diy solar

diy solar

Did I just got scammed by a forum member??

Frank in Thailand

making mistakes so you don't have to...
As some of you might know I needed help to buy epoxy stuff from USA, as it's unobtainable in Thailand.

One forum member, @KauaiMolokai offered assistance, and I send him an email
John wrote:
"Hi Frank,

A lot of people have helped me a lot so I'm happy to do some stuff in return.
I can send things by USPS (US mail) or UPS or Fedex
."

After some more friendly exchange I bought for € 42.68 one $50 USA Amazon card, and purchased:

Screenshot_20210518_125344.jpg

Loctite was most expensive with $22.49,
The other 2 $20.98 incl. Shipping.

Screenshot_20210518_125809_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping_edit_2666382609031160.jpg

So far all went OK, the package that arrived the 4th, communication was OK.

The suddenly on the 6th:
"Hi Frank,

You're very welcome. I may have a delay of a few days shipping to you because I'm helping an old friend who is dealing with ugly back surgery. I'll let you know."

Naturally I wished him and his friend best health and fast recovery.

Then 12 may:
"Sorry about the delay in my reply.

My friend is in a life changing, potentially life threatening situation. Definitely tough."

Again I wished them the best, and asked for a timeframe update, and if we can talk alternatives (neighbors sending out or cancel / return the Amazon ordere and start over or...)

Sadly no reply for days.
I noticed he is online on the forum, and send in forum message, and asking for an update.

As I didn't hear anything, things start smelling fishy.

And besides...
Those who have read the thread, it's important I do receive "fast" not a week or more delay for sending to Thailand!!

Anyways...
John didn't appreciate that.
And wrote:

"Frank,

We all need help, and we all need to chill out. I offered to help you. And I will, to the best of my ability. This ability - of mine and of everyone's - is sometimes unexpectedly limited. There is no point at this time of me explaining my life to you, or you explaining your life to me. Neither of us are helped by extended emails. The only thing I can do is send your items, as I said I would, once I get to my place. You'll hear from me then, and not again before then. What you decide to do until then is up to you. No-one likes unknowns, but sometimes unknowns are all we are presented with.
"

Right.... That was a few days ago.
So absolutely NO indication when John will be able and willing to send out the package, and doesn't seem to be much bothered about the troubles he puts me in!

I've tried yesterday to call on normal California time (09.30) (deep in the night Thailand) answering machine.....

And obviously (?)... He isn't home:)

To me it's start smelling fishy.
John doesn't want to give any timeframe, except being philosophical, and doesn't want to work towards a workable solution together.

Even if his friend is terminal sick, leaving a home unexpected and not coming back for 12 days is (atleast for the Netherlands) strange.
Normal things like plants, animals, post, and regular appointments all need their attention.
Disappearing for 12 days with absolutely no indication when to return is, mildly speaking, strange.

What do you guys think?

Did I get scammed?

I'm supposed to transfer $30 for postage fees, if John ever fiends his way back home. Right now this only feels like dumping more in a big large hole, as John doesn't seem reliable, and would increase my loss to $80...

For the JB-weld, I ordered from China for $25,- for a small tube.
Not even the extra strong marine variant. 4.5x more expensive, but will arrive.

Compared to the $50 lost, it's a bargain.

The other 2 products are totally unobtainium....

How do people in the USA deal with this kind of problems?
In Netherlands and Thailand I would go to the police.
For USA the FBI for postal fraud?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you!!

Last edited by a moderator:
yes Frank, something smells funny to this situation.

so it starts as "pal has back surgery" then the guy falls off the face of the planet and is irritated you are concerned to get your stuff?
He knows your family is totally off grid so without the stuff you are down in battery power ... so worst case scenario scammer, best case scenario someone being selfish not keeping their responsibilities.
I know if I were in that alleged situation, 'good friend in hospital now for several several days' supposedly,
I'd have a spouse, or friend, or bartender, or someone help out the chap living in a 3rd world country whom I volunteered to help out and not just sit on his stuff.
At the worst scam,
at the best, bad behavior

The answering machine did he at least sound like a Californian?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are convenience shipping places like Mail boxes eetc everywhere in california, the state is literally the 6th largest economy in the world
lots of shipping conveniences. If this guy is real i sure hope he will at least upgrade your shipping at this point; it's the human thing to do

Weather is "bad behaviour" and not taking responsibility for the help he offered, or a scam, end result is the same....

Not my stuf!!

I don't think John started the help from scam point of view.
And I think his friend does need his help right now.

Leaving me hanging like this and starting philosophical about life can be uncertain...
That doesn't feel good.

If it was me or any one i know they''d be like "oh man I'm really sorry this sux. situation is this xyz I'm afraid you better order somewhere else.
So you want me to try to return it for you when i get home?

im so sorry dude
etc.

and then even...
"hey I'll ask my pals totowing by
and check for the package"

He surely has friends there or a gf.
or somethng easily could say 'hey there's this guy without power in thailand i promised to help
can you swing by the house and xyz

Not hard and he looks like a heroa asking such a favor.

nada.

Sorry for your troubles. I have no idea if it is a scam or just a guy really dealing with something. I do know a number of people, who faced with imminent death of a friend or family member have not been able to cope or handle seemingly simple things. So hopefully soon you will get an apology and your items.

Not free, but a future solution for purchases from the US. Google "international package forwarding" There are many companies that will give you a US shipping address, and then forward anything received to that address anywhere in the world. It is mostly used by Expats, and long term travelers. They also have experience with customs issues. Not sure what Thailand is like, but getting a critical package to me when I was in Indonesia was quite challenging and expensive (dealing with customs).

$50 isn’t a huge amount to get scammed, at some point you may just want to write it off. This is an important topic, and I’d like to learn more as well. People do need to be aware that caveat emptor applies in many transactions here.

You do want to do enough to make sure someone else is not victimized.

With the original individual I’d recommend requesting the money back, don’t waste any time with anything besides that in your communication.

I would verify that this is also a real address and person. Filing a report with the local police is good, as is the us postal service. I imagine an embassy or consular office might also be helpful. Oceanside is close to a military base so odds that this individual is, or was, in service are significant. Base commanders will definitely do something if that is the

Send a copy of the police report to the forum administrator here.

For what it is worth. If a person offers to help, then help. "If" the items arrived it's not that hard to put them in a box and forward them on even if a friend has health issues. Muilti tasking isn't that hard to do.

"If" this was a $50 scam what a xxxxxxx.

Last edited:
I'm in agreement with Sojourner 1. It's not that difficult to get a new label for the boxes he's received and odds are really high that the hospital even has a drop box for the packages. Granted, having someone close with severe medical emergencies is a big deal, but inside the 12 days, there's time to, at the very least, communicate. We all have phones these days where we do the majority of our transactions. What else is there to do in a hospital room you're visiting than spending time on the phone?

If you still need help, send me a message. I drive past the shipping places daily.

I don’t like the idea of airing the address. There’s a scam around here where someone finds an empty house , like owner away for the season and orders stuff delivered to the house and picks it up from the front porch.

I lived overseas for 16 years, and found getting some stuff difficult also. I was on military bases, and they had most things, but some stuff still could not be delivered to APO addressses.

This is some serious character assassination for a matter of $50. Posting full name, address, and phone number is rather extreme. The dude said he's going through troubles and will get to your stuff as soon as he can. Now sure, maybe he's dragging his feet, but he is doing you a favor, not employed by you. I think it's a pretty poor move for you to put him on blast like this.

I recommend you take down his name, address and telephone number, please. I will check Amazon and see about getting you what you need. Posting his information can get Will in legal trouble.

This is some serious character assassination for a matter of $50. Posting full name, address, and phone number is rather extreme. The dude said he's going through troubles and will get to your stuff as soon as he can. Now sure, maybe he's dragging his feet, but he is doing you a favor, not employed by you. I think it's a pretty poor move for you to put him on blast like this.

I send a PM to Will about this post.

If I send the man an email to ask what kind of options there are to solve this situation, and receive no reply.
But see him active on the forum.
In-forum message does get immediate "philosophical" reply, via email...

Then it's clear he doesn't want to work towards a solution.
What is "fine" but something he could have told a week ago.

Thing is, he leaves me hanging, without any timeframe or possible solutions to work it out.

For some of you $50 bucks is nothing.
Our handyman needs to work 3.5 days for this, and we pay him 35% above average.
450 THB, where average salary is 300-350. For "Jaw" with metal pins in his back, being not the fastest, usually had to accept 200 per day.

That's how much $50 bucks is.
And with it, he can support his wife and 2 teenage children for a week.

I'm lucky, for that matter, my disability benefit from Europe makes it possible to pay him that much,and would pay if we could afford it.

For me, $50 bucks is also a lot of money. Not in the balance as our Handyman, but I do feel it and need to adjust our spendings for the month if it's lost.

I'm not complaining, we live comfortably enough for Thai standard.

Saying it's "just 50 bucks" is something a person that doesn't have to care about 50 bucks more or less would say.
And probably just accepted the $320 transport costs.

You can't make that judgement call for me..

Correct, he isn't employed be. He offered help and I accepted it.
That is a whole lot higher moral obligation then when I would have paid for it, to do that, help.
Now make the mess a pile bigger by being unclear about when he will send and start philosophical when I push a little.

I don't know if the house is his, or anything.

I don't slander his name, just asking you guys what you feel about this situation.

If it's a scam of just being an @sshole, result is the same.

Both situation, some publicity doesn't hurt.

I think we all can agree this is not the way it should have went down.

Apparently John isn't available to look at any possibility to fix this.

That is a nasty way to offer help.

If 3 weeks extra without stable electricity is worth this hassle?
Be solidair and flip your main switch for 3 weeks.

He didn't make the situation but is the reason it does last several weeks longer.

How bad that is, with +44 degree Celsius?
Please join me here and tell how good you like without electricity.

I'm mostly pissed that John probably already knows over a week he isn't able to send it out for longer time, and he knows our situation.

Helping also is acknowledge when you aren't able to do so, provide clarity.

I could have ordered new a week ago.

Latest update.

I didn't receive any further response from John @KauaiMolokai, and don't really expect to.

Kudos for @Just John !!
He saved the day by ordering the products again for me and send to Thailand without payment.
Thank you once again John!
This really means a lot to me.

I'm struggling with the cell repairs for several months now, and the additional delays due @KauaiMolokai was really a mental (and financial) setback.

Thanks!!!

Latest update.

I didn't receive any further response from John @KauaiMolokai, and don't really expect to.

Kudos for @Just John !!
He saved the day by ordering the products again for me and send to Thailand without payment.
Thank you once again John!
This really means a lot to me.

I'm struggling with the cell repairs for several months now, and the additional delays due @KauaiMolokai was really a mental (and financial) setback.

Thanks!!!
Yes, not sure why, but one of the items won't arrive until next week (obviously not available directly from Amazon, third party seller).
The first arrived today, the second should be here tomorrow or the day after.

One of my fears its ending up in a place that were i cannot get any parts for my repairs or projects.. must be very difficult living in Thailand in that regard, but of course its compensated in other ways.

Good luck with the cells!

and at risk of pissing of the gods of the internet... Not everyone that you meet on the webz is as capable of meeting their obligations as (for instance) I am. (not that I am a paragon of virtue mind you.) some people get in over their head when trying to help, others are just full of BS. take it with a grain of salt and hope, and pray for this person to get their life right. I have and make it a habit to help when I can. fortunately I have never gotten myself into this position (from the side of the supposed helper). I have been on Fhorst's side several times though. fortunately I have decided to not trust folks with that I cannot afford (No disrespect intended to either party). Hopefully it all straightens itself out I am playing a 4K gambling game on LFP cells bought from China.. the guy that advised me... straight as an arrow.. seller? who knows till I have had them a couple of years. the end result is take everything with a grain of salt, think the best of each other and assume that they mean you well. sometimes it will cost yo money... just remember and let other know. thats the best result. Caveat: the Marine in me tells me to slit their throats... buts that not good for polite company... I digress. (to admins... its a Joke not a (insert weird prosthetic here) don't take it so hard :)

its sad when you are afraid to speak your mind.

and at risk of pissing of the gods of the internet... Not everyone that you meet on the webz is as capable of meeting their obligations as (for instance) I am. (not that I am a paragon of virtue mind you.) some people get in over their head when trying to help, others are just full of BS. take it with a grain of salt and hope, and pray for this person to get their life right. I have and make it a habit to help when I can. fortunately I have never gotten myself into this position (from the side of the supposed helper). I have been on Fhorst's side several times though. fortunately I have decided to not trust folks with that I cannot afford (No disrespect intended to either party). Hopefully it all straightens itself out I am playing a 4K gambling game on LFP cells bought from China.. the guy that advised me... straight as an arrow.. seller? who knows till I have had them a couple of years. the end result is take everything with a grain of salt, think the best of each other and assume that they mean you well. sometimes it will cost yo money... just remember and let other know. thats the best result. Caveat: the Marine in me tells me to slit their throats... buts that not good for polite company... I digress. (to admins... its a Joke not a (insert weird prosthetic here) don't take it so hard :)

its sad when you are afraid to speak your mind.
In a debate, speaking your mind nets results. On this forum, rules prevent rotten arguments. Sorry.

Back