diy solar

diy solar

Eco-Worthy 6-String Parallel Combiner (on my travel trailer)

jbeletti

Solar Enthusiast
I used this combiner box on the roof of my RV to combine six 175 watt panels (in parallel within the box). This box is terminated with 6 pairs of MC4 connectors and 3 DC glands (+/-/lighting).

My friend (Michael Kidd) used this box on the roof of his motorhome with 18 panels (S-P strings) with good luck. So far (since June 2019) so good for me.

Eco-Worthy (6 ea MC4 +/- inputs, parallel, fused, lighting protected, breaker on output)

2019053007260774-IMG_2853.jpg

2019053007260774-IMG_2852.jpg

I can attest to their usability. We terminate all our panels on our camps with these.
We can easily add panels and adjust voltage configurations as reguired.as required.

The lightning strike device and breakers really work well.
Yes they come as you see them

I also had looked into these combiner boxes as they are very reasonably price - My question is, what are the two devices to the left of the main breaker and what are the black devices just after the panel ckt breakers?

If I'm reading your question correctly the black connections in the upper left are the internal terminal blocks for each breaker below them.

The two whitish devices to the left of the breaker are lightning protection.

Not sure what the two little black blocks are. I don't use them. I think they are Internal to the unit

1569429431412.png

Yeah, Trying to figure out what the things in the red box are.

I also had looked into these combiner boxes as they are very reasonably price - My question is, what are the two devices to the left of the main breaker and what are the black devices just after the panel ckt breakers?
The are surge protectors, a modicum of lightning protection etc. Needs a proper ground system for that to work effectively.

View attachment 332

Yeah, Trying to figure out what the things in the red box are.
They are just internal terminal blocks for the fuses as far as I know. . solar comes in the bottom, power goes through the white fuses to these terminal blocks then up to the buss bars above them.

I opened one of mine. They don't seem to do anything else other than that.

I wonder if they are connected to the lightning conditioners in behind the plates?
Or maybe they are in fact another buss bar?

What size are the wires to the solar charge controller? (6) 175 watt panels in parallel is going to be 50 amps or so for 12v panels. Depending on how far the solar charger is from the combiner box that could be an issue as far as voltage drop. I went with 2AWG cables on our (6) 180 watt panels. SCC about 20 feet from combiner box. Just food for thought. If the Solar charger is close, may not matter.

What size are the wires to the solar charge controller? (6) 175 watt panels in parallel is going to be 50 amps or so for 12v panels. Depending on how far the solar charger is from the combiner box that could be an issue as far as voltage drop. I went with 2AWG cables on our (6) 180 watt panels. SCC about 20 feet from combiner box. Just food for thought. If the Solar charger is close, may not matter.
I used 4 AWG from the combined output to the solar charger. I'd say the run is about 25 feet.

Im looking to use (4) Eco Worthy 4 string models (one for each array). I need to series parallel 2 sets of 8 panels in 4s2p, as needed by my midnight solar 250 CC's. How is that accomplished with these units? Thanks.

So I bought two of these.

The black things I was asking about are actually diodes. These come into play if you have different strings in different amounts of light.

A few notes I had (By the way there is an unboxing video uploading to YouTube right now) are as such

1. The door doesn't open to 90 degrees
2. The gasket for the door only exists on 3 sides
3. There isn't much of any room to run your wires off the main breaker and down to your SCC.

Very well done video. You went in such detail on the internals it actually got me thinkong of building one myself (lots of time on my hands). For the moat part, Amazon has the parts. The only one I'm having trouble finding are the diodes. But as my system does not get any shade do you think they would be needed? Also, not sure how the surge protect is wired. Is it just gerting a pos and neg then bounded to ground? So far its about $50 in parts for a 4 string setup.

Back