diy solar

diy solar

Development: cobalt free batteries

fromport

Solar Addict
A team including University of Tokyo researchers has presented a viable alternative to cobalt metal that it says can outperform current lithium-ion battery (LIB) chemistry.

I will only believe it when they are available and Will has tested one.
But it is still nice to see there are developments going on.

Same with me. There always seems to be a new battery tech but I never see them for sale :)

In February 2023, JAC announced they were the first automaker to put the lithium-free sodium-ion battery on an electric vehicle. That EV was a Sehol E10X hatchback, and the Na+ battery had the following specifications:

25 kWh capacity
120 Wh/kg energy density (single cell 140 Wh/kg)
3C to 4C charging (10% – 80% in 20 minutes)
252 km range for E10X
HiNa NaCR32140 cell

This is not a on paper only product it seems.
Wonder about longevity etc

I'll believe any new battery tech when I see it. Since I was a kid, the news constantly bombards the tech world with "zomg new battery will hold 500x the energy storage for pennies!" and virtually none of it ever materializes.

If I could bet against experimental battery tech, I'd be a billionaire.

That said, this seems like something more reasonable/without extraordinary claims as to what it can do.

Correct- and I think we're going to continue to see a shift towards LFP in more and more applications, with exceptions being for very speciality applications where you really need high energy densities (i.e. smartphones).

Back