diy solar

diy solar

Ecoflow Delta 2 won’t run electric blanket

Dymailbox

I just picked up a new Sunbeam electric blanket to use on a camping trip. It’s works fine plugged into municipal power but won’t run on the Ecoflow Delta 2.

It draws about 100 watts plugged into the wall. When it’s plugged into the Ecoflow, it pulls a hundred watts for about a second, then goes to zero. Every minute or two, it’ll briefly pull 100 watts then go immediately to zero again. I tried it on the Ecoflow river with the same result.

I went through the manual and noticed it says not to use with a generator or inverter. Any idea why this is the case? And if it’s limited to sunbeam or a problem with how electric blankets work in general?

Thanks,
— DY

I just picked up a new Sunbeam electric blanket to use on a camping trip. It’s works fine plugged into municipal power but won’t run on the Ecoflow Delta 2.

It draws about 100 watts plugged into the wall. When it’s plugged into the Ecoflow, it pulls a hundred watts for about a second, then goes to zero. Every minute or two, it’ll briefly pull 100 watts then go immediately to zero again. I tried it on the Ecoflow river with the same result.

I went through the manual and noticed it says not to use with a generator or inverter. Any idea why this is the case? And if it’s limited to sunbeam or a problem with how electric blankets work in general?

Thanks,
— DY

Try an old school electric blanket. I have two chair size ones, and 2 queen size old ones (Sunbeam), they work great. They are the kind with just an analog dial on them and make a click sound when the thermostat turns them on/off.

My chair size blanket draw 100w and the queen blankets draw 180w..

Sunbeam is warning against modified sine wave inverters and unregulated generators. Pure sine wave inverters like the Eco Flow Delta and River should be indistinguishable from grid power. Please let us know if you discover what the problem is.

Any chance at 100 watts and a heater grid might be making it think there is a short and resetting?

I know I have problems on some of my stuff with my small inverter going to sleep when feeding things that don't pull but a few watts but 100 watts should be enough to keep that from being a problem.

This seems to be a common problem with power stations and small intermittent loads.

If a power station does not sense a constant load it will go to sleep and shut down the inverter to conserve the battery.

That can be a problem with appliances like an electric blanket, car fridges and other appliances that run intermittently or use a thermostat.

I run my 12 volt fridges off direct DC and my electric blanket off a standard pure sine inverter from the battery for that reason.

You can get around it if you have something else plugged in to the power station that is drawing a constant load.

This seems to be a common problem with power stations and small intermittent loads.

If a power station does not sense a constant load it will go to sleep and shut down the inverter to conserve the battery.

That can be a problem with appliances like an electric blanket, car fridges and other appliances that run intermittently or use a thermostat.

I run my 12 volt fridges off direct DC and my electric blanket off a standard pure sine inverter from the battery for that reason.

You can get around it if you have something else plugged in to the power station that is drawing a constant load.
Would love to know if this is the solution?

Try an old school electric blanket. I have two chair size ones, and 2 queen size old ones (Sunbeam), they work great. They are the kind with just an analog dial on them and make a click sound when the thermostat turns them on/off.

My chair size blanket draw 100w and the queen blankets draw 180w..
Good idea. Amazon carries one brand with an old school analog controller. Just ordered it.

We’ll see if that fixes it on Wednesday.

There are settings in the app to prevent this from happening. You can tell it to stay on no matter what.

No, that’s not the issue. You can set the inverter time out window on the Ecoflows. I have sleep disabled.

No, that’s not the issue. You can set the inverter time out window on the Ecoflows. I have sleep disabled.
I used my Rellorus electric blanket last night just fine from a pure sine inverter so it may be something specific to that blanket though I don't know why?

Good idea. Amazon carries one brand with an old school analog controller. Just ordered it.

We’ll see if that fixes it on Wednesday.

And as you're troubleshooting, try plugging in something else like a lightbulb, nightlight, or even a voltmeter into the adjacent plug, and when the electric blanket you have now shuts off, see if it is the Ecoflow killing power, or if it's only the blanket shutting off. Perhaps there is something in the electric blanket input circuit that says it doesn't like the power source and it's turning itself off or something.

That's why I figured to try a blanket without any fancy electronic controller or whatever, my blankets just work fine, and aren't picky about power coming into them, they just act like any typical resistive load, no electronic switching power supplies in them or anything.

Back