diy solar

diy solar

Do you disconnect your solar charger when driving inductive loads off the inverter?

df00z

I am starting to test power tools, heaters with blowers, welding equipment on my inverter. It's on a 12v trailer. 300ah bat with a bms that allows 250a stable draw 600a I think inrush.

I was running a 1500w heater fan, some drills, etc. . I was drawing around 180a.

There's a mathematical formula for where current is drawn from - when you have two voltage sources, one being higher, more current gets drawn from the higher voltage source until voltage drops enough.

The Renogy bat charger was running at 14.2, my bat is at 13.3.

I saw the voltage drop on the renogy, bat light was flickering. Something clicked, hope it was a relay.

It's still fine and charging. But like, I don't think think the charger is designed to see inductive loads. Should I disconnect solar panels when drawing crazy amounts of current?

The Renogy 40A MPPT is realistically designed for a camper with maybe a cooler running, or a TV and laptop? Not saws, tig welders etc.

The inverter is an analog, pure sine wave, low frequency inverter with a large transformer that is sapping up the inrush ok. Yeah, I could find a soft start device for power tools to help further.

I am assuming the tiny renogy is using internally high frequency dc to dc converters, mosfets, etc. Totally fine for stable current draw like bat charging or even some electronics. Am I going to hurt it with power tools? Cutting off solar panels should be enough protection, right?

When you tie the charger, battery and inverter together there is only one voltage. The battery will provide whatever would be missing from the charger. The battery also buffers the current spikes.

Back