diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV 12lv can't be used in Cali as of aug 28 2023

Little did I know... Latest in the saga with PG&E. i screwed up the first application (applied in wrong category)
so they kept my money and cancelled my application. I reapplied with same drawings documents and now they
demand the following:
    1. CRD-PCS Capability – Battery inverter must be certified for PCS functionality. PCS CRD certification confirms that the storage system meets the NEM definition of No Grid Charging or No Storage Export and is considered an “addition” or “enhancement” to the NEM system and the entire system will be 100% NEM.

1. For CRD-PCS, your proposed inverter, EG4 Electronics LLC, 18KPV-12LV [240V] [SI1-SB] is not listed on the California Energy Commissions (CEC) list as being PCS CRD certified. Please reach out to the manufacturer and request if they can provide you documentation that the specific inverter above meets the PCS CRD requirements.
    2. Respond back to this email with the documentation so I can have the Distribution Engineering Team review the documents and approve the inverters for use.

1. Required documentation:
    • UL 1741 CRD test report summary, issued by an NRTL
    • Manufacturer’s equipment information and instructions document (as required by the UL 1741 CRD
Marcus_eg4 ? Guys ? I think I'm stuck again.
I’ll find something out for you. We had this very already what the heck.

Since the 18kpv and PowerPro battery are on the CEC list, does that mean it applies to SDG&E as well? Their list was a few years old, unless I’m looking in the wrong place. Is anyone here with SDG&E and using the 18kpv?

The CEC list applies to all the utilities in California. Some other states even use the CEC list
Ok thanks, and if a battery (such as the EG4 14.3 kWH WallMount Indoor that is similar to the PowerPro) is not included on that list does that mean a) the system would not pass certification, and b) not qualify for the California SGIP battery incentive?

I believe an ESS has to be on the CEC list to be eligible for SGIP funding. As far as I know the ESS includes the battery and the inverter as a system. That is a different question than the one in the title of the thread.

Last edited:
I have found that PG&E has their own list of equipment/requirements and the CEC list is the minimum.
The only way to see the PG&E list is during the application process. The 18kpv is now on the PG&E list of inverters
for grid tied without a battery? (maybe < 10 KWh battery size i think) but not on the list I need (>10 KWh battery)
(cause you MIGHT import the precious PG&E power during the day and resell it back to them at night and somehow that would be bad....)

I have found that PG&E has their own list of equipment/requirements and the CEC list is the minimum.
The only way to see the PG&E list is during the application process. The 18kpv is now on the PG&E list of inverters
for grid tied without a battery? (maybe < 10 KWh battery size i think) but not on the list I need (>10 KWh battery)
(cause you MIGHT import the precious PG&E power during the day and resell it back to them at night and somehow that would be bad....)
Precious indeed! haha. Solar good, um.. well only up to a point! That is odd that they would limit that, do they allow other inverters with batteries over 10? How would they tell if you just decided to add a battery a few months later?

I would guess they could tell if you sold back more than your production/battery size in a given night?
Also the 18Kpv has been on the CEC list as an inverter for 6 months now, but not all the boxes have been checked
(CRD-PCS functionality among others)

Note that if/when CRD PCS ever gets added to the UL listing, the intersection of 18kpv’s PCS modes and PG&E’s allowed PCS modes may not include any modes you care to use

I want a charge from solar only PCS Mode that will force discharge when peak starts, AND the ability to enable charge from grid/disable forced discharge. Set the first mode in summer and second mode in winter. That would enable me to go on EV rate with super peak and off peak.

Back