5'x7' bifacials) , I have an awesome 3.2kw/ portable array with full adjustability.
What I would like to improve the most is to make the posts on one side of the trailer higher so you don't have as much shading as in the original.
This is particular the case in the winter.
Like this person has done:

dc trailer mod.jpg

Last edited:
What I would like to improve the most is to make the posts on one side of the trailer higher so you don't have as much shading as in the original.
This is particular the case in the winter.
Like this person has done:

View attachment 148705
Agreed... I'm totally fine for shadowing for now & likely 10 months of the year. We will see about this winter...I may have to tilt the whole trailer or raise one side.

Last edited:
Back