diy solar

diy solar

Is my sorta UPS problematic?

SWSL

So I've got my backup power system running. It's super simple; a 230 ah 12V pack, a 15 A Victron Charger and a 2000 watt budget (Voltworks/Giandel) PSW inverter. Oh and I've got a bit of solar panel (not enough) for when power goes out for a while. Which happens a few times a year.

And then with my local electricity I get pretty low voltage at my place here in Mexico, down to 106v when everything is on and the fridge kicks in. Dims the lights. Someday we will have closer transformer drops but for now, it's a location issue.

So, I'm seeing that my 2000 watt inverter is running the fridge just fine, not breaking a sweat and the fridge is seeing better quality power, as far as I can tell. The Victron charger has plenty of control so I can set bulk, absorb and also what they are calling "storage" V. Float is off. When in storage mode, it will return to bulk for 30 minutes every week. It also is designed to work as a power supply "automatically" as well as having a manual "no charge cycle" power supply option. Not sure if I can control the cycle factor beyond that so it will probably hold at the set voltage, re- bulk a bit every 7 days and then cycle anew if power goes off and the battery actually depletes.

I am now wondering if I can just keep the whole rig running the fridge so that it sees higher voltage than grid and then has battery backup when power is off. Charger feeds the battery and keeps current flowing as needed at the 13.3 V I have "storage" set at. Inverter feeds fridge. As noted, they are separate components.

I'm not sure how this is treating the battery but I probably have many cycles to spare as I'm rarely going to be running it down. Ten years of battery life would be plenty. Actually I suspect that the inverter will be the first to go from heat wear though it's not running hot. Drawing 3.5-10 amps through the BMS depending on run state.

I suspect the Victron charger can handle power surges and brownouts but perhaps lightning will be a concern.

Does anybody see an serious issue with this ? Should I adjust my charger/supply v up or down you think?

What you have made is a double conversion Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS). One issue is that the battery sees "ripple" as it is simultaneously charged and discharged. That is hard on the battery. Adding a capacitor can help smooth out what the battery sees. Unfortunately, that is the limit of my knowledge, so I can't tell you what size capacitor to use.

One issue is that the battery sees "ripple" as it is simultaneously charged and discharged. That is hard on the battery.

Oh. Had not heard/read of ripple. Not finding anything with search so hoping somebody can fill me in on what it is and what it does to the battery...

Edit: This question/discussion really pans out in another thread here.

Last edited:
Back